Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: a stretch for a cast boolit?

Boolit Man

a stretch for a cast boolit?

Does anyone have any loads or suggestions of loads for an overbore cartrige like a WSM .300 for low vel, or even subsonic cast bullit loads. Just want to shoot the weed burner in the off season without burning up the barrel or setting my pasture afire. If this is impractical, then Id hope youd tell me. rogn--- The .309 mould Ive got is a Lyman in abt 168gr pointed bullit, the mould is from the early '60s

How about a chamber insert in .308? Got lots of .308 loads.....
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Man

insert?

Ive not seen any adds for these. Is there a source?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rogn
    Does anyone have any loads or suggestions of loads for an overbore cartrige like a WSM .300 for low vel, or even subsonic cast bullit loads. Just want to shoot the weed burner in the off season without burning up the barrel or setting my pasture afire. If this is impractical, then Id hope youd tell me. rogn--- The .309 mould Ive got is a Lyman in abt 168gr pointed bullit, the mould is from the early '60s
    Rogn,

Try 28 to 30 grains of 4198. 30 is 1800 fps.

Super Moderator

.............Rogn, welcome to the board. I think Versifier was pulling your leg. Or possibly hinting at aquiring a noted cast boolit capable cartridge

Probably looking at a 'either/or' deal. A fast easy to ignite powder on one end or a partial caseload of a really slow powder and possibly a filler at the other end. Bass Akward mentioned 4198 and it's a superb cast boolit powder. I think it's like the slowest of the fast powders, the way I look at it.

In a 30-'06 23.0grs of it will propel a 215 gr slug to 1650 fps. I don't have any idea what the 30 WSM case capacity is.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Actually, I was quite serious. There used to be ads for them in most of the gun rags. Things like .22lr in .222, .223, .22-250, or .30 carb in .30-30, .308, -06. They have the outside dimensions of the cartridge the rifle is chambered for, and they load and feed just like conventional cartridges. I played with a .22lr/.223 insert some years ago and was thinking seriously at the time of getting one in .30-30 or .308 for .30carb, but never did. They shouldn't be too awful hard to make on a lathe if they're not still available. All you'd need is a chambering reamer.

They are totally different than the adapters that are - hopefully - permanently mounted in the chamber with solder or epoxy as many were made to convert .30-06 to .308. Those can be a real PITA to remove....
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master
    Check out the latest LEE #2 Manual

I found some XMR-5744 data for the .300 RUM that I plan to try.

You can also look up reduced load data for the .300 WinMag, as the case capacity of the two cartridges is very similar.

Also, look at the .30/06 data as well, because the difference in capacity is only 10% or so.

If you can find data for H4895 (or the IMR), you can reduce max loads up to 40% and still get stable pressures and ignition, with nominal accuracy.

Boolit Bub
    http://www.eabco.com/sale8.html

Try this for common chamber adapters. Haven't used one myself.