Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8MM Mauser Bore and CUP limits ???

Boolit Master
    I don't know much about the various renditions of the Mauser 98 and I'd like for someone who does to settle a question thats been bugging me lately.

Many years ago I was told that there were some Mausers that had a superior method of seating the barrel in the receiver ring.
    Not sure at all abut the details but IIRC some used an internal ring that the breech butted up against while the others did not.

I no the Springfield with it Coned breech is sometimes dissed for not fully supporting the casehead, though the coned breech is said to improve feeding.

As I remember it the fellow who told me this said that the VS24 and the CZ24 differed in the internal structure of the receiver ring, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what he said and which he believed to have the superior action.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    I don't know much about the various renditions of the Mauser 98 and I'd like for someone who does to settle a question thats been bugging me lately.

Many years ago I was told that there were some Mausers that had a superior method of seating the barrel in the receiver ring.
    Not sure at all abut the details but IIRC some used an internal ring that the breech butted up against while the others did not.

I no the Springfield with it Coned breech is sometimes dissed for not fully supporting the casehead, though the coned breech is said to improve feeding.

As I remember it the fellow who told me this said that the VS24 and the CZ24 differed in the internal structure of the receiver ring, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what he said and which he believed to have the superior action.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
    The 98 Mauser is the one that has the internal shoulder that the barrel snugs up against. The 1889, 1890, 1891, 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896 Mausers do not have any such inner "bulkhead" to strengthen the receiver. The older Mauser barrels tighten up against the front of the receiver ring only. No inner shoulder.

What's different about the Yugoslavian Model 1924 is there is no projection from the bolt face like other 98 bolts. The complete cartridge head is surrounded as the bolt locks closer to the breech of the barrel. This one feature is interesting but it wasn't used on subsequent Mauser actions far as I am aware (which may not be very far). Given a preference I'd pick the Vz24 over a whole lot of other 98 Mausers.

Dutch

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info Dutch. Got my Czeck last night late. She is nice! No real chance yet to clean her up and inspect her other than the once over. Reciever and bolt seem abit tighter than my Yugo, BUT... the reciever and bolt numbers don't really 'match' like the YUGO's. Yugo has the same 'stamping' on both...bolt and reciever. Barrel is new i 'guess' as no number anywhere. Same on the Czech. BUT..on the CZECH,,the bolt has what appears to me to be a 'hand scribbed' number on it that does match the reviever.. Strange..but,,it IS (as both are i assume) an arsental refinished rifle. So, tonite, when I get home,,will dissassemble the CZECH and get her soaking in Ed's Red.

Stock on Yugo is new ELM. Bit heavy but, well NEW..and very nice. The Czech stock is not new, but EXCELLENT condition and has 4 each rifle strap rings. Nice..handy... Plus the fornt sight cover is different. The Czechs is open while the Yugo is covered. Both nice..very functiona....Barrel onthe Czech is new to I assume..have not removed furniture to double check it...but will tonight...

So,,I did get my AIM 8MM ammo too.. they say 1950 vintage..looks it..on stripper clips which in handy... 150grain bullets...not the 198's. But will buy some 198's just to see the difference..and to say I have shot both...

If I can get things to work..will post pics of both on this site tommorrow... Am really proud of both..... $233 rifles delievered to my front door...

OK..I have one more to buy... Which will it be? The Yugo or the Czech? I think I can parahrase Dutch's opinion and cast his vote for him...the Czech...Yes Dutch? I mean..all other items being equall...age..# of rounds through the rifles...general condition... ( really like the 'side mount strap rings too!)

Nose Dive

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    The 98 Mauser is the one that has the internal shoulder that the barrel snugs up against. The 1889, 1890, 1891, 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896 Mausers do not have any such inner "bulkhead" to strengthen the receiver. The older Mauser barrels tighten up against the front of the receiver ring only. No inner shoulder.

What's different about the Yugoslavian Model 1924 is there is no projection from the bolt face like other 98 bolts. The complete cartridge head is surrounded as the bolt locks closer to the breech of the barrel. This one feature is interesting but it wasn't used on subsequent Mauser actions far as I am aware (which may not be very far). Given a preference I'd pick the Vz24 over a whole lot of other 98 Mausers.

Dutch
    Thanks that jogged my memory. It was the VZ24 enclosing the bolt face more completely that my friend was speaking of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12