RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm mauser??????

Boolit Master

7mm mauser??????

Hey There,
    Anyone do any cast shoot'in with any of the old military rifles in 7mm?
    Every old 7mm I've messed with have very oversize bores. Stanard 7mm
    molds just don't cut it. I've been sizing down the old 300336 lyman bullet
    for the 7.35 carcano to .289 by running thru a push thru die that Buckshot
    made for me. It seems to work allright, but do any of you guys have any
    loads you'd care to share? Thanks for any info.
    Denny

Banned
    I believe the forum had done a group buy for a soup can 7mm and it's fat for the old milsurps with the fat grooves and bores. Might ask someone to borrow their mold or cast up some for you.

Moderator Emeritus

That mold is sold through Mid-south shooters AIRC.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Just checked with Midsouth and there on backorder.
    They only come in a 6 cavity. Can someone give me the
    dimentions of this bullet?
    Thanks,
    Denny

Boolit Grand Master

I have loaded two different rifles I have for the 7mm. I didn't have much luck on the moulds either. I bought several hoping to get an oversized one but never happened. Both I could barely get on paper at 25y. One I never could get to shoot(the one with the biggest oversize bore) even with jacketed. The second was only slightly oversized, like .286 if I remember correct. I tried them with a little poly filler and and the better one went down to 1" at 25y. The other didn't improve. Both Spanish Mausers.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    My old Lyman 285308 casts at .285, which is good for the Rem. 7mm mag, but I have to 'beagle' it for the old Rem. Rolling Block 7mm. It's not a perfect solution, but beagling does work. Even if (when) they're out of round they shoot pretty good, I think they get round real quick when fired.

Super Moderator

............Denny, I have several good loads for the 7x57's but only have two 7mm moulds. One is the RCBS 7mm-168 and the other is the Lyman 150gr Loverin 287405 (which the knuckleheads dropped).

These were shot out of a M98/08 Brazilian Mauser at 50 yards. Issue sights and trigger. The boolits weren't scaled and the charges (full cases of the listed surplus powders) were thrown. Standard WW LRP in Winchester cases. The top group has 4 in an inch. The bottom group of 5 has 3 in 1-1/8" but those 2 high ones wrecked it . However for the minimal amount of effort expended and the velocities obtained they're not bad.

A slower load that is my favorite with either boolit is 23.0 grs of H4198 & dacron. From the Mauser or my M1897 Rem RB the load gives about 1780 fps with the RCBS and a bit over 1800 fps with the Lyman.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    A bunch of years ago I bought some 7 mm mauser surplus bullets. They were gorgeous 149 gr sptzer boat tails that measured ,287" in diamerter. They worked really well in mil surplus rifles but not so good in a ruger 77 bolt action sporter due to their haveing to be squeezed down to go through the .284 bore. I never found much 7X57 mill surplus ammo but did have about 5000 bullets that i used up years ago.

In Remebrance

I have had some success, limited success, using the RCBS 28-168FN in my ancient, ratty 93 Mauser. Shooting them as cast (no sizing), snapping the GC on and lubing by hand or with Mule Snot has gotten my decent groups in the 12-1300 fps range. I haven't had time to play with it further.

Boolit Master

I to have a 98/08 Brazilian with a warn .287 groove Ø. I beagled an RCBS 7MM-168 to .290 Ø, made a .289Ø H&I size die for my LAMII.
    The breagled boolits have fins but they come off with a finger nail and I have to flair the GC to get them to fit.
    With scaled boolits the old gun shoots about like buckshots, only at 100 yards. My load is 16.5 of 2400 or 4227 lit by WW LP primers.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

In Remembrance

7x57.

OK, here goes. Use at your own risk. These are what I use in my 29" Model 98 rebuild. Scope is Bushnell 6-18x in Redfield Jr. mounts. Harris bipod.

Lyman #287641 WDWW as cast, GC'd, sized .284 base only just to seat GC, lubed LLA, CCI #250, 33.6 grns. (LEE scoop) WW #748, RP brass.

RCBS 285-168-SP beagled WDWW as cast, GC'd sized .284 base only just to seat GC, lubed LLA, CCI #250, 42.0 grns. (Lyman #55) WW #760, Win brass.

Just the other day, WITNESSED, killed a magpie @ ~400 yds., and put MANY consecutive shots on a basketball-sized grass clump in a cutbank at just under a kilometer. Ready now to help some friends lower the 'yote population. Rifle is zeroed @ 500m. These results are due to help received on this site from Buckshot and others. THANK YOU, GENTLEMEN!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mauser 001.jpg  
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

In Remebrance

You're plunking cast boolits into a basketball sized pattern at .6 of a mile!? Dang, you da man. I thought I was doing good shooting driftwood in a pond at 250! I like the idea of the 29" barrel too, something kind of humble and yet impressive about those old long barrels.

In Remembrance

Started young Bret, and now shooting for the 73rd year, but the Pb boolit thing is all due to help received here. Five years ago I couldn't get lead to shoot either far OR fast.
    Life Member NRA.

You can get real nice quality replacement barrels for the old Mausers for reasonable prices. They generally cost less than barrel blanks. Midway has a good selection of them. If you hang a good barrel on the old girl, she'll be happy to eat standard diameter ammo all day long.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

In Remembrance

Took my daughter and SIL back to where I shot the magpie with the 7x57 as noted above. She got a kiyoot off that dirt pile with her .257: RCBS 257-120-SP WDWW as cast GC'd, 18.2 Grs. IMR #4227, CCI 200. Not DRT, but rolled over twice before lost in the canola field upper left. That dirt pile is ~400 yds, twice a person's height, excavated from the farm's 'dead pit' which is 'bait'. Thanks once again for the mould, Cactus Farmer!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Range day 001.JPG  
    Last edited by HABCAN; 07-13-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    Life Member NRA.

In Remembrance

From THAT bench to THAT dirt pile 0530 hrs. this day with Lyman #287641 load above.............
    two kiyoots. One more time.........THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!!
    Life Member NRA.

Inspiring story. If you can do that with a 7 x 57mm I should be able to get my 270 Win up to it.

Have had enjoyable time with milsurp 7x57's (.287 bore) using molds lapped out to .289 and sized .288-289 with lapped sizer. Favorite is RCBS 168gr. and 16.5gr 2400.
    Lapping is a bit of hassle, but in my opinion worth every bit of the effort.
    Try attaching couple of pics of 8mm mould.
    Best Regards,
    Tom
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0802_mold_lapping_01a_compress.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	23890
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0802_mold_lapping_04_compress.JPG 
Views:	443 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	23891

Boolit Man
    i guess i got lucky...my spanish '93, chilean '95 and czech vz-24 all handle lee's 7mm cast boolit, sized @ .285", well with 17 grains of allliant 2400.

budman

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I got a Lee mold and gas checks off the board here. No sizer yet, I've been supergluing the checks on and shooting as cast. 16 gr of 2400 shoots quite well. TL in LLA.

But then the bullet is dropping at .286 and the bore measures .286.... if I tried to go with any sort of hot load or softer bullet, I'm sure it would lead the snot out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast