MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: I did it!

I did it!

First casting session, .44cal , RCBS 245gr. KT. I think they turned out pretty good. I'm not fast but since I do it for enjoyment, it's O.K. I had a little frosting, let the alloy get a little warm. I'll learn. They actually cast a little over 250grs, which I'm happy about.

Thanks for all the help guys, couldn't have done it without you all!

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bullets 005.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Them are looking good, wait till you shoot them....that's where the smile really gets big

Larry Gibson

Nice job!! Welcome to a new world!! .... and enjoy ..

Nice job, I have been casting a long time and it still puts a smile on my face when I make a new batch.

Now, throw them in a tumbler for 15 min. and all the frosting will go away.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to a great hobby. And don't worry about how fast you cast them. It's only how well you cast them that counts.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    Now, throw them in a tumbler for 15 min. and all the frosting will go away.
    NO! Don't do that, it'll beat those pretty bases all up and they won't shoot worth a darn.

Frosting is caused by MOULD temperature, NOT pot temperature directly. Mould temperature is controlled by casting speed, how long you leave the boolit in the blocks after cutting the sprue, the size of the blocks, and to a certain extent how much heat you're putting in there each pour (the effect of alloy temp). Frosting isn't a bad thing at all unless it gets so bad that the boolits look sandblasted and have poor fillout and undersized driving bands. Light frosting is considered GOOD at my house!

Anyway, those boolits look pretty good to me, welcome to the addiction! Just wait 'till you send them downrange and then hurry home to cast some more!

Gear

Banned

i shoot for the flat grey look.
    it's not frosted, and not shiney.
    just a galvanized grey look.
    i know i am keeping a constant mold temp this way, and adjust the pot temp down about 15* once i get it, then just cruise at a consistent pace.
    i have a couple of molds that demand i loaf along at thier pace watching the sprue set up and suck in.

nice looking boolits b.t.w.

Boolit Grand Master

Frosty is not a problem. Don't worry about it. If the mold fill out is good and bases
    look sharp cornered, and you fit the boolit to the throats, they will shoot just fine.

Have you slugged the barrel and throats? this is critical info, you want to start
    at least at throat diameter, .001 or .002 over us usually a bit better. Use a
    micrometer, not a caliper, for this kind of measurement.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I wish my first attempt looked that good. You are on the right track.

Doug

Boolit Master

Just think of the satisfaction you will have when you have assembled 50 of those nice new .44 Mag or .44 Spcl rounds and put them in a recycled ammo box.

If you had bought them in a store they would have cost at least $30 and you made the whole box for less than $4. If you do the math you will quickly realize that each time you fire off one of your rounds you are saving a buncha money.

Also realize that by using lead alloy boolits instead of copper bullets your barrel will last pretty much forever. At the speed which we shoot lead boolits you will not be cooking the barrel of your firearm.

When firing my M-1 Garand and using surplus copper FMJ rounds at the normal 2700 FPS velocity my barrel is warm after one clip. Hot by 2 and Very Hot by the time I finish off 24 rounds at the end of the 3rd clip.

However if using my handloaded lead alloy boolits, PP'd and using filler I am cruzin' over the hard packed sand at only 1750 FPS and the barrel hardly gets warm until after the 4th clip of ammo.

Even buying CMP cheapo Greek Surplus ammo by the spam can I am paying more than .25 cents a round. Did I buy some? Yup....4 spam cans. I fired off one can to learn how to shoot the Garand and I saved the ammo for reloads. The remaining 3 spam cans are my go to WTSHTF auxiliary ammo supply.

When I make ammo for the Garand I figure that my cost per round is much higher than with pistol ammo as they use much more powder and the brass life is shorter. Even with all that I believe that I am saving at least 75% on each round fired if I make them myself.

On the other hand if I ever could figure out how much money I have spend on reloading, casting and expendible supplies over the years I may have not saved so much after all. I must have $10,000 worth of STUFF which I have bought over the last 16 years. I confess to having bought molds for which I have not a weapon. Saving cases again for a caliber which I do not load. Now it is to the point of having a back up mold for a favorite etc.

It is a lifetime addiction..enjoy it!
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    Looks good!!! I'll bet the groups will too!
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

They look pretty good to me, I'll PM my mailing address if you want me to test about 50 pounds of them for you.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves and just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that "they" are not out to get you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Az Rick View Post
    ...I had a little frosting,...Rick
    Until you said that I thought they were shiny. I've had worse.
    They look so good you should shoot them into a pile of fluffy soft pillows.
    Hate to see 'em get scratched.
    OK, it's just me being jealous...

Boolit Master

That was the first bullet I cast and so far has been the most accurate in more than a few .44's. My alloy was with 75% ww and 25% lino water dropped. I still have some loaded for my Super Redhawk which I rarely shoot.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Man
    Purty Boolits. I don't sweat frost, usually means things are working out well.

I meant to say vibrator, not tumbler. Sorry

Boolit Master
    Frost is ok means you got the heat you need, if you slow down just a bit, the mold will cool a little and the frosting will go away if you want that.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Thanks for the kind words Guys. It's pretty hot here for casting, probably over 100 in the garage. I'm hooked big time, can't keep from going out to look at them. I'll do a range report when I actually load some and get to shoot.

Best, Rick