MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder throat reaming observations

Boolit Master

Update 1st post* Cylinder throat reaming observations

After dealing with leading for years in my .38 revolvers, I finally decied to do something about it. Currently I have 5 S&w 's of various models and one Colt Official Police from the 30's. All leading was just forward of the forcing cone which told me it was a bullet size problem.

First Ill start off with My m10 heavy barrell from the late 70's or early 80's. This is a Police turn in that was in sad shape when I got it and had been heavily used. It had excessive headspace to the point where It would misfire at least twice per cylinder and there was no bluing left. Clarks took care of the bluing and I refaced the yoke and added some cylinder bushings to fix those problems, then re cut the forcing cone to 11 to clean it up. It is a great little pistol now, but still leaded at the forcing cone no matter what size bullet I used . A check with my pin gauges showed all throats to be .356 and a slug showed .357 in the bore.

Next is a m66, also a police turn in, but this one was a desk jockeys cause it had hardly been fired. However again it also leaded and also had .357 bore and .356 throats.

Next is a 586 from the early eighties. This gun was new and was the worst leader of them all. A .3565 bore and a .355 throats, also the throats were very rough, with spiral lines in them like they had been drilled with a drill instead of finished reamed.

Next is a model10 snub nose from the 50's, which measured .357 bore and . 357 throats. It barely leaded.

Next is a Combat Masterpiece wich never leaded, no matter what I shot. .357 bore, and .358 throats.

Last is the Colt Official Police. This also never leaded. .356 bore and .358 throats.

I purchased the Manson reamer and bushings from brownells and went to work. It was very easy to do and I did all my guns in under 30 minutes. The Combat Masterpiece and Colt, no metal was removed at all and they reamer just pushed right through.

Of special note was the model 10 heavy barrell. When reaming the cylinders, noticed it was not removing metal from the cylinders evenly, rather there were "high spots" in the thoats that the reamer shaved off. I also showed the rough machining that the 586 showed.

Also the 586, since the throats were so tight, the reaming reomved all the tool marks, leaving nice smooth throats.

Conclusion: Now that all throats are .358 as per my pin gauges, no revolvers at all lead. I do not notice an accuracy improvement, but I have not realy tried to go for that, as I was mostly interested in stopping the leading. I would recomend doing this to your wheelguns. The older guns with the .358 throats as from the factory also confirm this.

Observations: Older S&W's and the old Colt seem to have been better machined in the throats. I find it odd that all guns had essentially the same bore size, but the throats varied so much. The guns from the 80's seem to have been the worst. It seems like S&w was trying to get the last drop out of the throat reamers by using well worn reamers and reamers with chipped teeth which gouged the metal.
    I do not know what caused the high spots in the m10 throats, a wobbly reamer or just the years of hard use.

**Update, I pin guaged my ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag and discovered 4 cylinders in .410 and two in .411. When shooting the hand cannon, I always got two fliers in my groups, I wonder if this was why? However I could not find a "piloted cylinder throating reamer". After much searching, I discovered that Enco sells a carbide tipped chucking reamer in .4110 for $65 or so. Always being one to buy the tools instead of paying someone else, I bought it.

Upon its arrival, I took a fired and unsized. case and drilled out the back of it to accept the reamer and reamed the inside of the case, making a guide to protect the rest of the chamber. I then inserted the case in each cylinder and reamed all the throats to .411. by hand. Since only .001 was removed, it was very easy.
    Last edited by akajun; 12-07-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: new info

Boolit Master
    You may feel ........ put out for having to do this, but I consider it lucky. Metal can always be removed easier than put back.

It's generally that you have .360+ throats that have to be filled. So again, you are fortunate to be able to correct these to ideal situations.

Gotta make you happy that it's shootin time now.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    No I dont feel put out at all. It was a very easy fix, and was not expensive. Besides a bad day dealing with guns is better than a good day at work. To tell you the truth, I could probably make my money back on the reamer by doing this for a few other people. But you are right, I am glad I dont have grossly oversize throats to deal with.

I wanted to post this for those that may be having the same issues I had, bad leading just after the forcing cone, no matter how you size your bullets. I also wanted to show that not all guns need this, but some do more than others. I was somewhat reluctant to do this for the reason you stated, you cant add metal back, but am now glad I did.

