Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Remington 7400

Boolit Buddy

Remington 7400

I am trying to get an idea of what to expect from my Remington 7400 in 270 win. I bought this rifle new in the late fall of 2004,but never really got around to playing with it. It was more of an impulse buy and I thought that I needed it. Since I got it late in the deer season I continued to use my Mossberg 100atr (also 270). The following year I busted the synthetic stock trying to install sling swivels (drilled hole too small). and it has been in the safe since. I recently got a ramline replacement stock for the rifle. The stock has a little longer length of pull, but enough that the scope set up will not work due to eye relief I already have off set rings with 3-9x50 scope. I was looking at the Bushnell Banner Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Long Eye Relief Multi-X Reticle from midway or the Cabela's Big Game Turret Tactical Scopes. I have a very limited budget since I have not worked since my motorcycle crash in april. I would really like to make this my go to gun, but I have read some negative posts regarding this rifle and it jamming and wearing out. I have not had a jam yet, but I only shot it a few times. I never even got around to sighting in the scope that I had put on it. I have hunted with a 270 for a long time and it replaced a 30-30 win 94. I will only be shooting around 150 yrds or less. I load my own rounds which is a 130gn hornady sst ontop of 58.5gn of h4831sc. This combo is very effective and accurate in my mossberg.

Boolit Master

Most of the stuff you hear on the jamming and wearing out is on the models 740 and 742 versions of the rifle hopefully Remington fixed the issues when they made the 7400 that was their plan anyway. Of course the 742 was supposed to be a fix for the 740. But I have not heard of any issues with the 7400 so you should be ok in that respect. These rifles are pretty accurate at least any of the older ones I have owned or shot have. My 3006 is as accurate as I can hold it. Might want too look around for a decent wood stock replacement as most of that ramline stuff is junk.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.