RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New .223 questions

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range

New .223 questions

This week I'll be picking up a brand new Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .223. It's a 26" bbl w/ 1:12 twist. I'm gonna start out with jacketed as I need to learn one thing at a time. (only cast and reload low pressure pistol right now). I ordered some 55gr. FMJBT and some Reloder 10X. Does this sound OK?. Other question, what should I do to barrel as far as prepping it? After cleaning, maybe JB bore paste lapping or something? Or just shoot it?
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master
    I'd clean the bore good to get out any dirt or debris from manufacturing, and then just shoot it, personally. No personal experience with RL-10, so I can't comment on that.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I'd agree with above, just clean it out and shoot it. I wouldn't shoot max loads through it the first time and just keep the barrel cool. After that just do whatever you're going to do with it.

Boolit Grand Master

FMJ bullets are not a very accurate design. I recommend you start with a 52 grain BTHP Match bullet. You may well find a bullet that your rifle likes better, but I have never seen a rifle that will shoot these poorly.

10X is one of my favorite .223 powders for bullets under 60 grains. Very consistent velocities, stable over a wide temperature range and very low residue.

imashooter2: Is the 55 grain a good weight in a 1:12 twist barrel?

stephen perry

.223 Loading

After the 10x runs out try a few others. Standby powders for small base cases are 4895, 4198, WW748, and H335. You'll probably find tha 55 grn is the best bullet for the .223. Try Sierra Blitz and SPBT. But all the 22 bullet companies make a great line of 22 bullets especially Berger 52,55,60. If you Cast later you might try RCBS 22-055-FN.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

thanks stephen, I was hoping the weight was OK because I mentioned the rifle to a guy I know and he said 1:12 wouldn't like heavier than 60 grain bullets. I was kinda checking to see if he was right

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bill* View Post
    Yes that is a very good weight for that twist. As mentioned the 55 FMJBT are not the most accurate bullets. I would suggest the Hornady 55 gr SX for that rifle with that twist. I've been shooting the .223 in that twist since '68 and find it works extremely well. I would suggest 25.5 - 26 gr of H335 with a SR magnum primer or WSRs with that bullet. That is my "go to" load for all my 12" twist .223 and it alwys shoots less than moa without tweaking.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bill* View Post
    55 grain bullets should have no problem stabilizing in a 1:12 barrel. There may be some odd very long ogive bullet that I'm not aware of out there, but certainly any FMJ type 55 grain will work.

My complaint with the FMJ is the physical design of the bullets. The inconsistent bases provided by the open end are just not conducive to best groups.

All the bullet companies make high quality match and varmint bullets. Experiment a bit, but 52 grain BTHP Match should give you a solid baseline capability of your rifle.

Thank you all
    BTW this bullet: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ber=1390221585 (cheap is good right now)
    I'll have to try these first as I already ordered them. When they're gone I'll take your suggestions. THANX....Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Well if you want cheap, the Winchester FMJ is just the ticket.

I guess if nothing else, it'll let you get all excited when you finally pass a good bullet down the tube.

Boolit Master

The M16 and M16A1 had 1:12 twist for the issued 55 gr FMJ M193 ammo. The later verisons went to 1:7 twist for the longer and heavier M856 tracer to stabilize in cold artic conditions.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    As stated by other people the FMJ bullets are a good plinking bullet but not known for stellar accuracy. In several of my bolt action 223s with both 12 and 9 twist barrels the FMJ seam to average around 1.25 to1.5 MOA groups. The same rifles shooting Hornady 55 gr SX bullets will cut those groups in half with the same load and everything. I have been using the Hornady SX 50 and 55 gr bullets since 1968 and they have never let me down. My only problem is that they are hard to find these days as Hornady wants to sell their V max bullets to make more money. I have tried the V max and they shoot very well but do not shoot any better than the SX bullets. As for popping varmints they all work just fine.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Years ago , I had a Remington varmint special that would shoot the full metal jacket slugs into about an inch and a quarter . The slightly more expensixe fifty-five grain soft points with a cannalure would usually hold a seven-eigths of an inch group . I never tried the match bullets but a friend of mine uses them to good effect in the rifle now .

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Well if you want cheap, the Winchester FMJ is just the ticket.
    Yeah, it's not want, but after I pay for the rifle it'll be beans and franks for a coupla weeks

stephen perry

700 Trigger

Bill
    I have several Remington bolts but am not familiar with todays 700's. If you have an adjustable trigger your OK. If you don't I would suggest either a Timney or a Shilen trigger. It does no good to have a great barrel, high dollar scope, and good stock if you have a bad trigger. For field shooting a bad trigger doesn't slow the gun up. But on paper target or silohuette a bad trigger turns a great rifle into a barely average one. Past Remington adjustable triggers were the best in the Industry. I would hope Remington still has adjustable triggers in their 700's. If liability concerns have bit Reminghton like they bit Ruger you might need an aftermarket trigger. Like I said my last Remington bolt was in the 80's. A good after market trigger can make the difference between 1/2" groups at 100 as compared to 2" groups with a bad trigger.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Stephen: I haven't seen it yet, but I looked at a bunch of new ones on gunbroker to check prices and noticed a few listings mention the "Mark X" trigger. The fact that it's mentioned, hopefully means it's something the sellers are "bragging" about. So we'll have to see what that is when I get the call that it's in and go get it.

OK, I got the call,went, and just opened the box. It has the "X-Mark Pro" trigger. Remington trigger hang tag states-(and I quote) "3 1/2 lbs out of the box" and "2 lb range of adjustment" followed by "With virtually zero creep, it breaks like glass and is the finest factory trigger available today"
    Now, is the adjustment range up,down,or split. I'll find that out when I get my trigger pull gauge I lent out

Boolit Master

If you want a good cheap bullet look at www.grafs.com item No. HRN2266B. These are the Hornady 55 SP with the cannelure. $9.99 a hundred and shipping is free. Great bullets too they have shot very well in everything that I have loaded them for in 22 centerfires.

stephen perry

Bill

If the trigger will go down to 24 oz that's a good range/field trigger.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast