RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Duplicating the 32 rimfire

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Duplicating the 32 rimfire

FWIW, I thought I'd post something rather interesting that I worked out back in 1995. I had a #4 RB in .32 long and a spare breechblock that I've converted to centerfire, enabling me to shoot .32 Colt ammo in it too. I'd worked up a number of fun loads for it, and enjoyed shooting it.

I also had several hundred rounds of 32 RF ammo, but that's sort of expensive, and I don't like to waste it. And at least in my rifle, the new Navy Arms .32 RF ammo was worthless: It wasn't much better than 'minute of washtub' accurate, even at close range. But the .32 RF was legendary in a bygone generation for its game - getting abilities. So I decided to duplicate the 32 RF load in the 32 Colt CF case. I broke a round of old Union Metallic .32 short ammo down, and found it was an 80g bullet (heeled of course) over 2.4 grains of fine flake smokeless powder. Several rounds established that it had just enough power to penetrate a pressure treated 2x4 (sideways), and dent the board below.

I tried several powders, but found that 2.2 to 2.3 grains of Unique under a 1/8" thick wax wad did the job nicely. The closest match on hand for the 80g bullet was the 85g Lyman 311419, which I used for most testing. It doesn't have a heel, so I couldn't load it in a .32 Colt case. I just dropped it into the chamber before adding a case charged with powder and held together with a wax wad over the powder. The wad (beeswax softened with enough petroleum jelly to keep it from cracking when a case was pushed through it) served to contain the powder charge as well as lube the bullet. This duplicated the ballistics of the .32 RF round to a "T".

This was a great little plinking load for the #4 RB, but it wasn't so great in the squirrel woods because it was such a bother to keep lubed bullets free from pocket lint. But when I found that an unsized bullet would slip into the chamber, I realized the lubing operation could be eliminated, as the wax wad would do the job alone. I just kept one shirt pocket full of unsized bullets and the other one full of .32 Colt Long cases that were loaded with powder and topped with wax wads. It was really very little trouble to drop them in the chamber, one after another. The little rifle wouldn't win any bench matches, but for hunting purposes, accuracy was quite good, while noise was very low, and recoil of course was non-existent. I also got similar results with Lyman 3118 slugs (of wheelweights), and eventually came to favor that bullet in the little boy's rifle.

Unfortunately, my eyesight had faded with age and illness, and I had a real problem focusing on the iron sights and the target together. So until I got a chance to scope the #4, I decided to do the same thing with my #3 Ruger in .30 - 40 Krag. However, I decided to lube the bullet and seat it normally, since I didn't need a heeled bullet for the 30 - 40. But I used a tuft of cotton (~0.2-0.3 g) to hold the powder charge down to the base of the case, where it would be easily ignited.

I figured to start by testing the penetration of a 30 - 40 loaded with 311419 and 2.3g of Unique, just to get an idea how much power loss would result from the lower pressure due to the much larger case. I was astonished to find exactly the same penetration in the pressure treated two by four lumber. Apparently, the more powerful rifle primer makes up for the larger case volume. In any case, it worked fine, and I suspect the same formula will work pretty well in most any .30 or .32 caliber rifle case. I put 7 shots through the same hole at about 35 feet from the 30-40, shooting from a rest inside my shop. The eighth shot left it a one - hole group, but opened it up from about 0.35" to about 0.5". (The 'rest' was a rickety old ironing board, and I think I leaned into it at the wrong moment.) But it's a mild report, zero recoil load with plenty of accuracy for the squirrels around here.

A special note on the effectiveness of these loads: I've read that the reason that the .22's replaced the .25 and .32 RF loads was because the .22's offered a flatter trajectory, making it easier to hit game in the woods. While it's quite true that the .22's DO have flatter trajectories, I've noted that they have disadvantages that are largely overlooked today.

A clean hit in a vital area with a .22 means Brunswick Stew on the table, and no mistake. But it also means a sharp "CRACK!" sound that is completely foreign to the woods. It takes a while before the alarm fades and you can hunt effectively again. More often than not, it also means more or less bloodshot meat loss from over expansion of the hig(er) velocity bullet. And that's with good shot placement. But poor bullet placement WILL occur, if only because the dang squirrel moves just as the trigger is pulled. Poor placement results in unnecessary suffering and considerably more disturbance in the woods from the squirrel's struggles, from a second shot, or from the sound of the hunter rushing to deal with the situation.

I actually had ‘twin’ #4 Rolling Blocks: One in .22 LR, and the other in .32 Long, which enabled me to make a good comparison of the two rounds. It has been my experience that the .32 RF (or loads duplicating it) is actually a much superior hunting round in the woods. Granted, it does suffer from a curved trajectory, but you'd be surprised how little difference that makes in the woods, where shots at small game frequently occur at 10 or 20 yards and seldom exceed 35 or 40 yards. And the lower velocity prevents bloodshot meat.

The 32 caliber has well over twice the cross sectional striking area of 22's, which seems to offer considerably greater allowance for aiming error (or just bad luck). A squirrel hit anywhere in the body with a .32 seldom struggles at all. It's usually a 'snap' from the rifle and a resulting 'thump' as the squirrel hits the ground, dead as a doornail. And that's another advantage of the slower .32 round: The low velocity doesn't require the higher pressures that give a .22 such a sharp report. Shoot a .32, and the sound is much like a small twig falling to the ground. There is essentially no disturbance of the woods. I've actually shot squirrels while surrounded by a flock of wild turkeys without alarming the birds. They kept on feeding on the acorns, and I kept on hunting. (BG)

Yes, I like .22's, and I still own - and use - a barrel full of them. (Mostly for targets and teaching gun safety to kids.) But that doesn't mean I can't see their limitations. And yes, I still use them in the woods in spite of those limitations. But for a delightful fall woods ramble and for sheer pleasure, I find the .32's a refreshing change of pace, and a much better overall choice. And the reloads that duplicate their performance lets me ‘re-learn’ the feel and handling of a deer rifle while sharpening my hunting skills. Try it. I think you'll like it.
    Last edited by Molly; 08-09-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I shoot squirrels with a 7.62x39 bolt rifle with a 130gr boolit and about the same powder load (3.5gr Unique) and I will say you are 100% correct in your assessment of what that bigger boolit can do to squirrels and rabbits.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Good read. I had all my 32 long RF stolen so had to convert my Favorite to 32 SW Long. I thought the old large rimfires where sure neat and wish someone would make some more reasonable ammo for them.

Boolit Master

As I recall, my 311419 is gas checked. Mebe I missed it but were you using it checked or unchecked? Thanks and regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    As I recall, my 311419 is gas checked. Mebe I missed it but were you using it checked or unchecked? Thanks and regards, Woody
    I used it with the gas check, but the cost of GC was a prime mover in my going to 3118 shortly thereafter. 311419 was the closest for weight, but it has such a short bearing length that I figured it needed all the support I could give it.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I have used the 3118 bulet in my 30-30 for years for small game usually loaded with around 5 gr of Unique. Mine makes more noise but it is a great small game load in the woods. I have to agree that they beat the 22 RF completely for game getting. In a 20 inch carbine they sound like a 22 short and anchor squirrels and rabbits with great ease.

Boolit Master

I have used the Lyman 313249 and the simiwadcutter of the same weight in 30-30 and 30-06 over 3.5 of Green Dot for a small game load. In the old 1917 it was very effective on small game. I have often thought a 32 S&W rifle would be a fun and effective gun.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    ...I have often thought a 32 S&W rifle would be a fun and effective gun.
    It is indeed, but DO NOT make the same mistake I did. I had a little Colt .32 revolver, and spent several dollars getting it converted into a little revolving rifle, just for squirrel hunting. It was the prettiest little thing you ever saw. But I only shot it ONCE! Bringing the barrel / cylinder gap back so close to my face also meant bringing the gas jet from the cylinder gap close to my face too. My ears rang for an hour! Despite its beauty, it became an instant wall-hanger, and lived there on the wall of my shop being admired by one and all until someone decided they just HAD to have it. I don't think he really believed my story about the ear-splitting report. Or maybe he just intended to shoot it at the range, with ear muffs on every time. I dunno. But I think I may have a clue why the Colt Revolving Rifle was not a big commercial success.

If you ever decide to get one built, get a decent rifle action, put at least an 18 inch barrel on it, and have a ball. I've got one of those small Uberti rolling block actions that is going to go that way some day soon.
    Regards,

Molly

Boolit Master

Brings back memories of a little Crescent rolling block that I made into a 32 S&W using a 308 barrel. The S&W shorts just made a pop sound and every shot would hit a quarter at 25 yards. It's hard to say who copied who with the Crescent and Remington #4. About the only difference I could find is the trigger/breach block/ extractor spring was just the opposite one from the other and the take down is different but mine was a solid frame.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a No. 2 Rolling bloack that I converted to centerfire by modifying a breechblock from one of the RB pistols. Since heel based molds are so common; I have been wondering if the Lee soupcan would work, perhaps by enlarging the gascheck shank a few thousandths. My thinking is that I need to find a workable boolit before I start worrying about reloading dies.

The bore on mine is a little rough. With someof the first batch of Navy Arms .32 Long RF, it leaded badly. With current production Winchester .32 Short Colt it doesn't lead.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    FWIW, I thought I'd post something rather interesting that I worked out back in 1995. I had a #4 RB in .32 long and a spare breechblock
    Molly,

A most interesting and informative post! I thank you for the information you have shared on a subject where info is quite rare!

Timely too........ For me personally, as I have recently acquired my father's Steven Favorite in .32 Long RF. I can remember shooting it some half century ago with some ammo I had found somewhere; .32 Long RF even hard to find then. It was quite accurate we thought with Longs; not so good with Shorts..

I was pondering modifying a breechblock to centerfire as I discovered your post.
    I also pondered chucking bullets into a 5/16" collet and turning a 'heel' on them. Now I think your 'breech seating' method may be the way to go! I have a thousand or so old Alberts .32 98gr Hollow base wadcutters that mic .314" which might made a dandy small game bullet!

I plan to save all (not many) of my fired rimfire cases. Even finding someone to re-prime the RF case if possible would be an interesting option.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Eutectic

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    ...The bore on mine is a little rough. With someof the first batch of Navy Arms .32 Long RF, it leaded badly. With current production Winchester .32 Short Colt it doesn't lead.
    Robert
    Try putting a few rounds through it using something like 3118 that is lubed with J-B compound. I've done it in several rifles, and have had NO detectable wear on the bore. It won't fill in rust pits, but it will clean them up and turn a dark bore into one that is mirror bright.
    Regards,

Molly

Quote Originally Posted by Eutectic View Post
    Molly,

A most interesting and informative post! I thank you for the information you have shared on a subject where info is quite rare!

I plan to save all (not many) of my fired rimfire cases. Even finding someone to re-prime the RF case if possible would be an interesting option.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
    Eutectic
    I appreciate the appreciation! (BG) It was an interesting and fun experience all right. But let me caution you against trying to reprime the fired cases. My hair raises at the thought. I've done it. It's NOT a good thing. First of all, most of the priming in those days was mercuric, which leaves traces of mercury in the case when it's fired. Mercury will leave no visible evidence, but it absolutely DESTROYS the strength of the brass on a molecular level. Even if you managed to re-prime the case, it would disintegrate when fired, and give you a face-full (or an eye-full)of gas and metal. Not a good thing.

There two exceptions to the above. Modern new-made ammo won't have mercuric priming, and that problem goes away. But it leaves plenty of others.

The other exception is original loads that used black powder. Black powder generates so much residue that it dilutes the mercury to the vanish point, and the cases are safe from that perspective.

But even if you have safe cases, you have to deal with the priming compound. Believe me, it's nothing to play with. Even tiny amounts are highly destructive when it goes off, and sometimes all it takes is to look at it the wrong way. Pressing it into the hollow rim of a case doesn't bear thinking about. It's done commercially using wet compounds that are spun into place and then dried. Less than a pinch of priming compound would involve you in a fate that could involve the intimate use of a closed casket and would certanly result in exhorbitant increases in your insurance rates. Even the quantity in a single .22 short will do unpleasant things to your fingertips if you are foolish enough to try to remove it for re-use in another round. Believe it. I KNOW.

And even if you get past all those difficulties, you still have the problem of dead spots in the rim that have no compound because it was crimped shut by previous shots.

Believe me, you're a lot better off having your breechblock converted to centerfire. It's a LOT cheaper than the doctor, and much more satisfactory in the long run.
    Regards,

Molly

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Small game loads-

Molly, an excellent article filled with useful experiences and info!
    Sounds an awful lot like the 310 Cadet cartridge, doesn't it? My cadets have been thumping a lot of paper this year, so I'll get them out in the alfalfa on the ground-squirrels shortly.
    Little rifles, lead boolits, small charges of Unique- What fun!
    Small game hunting is good for the soul!

358wcf

Quote Originally Posted by Eutectic View Post
    Even finding someone to re-prime the RF case if possible would be an interesting option.
    WOW!

Please don't take my quote above to mean I would try re-priming rimfire myself much less recommend it for anyone else!!

By 'someone' in the quoted sentence above, I was referring to a rimfire manufacturer that might re-prime .32's wet by spinning the case as is done by commercial loaders for priming .22RF.

Molly makes a good point on old brass as well. Not worth the chance...

The .32 Short Colt using Molly's method of 'breech seating' the bullet first would probably mean the case wouldn't need resized at the low pressures for duplicating .32 Rimfire. No seating die either... A #10 (or#23) RCBS shell holder should prime using my hand tool....... Biggest job is modifying the breechbolt..... Well, off to the milling machine.....

Thanks again Molly for 'planting' the seed!

Eutectic

>By 'someone' in the quoted sentence above, I was referring to a rimfire manufacturer that might re-prime .32's wet by spinning the case as is done by commercial loaders for priming .22RF.

>Molly makes a good point on old brass as well. Not worth the chance...

Which is exactly why no manufacturer would even consider repriming old cases. MUCH safer to just make up new cases that are known to be safe. And even there, it takes a 'run' of millions of rounds to make it worth the trouble, which is why there isn't much in the way of new RF ammo on the market.

>The .32 Short Colt using Molly's method of 'breech seating' the bullet first would probably mean the case wouldn't need resized at the low pressures for duplicating .32 Rimfire. No seating die either... A #10 (or#23) RCBS shell holder should prime using my hand tool....... Biggest job is modifying the breechbolt..... Well, off to the milling machine.....

The 'breech seating' consisted of nothing more than dropping the loose, unsized, unlubricated cast bullet into the chamber and then dropping the charged case in on top of it. Ummm. I guess I wasn't explicit enough with my loading information. I made it a goal to have a combination of case length and bullet bearing length that filled the chamber. Depending on the particular bullet I was playing with at the time, sometimes I had to trim a .32 Colt Long case back to achieve this fit. I never had any need to resize the cases either. And you can prime them with a 32 S&W shellholder. It's a real hoot!

The biggest thing you have to watch out for is the temptation to jack up the load "just a little', because these useful loads are so darn quiet. Don't be deceived! These little popgun loads have the power to go through the side of a 55 gallon steel drum and put a good dent in the other side.

If you do jack up the load, you lose the quietness that is so nice in the woods. That's OK if you just want to wander meadows for groundhogs. Just don't exceed standard loading data for the .32 S&W CF long: These old guns were never designed or intended to handle anything more than black powder pressures. I wouldn't want anyone to get carried away with enthusiasm over my postings, and maybe damage a good old gun - or a good old eyeball!!

Molly
    Last edited by Molly; 08-12-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    Regards,

Molly

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    Try putting a few rounds through it using something like 3118 that is lubed with J-B compound. I've done it in several rifles, and have had NO detectable wear on the bore. It won't fill in rust pits, but it will clean them up and turn a dark bore into one that is mirror bright.
    Thanks for the idea, I have the group buy 314-120 that Wilbird ran a few years ago. My bore is bright, just rough. Of course the partial box of NAvay Arms ammo I got with the rifle had been rattling around for a long time, maybe the lube was beaten off of it.

The 'breech seating' consisted of nothing more than dropping the loose, unsized, unlubricated cast bullet into the chamber and then dropping the charged case in on top of it. Ummm. I guess I wasn't explicit enough with my loading information. I made it a goal to have a combination of case length and bullet bearing length that filled the chamber. Depending on the particular bullet I was playing with at the time, sometimes I had to trim a .32 Colt Long case back to achieve this fit. I never had any need to resize the cases either. And you can prime them with a 32 S&W shellholder. It's a real hoot!
    I just tried on of the above mentioned boolits in the chamber and measured the distance to the base of the boolit with my dial calipers. It was .970" from the face of the barrel to the base of the bullet, not going to be much brass trimming on this rifle.

Semi-fixed ammuntion just seems to be a PITA for small arms. Maybe I ought to just rechamber it for the S&W Long.

I kind of like the idea of a rifle in .32 H&R Magnum, but I really don't want to spontaniously disassemble a good rifle through stupidity.

Robert

>I kind of like the idea of a rifle in .32 H&R Magnum, but I really don't want to spontaniously disassemble a good rifle through stupidity.

You might want to consider a Savage or a Marlin in 32-20 first. Same power, but no problem with overloading the gun.

Question is, what are you going to use it for? It's got too much power for squirrels and rabbits, not enough for deer or elk. (BG)
    Regards,

Molly

Boolit Grand Master
    You might want to consider a Savage or a Marlin in 32-20 first. Same power, but no problem with overloading the gun.

Question is, what are you going to use it for? It's got too much power for squirrels and rabbits, not enough for deer or elk. (BG)
    Yeah , that's why it still has the RF chamber and a separate breechblock to shoot the centerfire Colt's. I don't like the idea of purposely overloading guns.

The idea of reaming the chamber got really set back when I bought a No 26 Husqvarna in .25-20 this spring,or I can download the 7.62X39 Mini-Mauser. I just like the older style guns better than newer ones.

Around here the only actual use I can think of would be calling predators, and then a repeater makes a whole lot more sense than a single shot.

Robert

In Remebrance

Nice to see someone else appreciates the old and slow small game rounds. The 32 S+W in a rifle barrel is a far different animal than in a 2" revolter. I've dropped porkies with a single shot to the head using the 311316 and a smidge of SR7625 from 32 S+W. That slow moving boolit still penetrates well. Go up a step to the 32 S+W Long and you have about the perfect squirrel rifle. Go up another step to the 32 Mag/327 or 32-20 and you find you have to load way down or use something like the 311359 with it's pointed shape to avoid cutting bushytails in half or 3 pieces.

I wish I could find 4 or 5 #4 Remington RB's and a Stevens Marksman in 25 Long. I'd be able to fix them up like I want. Actually, at this point I;d just be happy finding an affordable 3/4-13/16" octagon 32 cal barrel in good condition so I could fix my #4!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast