Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 777 cartridge loads for 45 lc

Boolit Mold

Hodgdon FFFG

Bouncing back and forth between my manuals, the forums, and Hodgdon reloading site I keep coming up with two discrepancies.
    1. Hodgdon states in scary looking red lettering; "Caution Do Not Use Triple 7 FFF in Cartridges" Yet I find it being used in forums and some reloading data.
    2. Hogdon states not to use fillers, yet I see numerous people state they use them successfully.
    Just gathering information slowly here, which is ok I guess, as when I compared my hand cast bullets to Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook they all went back into the lead melting pot.

My brother loves the 777 in his 1873 rifle. It's his repeating Kentucky long rifle.

I have used it in cartidges. Unimpressive accuracy.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    The theory of loading by volume facsinates me as through the years I have found that powder measures vary enough so that when I find a good load I weigh them from the measure. In that way I can use a different measure if the one I have is lost or misplaced, or used in another hunting pouch.
    Do you have a selection of powder measures, from different manufacturers, in a similar size?

Mix a single drop of Dawn liquid into a few ounces of water, to remove the 'skin tension'.

Set all measures to the same weight and use a scale to weigh the volume of water that each measure will hold.

If they are all set at (say) 50 grains, you would presume the water from all will weigh nearly the same ... whatever that happens to be.
    What may surprise you is how close to the marked 'weight' the scale will read.

The volume of even modern cartridge cases is often expressed in grains of water.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12