Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Henry lever??

Boolit Master

Henry lever??

Would any of you recommend a Henry 30-30 lever action for shooting cast bullets? And why?
    And I already have the W94 and M336 so don't bother about those.
    Last edited by qajaq59; 08-17-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Monitor if this is in the wrong spot would you move it please? Thanks.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Master
    I can't say on the 30-30 but the 44 mag Big Boy Henry is a very nice lever action; beautifully made with very good craftsmanship. My father has had no issues at all with it other than having to deal with a fairly short COAL for function. He managed to accidently drop the magazine tube when cleaning and bent it a bit. He emailed Henry and they sent one out to him free of charge in less than two weeks time.............. so not too bad of customer service either.
    Last edited by RobS; 08-17-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

I got invited by the one of the top dogs at a Henry factory to talk about Henry's....He was going to show me his office collection. I can't wait.

Boolit Master
    My Henry 22 is light accurate and well made. I have never used one of their center fires but I have heard much good about them. Wish I could be more help but all I can say is they at least know how to make lever guns.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master
    I'd say that the Henry would be a great rifle to shoot cast in. I've never heard of someone not being happy with one.... And if they were, it was usually due to the user, and not the rifle.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy

I've got a Henry Big Boy in .44 and shoot cast in it all the time. It makes a great shooter and is super accurate off hand with the stock sights.
    Zbench

Boolit Master
    Zbench, I find a .44 mag for a hand gun in my cast hand book. Is that what you are referring to? I know nothing about the .44s at all. I've never had the opportunity to even see one, much less try it. I've always been a 30 caliber guy, using everything from the 30-30 to the 300 wm. If you can give me some info I'd appreciate it.

I use my cast 30-30s for hog hunting and I would suspect that a .44 would drop one? But if someone wants to go into a conversation about that I'd like to read it.

Maybe there's a .44 in my future? They certainly look like they'd be a piece of cake to cast and load. And a bullet that large must pack a good wallop.

Oh, one other thing. My eyes are not what they were, so I'd likely have to put a 4x scope on it. Is that going to throw the balance way off?

Thanks everyone for the replies. Qajaq59
    Last edited by qajaq59; 08-18-2010 at 11:27 AM.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    I got invited by the one of the top dogs at a Henry factory to talk about Henry's....He was going to show me his office collection. I can't wait.
    Would that be Anthony?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus