Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Older molds and proper storage

Boolit Bub

Older molds and proper storage

All

A friend brought several of his molds for my use and keeping in our 2 man club... (I'm retired and he aint). Several were stored in old pickle and mayo jars in a desiccant. They seem ok but I may have to break the jars to get them out.

Others were loose of attached to handles. they all have a lead bullet with sprue attached inside the molds. Some are aluminum, others steel or brass (Lyman, RCBS, MOE, MP, SAECO, others). The steel ones have a rust layer on the surface of the blocks (thin).

MY QUESTION: Should I try to open the molds now and clean then? I have heard that many soak their stored molds in KROIL as a rust prevention... What say ye???

moose

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Don't open, just immerse in Kroil as they are and store in ZipLok bags.

Le Loup Solitaire
    There are a few different ways to successfully store molds and if the method you have chosen is working then that is ok. I have not used dessicants, but have preferred to use a product called "Clenzoil" which is a hydrocarbon based substance. It also is used as a cleaning agent for rifles, pistols and shotguns. It also has rust preventing qualities. I have used it for many decades; placed the molds then in a sealable plastic bag and then in small jar or a GI ammo can. Never had a rust problem. However the mold when it has to be used must be cleaned/de-oiled with a solvent such as acetone or mineral spirits (nasty to work with so do so with good ventilation around) and Q-tips, then dry with a hair dryer and pre-heat as you would normally do. All my molds are iron including H&G, Lyman, RCBS and Saeco. Product can be found on the net. LLS

Boolit Bub
    thanks

Boolit Bub
    As far as cleaning the light rust off the mould both inside and out I bought some Naval Jelly made by Lock Tite at Wally World for about $5 and after letting it sit on my Lyman single cavity for NO MORE than 10 min the mould was completely rust free. After that I washed the mould with very hot water to get the cleaner off, dried it WELL and then sprayed it down with Rem Oil and wrapped it in a cloth and put in plastic bag.