I think I'll add a set of pin gauges to my gun show kit, in order to evaluate future purchases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    I think I'll add a set of pin gauges to my gun show kit, in order to evaluate future purchases.
    Yessir! A few months ago I had a look-see at 5 otherwise very nice S&W Model 29s. Having the pin gauges along allowed me to verify that almost EVERY throat was running .433" or larger. One out of 30 throats was .432". Having a Redhawk in the safe with .430" throats and .429" grooves......buying one of those Smiths made no sense at all. Custom moulds, likely Taylor throating, NEVER MIND. Pin gages--the revolver buyer's polygraph.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    No I dont feel put out at all.

You would figure that there would be a certain amount of quality control.

The Japanese came into the rifle and shotgun markets and as a result, you got tighter standards and better quality at lower prices overall. They had to compete.

We need the same competition in wheel guns, but aren't going to get it. Wheel guns are production line fillers now for the automatics that dominate handgun sales today.
    Last edited by Bass Ackward; 08-19-2010 at 06:16 AM.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

I purchased the Manson reamer and bushings
    Do you have the Brownells part numbers for these?

Thanks!

Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Boolit Master
    Great post. I'm in the same situation with some of my S&W 38s. Let me add that if you ever buy a USFA revolver you won't be doing this: .451 bore for .452 bullets and a .4525 cylinder throat. These guns are on!

Boolit Grand Master

Al,

100% agree. The last revolver that I checked out used was for a friend. Pin gages made
    me able to assure him that it would be accurate and like cast, and it does. The one before
    that was also checked before purchase. BH .45 convert - both cyls were very tight, but no
    sweat because I can (and did) easily fix tight, can't fix loose.

Pin gages are a key tool for the revolver purchaser, as you said.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Buckshot got me onto the pin gage set--first by demonstrating his set, then a while later alerting me to a sale at ENCO. Bless his heart!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Great post. I'm in the same situation with some of my S&W 38s. Let me add that if you ever buy a USFA revolver you won't be doing this: .451 bore for .452 bullets and a .4525 cylinder throat. These guns are on!
    Are you also saying they never have constrictions at the cylinder throat and MAX chamber sizes that makes cases look like old coke bottles?

Not knocking you, just wonder how they do it and Ruger can't! Maybe Ruger should purchase them and attain that secret technology

Boolit Buddy
    After reading this I decided to slug a few of my handguns,I have 2 S&W 629s .44 mag. The barrels on both go about .001 larger than the throats as near as I can tell,they both lead. S&W 9mm goes about .356,9mm hipower .357. did a few of my S&W .357 and all bullets went through the throats with a little push after going through the barrel.I get little leading from the .357s.
    Randall

Boolit Master

How do you keep the reamer going through the cylinder straight or in-line might be a better term?...

And the pin gauges, are they steel cylinders of specific sizes and they "push though" a chamber in the cylinder? Sort of a go-no go type of thing?...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master
    This reamer has removable pilots on the front. You select the tightest one for each cylinder. If your super anal, you can drill out the back of a fired case.

As far as pin gauges, a pin guage set is hardened steel pins in sequential diameter by .001.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Whenever I get a new to me revolver the first thing I do after being sure it is clean is to check out the cylinder,throats and barrel diameter. Many older revolvers need some adjusting in the cylinders so I ream them. I have no regrets reaming any so far. But I am very careful about how much I remove. I have never reamed a cylinder that did not shoot better when I was done.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

As to pin gauges what is the best buy out there and which ones are to be avoided?

Boolit Grand Master
    My sets came from ENCO online, and are likely ChiCom imports. I got the sets which are ground .0002" under nominal diameter, one set each of .0625"-.250" and .251"-.500". With a 1/2 price deal and free shipping offer, the 2 sets ran $132 IIRC.

Having pin gage sets is like having a pickup truck--ya don't know how ya did without one once ya own it.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    My sets came from ENCO online, and are likely ChiCom imports. I got the sets which are ground .0002" under nominal diameter, one set each of .0625"-.250" and .251"-.500". With a 1/2 price deal and free shipping offer, the 2 sets ran $132 IIRC.

Having pin gage sets is like having a pickup truck--ya don't know how ya did without one once ya own it.
    Thank you I have Enco bookmarked.

Boolit Buddy
    we've all got a set of pin gauges, by caliber, if we have a good micrometer that'll read to .0001, a selection of cast or jacketed bullets by caliber and a couple of sizing dies of differing diameters. i've always used the above, a couple of forcing cone gauges, a mic, a caliper and a decent feeler gauge to go gun shopping. pin gauges are a nice tool to have, for certain, but i haven't felt hampered in not having same, as long as i have a handful of bullets of known diameter to check throats, prior to purchase.

Boolit Master
    Update for 41 mag in the first post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast