Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Cast Boolits AR15 Upper

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    It may fire, like a 40 will in a 10mm, but it wouldnt headspace properly, therefore it may not be just real easy on the brass.
    Sorry to be ignorant, so the 10mm mag. is longer I'm assuming? If so, this is promising, now to find a matching handgun.

Boolit Master

Yes case length on the 10mm mag is 1.255, hot little sucker.

Banned

ummm something a bit different.
    i know this fits the ar-15 mag with about 1/8th in to spare.
    it's the 204 ruger cut back to the shoulder with a 250 gr saeco seated to the crimp groove. or to the front driving band.
    it mikes out at 381 over the boolit and at 276 at the base it should fireform easily enough.
    feed well with the boolit shape, be totally unique, and take right at 23-24 grs aa-2300.
    it would of course duplicate the 357 max, but in a way the max never was.
    you would need to make a sizer die to neck up the trimmed cases and standardize a trim length.
    and i guess headspace on the case mouth.
    but it would be simple and effective.

Boolit Master
    The 10mm MAG sounds interesting. I found this on wikipedia on the 10mm caliber page:

Code:
    Name (mm/in) 	Bullet Diameter Case Length 	Rim 		Base 		Shldr 	Neck 		OAL
    10mm Auto 	10.16 (.400) 	25.15 (.990) 	10.77 (.424) 	10.74 (.423) 	N/A 	10.74 (.423) 	32.00 (1.260)
    10 mm Magnum 	10.00 (.400) 	32.97 (1.298) 	12.01 (0.473) 	11.94 (0.470) 	N/A 	11.68 (0.460) 	40.89 (1.610)

Neat wildcats seem to abound these days.

Edit: More info on the 30 HRT: 30 HRT FAQ

The problem with the 204 is the same as with the .223 rem. Not enough tapper for 35 cal. And if you try to fireform the case too close to the base then you destroy your brass. Loose primer pockets, etc.
    Last edited by rufracer; 08-16-2010 at 12:26 PM.
    "Give to caesar what is caesar's, and give to God what is God's." The Christ

we could do a .358 auto based on the 10mm mag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357auto.gif  
    "Give to caesar what is caesar's, and give to God what is God's." The Christ

10mm Mag brass seems to be hard to find. Any known sources?
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Midway usa

backordered till the end of November.

Theodore Roosevelt

Any chance of pics of the sidecocking setup?

Theodore Roosevelt

the pictures I have seen of side cocking AR's at least in pistol calibers have the left side of the AR upper milled out to accept the "bolt handle" . The AR then still ejects to the right, like normal.

I would be all ga-ga eyed for a pistol caliber (9mm, .40S&W, or .45 ACP) AR carbine, with a side cocking handle, a folding stock, and something that took a double stacked magazine of 20 rounds or more.

anywhooo...just so I have this right and we are all on the same sheet of music, for the purpose of this thread, we are strictly talking about a complete AR upper that has the cast boolits logo on it, right?

I am ASSuming I would have to come up with my own lower...then buy whatever adaptor piece to screw into it to make it have a folding stock???

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Stihl View Post
    backordered till the end of November.
    I will contact starline, depending on how many want the 10mag and try to get a group by on brass for it.

Boolit Master

Russel, when we get the side folder group buy active (there are other calibers in front of it) you will be getting a complete upper, with the adapter. the charging handle is on the right, since the ejection port is long enough on the slab side uppers. And you are correct about the lower being absent in this case, the logo will be on the left side of the upper.

Doc, Ill see what I can do about side charge pics.

I've seen several style of sidecocking. Some that use the original charging handle and leaves a higher base over that so the handle doesn't reciprocate.

I would like to see some examples of the work being done more or less. If the buy gets some momentum, I'd like to get a head start on gathering funds (ie, parting with other stuff).

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

If you guys would like to save 80 bucks or so, I can have 2 grades of barrels. one would be adams and bennett barrels which will be a little cheaper. The higher grade/price will have premium mcgowan barrels. I would be happy to do this for those that wish to save a few bucks. From personal experience, mcgowans ss barrels cant be beaten for cast boolits slingers, but I know a smith that uses A&B's alot and has no complaints, let me know your thoughts on this.

Doc, our side charge design is utilitarian. We leave the old charging handle in place as a backup, and so no filler has to be made for the cut for said handle. The side charge will fasten directly to the bolt. we hope to offer a left side charge model on our pistol calibers later, but not for this buy as that would leave no place for the logo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    The uppers are slab side uppers, which means they have no forward assist or brass deflector, with an integral a-3 flat top.
    Something like this?

I noticed this at 6mmar.com when reading up on their 6mm wildcats. Reasons to go this route? Cheaper? Stronger?

Boolit Master

yes, alot like that.

82nd Airborne.....thanks for answering my questions.

@ Dannix, that is pretty much what I had pictured, if the sidecharging handled wasn't going to be on the left.

the only side folding stock I know of for an AR is the Para Ordnance TTR:

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_rifle.php

Its stock folds to the left side of the gun, and if the side charger was on the left, it would just get in the way...soooo....all the more reason to have it on the right.

Soooo....I gotta wonder then....there is no reason to have the forward assist notches on the bolt carrier group then, AND there is no reason to have a hole or slot milled in the back end of the upper for the traditional charging handle...it would be redundant....I am referring to the picture posted up above.

and by the way...since I already do a lot of pistol reloading and casting for USPSA/IDPA/steel plates, that is why my interest is soley in just a pistol caliber AR. This is just me personally, opinion-wise, but for rifle calibers I would just rather stick with something readily available... .223 or .308 ...rifle reloading for me is too much of a PITA as it is ...I would rather forego all the fire-forming aspects, etc....etc....

again, just my opinion...

@82nd Airborne....could you let me know if the pistol caliber versions are on the front burner...or somewhere in the back?

if on a back burner then I will just check back in a few months. Thanks!
    Last edited by Russel Nash; 08-16-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Boolit Master

Russel, This may not help much, but they are on a middle burner. The demand seems to be huge for a 45 acp/side charge/ side fold upper. As soon as we get the first gb in full production, I will be devoting most of my time to this, to get it out fast, while still making sure it is a well made product, something that I would by, were it the other way around. Im pretty siked about this one myself, then again I can get pretty worked up about a single shot.22.
    As far as extending the ejection port for the charging handle, on pistol calibers you dont have to because of the length, rifle cartridges you do. I see they left the original charging handle too, It just simplifies it so much.

again, thanks!

the last time I tried to register on AR15.com, it would NOT take my (free) yahoo.com email accounts...so i can't readily do a search to see what cool toys or options are available for pistol caliber AR carbines.

I am not really stuck on the .45 ACP either....I reload and cast for 9, .40 and .45 ACP....just whichever would come out as the most reliable and be able to hold 20 rounds or more in the mags.

Thanks!

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast