Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Woodsmans pal

Woodsmans pal

Anyone have experience with the woodsmans pal? Seems like a well thought out tool but I would welcome any impressions from users.

Thanks
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I have had one foa a couple of years now. Works great on palm fronds and most FL vegetation. I'm happy with it. Make sure you shop around though, pricing sure seems to vary a lot.

Boolit Master

I carry one on my quad. Good tool, over-priced, so shop around. I like the hook for vines and briars.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

It is not near as good as and ax for chopping and not near as good as a machette for brush..

But it is the best of both worlds... I have hand mine for years and really like it. I am going to make a sheath to carry it on my saddle for emergencies and clearing trails.

Boolit Buddy
    There are several styles, the original with a hand guard, one w/o handguard and a junior size, I think, in both styles. I found mine under a tree more than 50 years ago, at the back line fence of our farm. Historically it is a military model sold outright at a PX. Over the years the leather washers which form the handgrip wore out and/or broke off. The company offers a full rebuild and sharpening which I did last year. They are nice people.
    John

Boolit Master
    believe they are made in my state of Pennsylvania.the American Rifle man had an article on the history of them.......

Boolit Buddy
    you're correct.......Pro Tool Industries, Pottstown PA www.woodsmanspal.com
    John

Boolit Buddy
    They are the best of the do all tools meant to replace a hatchet and machete. Like Freedom475 already said.

-yarro

Boolit Master
    Have had one for a long time. Mostly unused. If you get one get the plain wood handle as the one with the guard (like mine) is akward as the guard gets in the way. I would really rather have a machete or if needing something bigger a chain saw. My replacement for the Pal has been a "bush hook" or "bush axe" with the handle cut off to a convenient length. A lot cheaper and just as good. My $.02. 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Mine is a ex US Military "Bird Dog" 1962 model I have had for many years. As long as you treat the leather washer handle as you should any leather handle washer knife they hold together just fine.
    They are a compromise tool & great for long term survival . As an everyday tool they do knicely. Short heavy bladed it will take care of most misc chopping. The military sheath carried a OK sharpening stone which clipped on the standard web belt.
    I have used mine from swamp weed chopping setting up a stand to splitting wood to start a fire and cutting paths through underbrush to my crow blinds. No complants. Blade stye is copied here in South America in a thinnner blade lighter weight version with a wood handle... I removed the hook portion of the copy here and my wife & I use it weekly for misc wacking & chopping.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Mine is a Vietnam era that I have had since the late 60's. I like it for limbing up trees on the way to the deerstand and clearing out shooting lanes. I like it's portability and keep it on the ATV all the time. For vines & briars, I prefer the brush hook or brush axe. My 2 cents worth.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master

Cane Knife

I just picked up a cane knife at Tractor Supply. It looked a lot like the Woodsmans Pal. Seem to cut as well, though not as heavy.
    At $10, I would suggest anyone considering the WP to try this first, before you spend big money. I am not saying it is as good, just you will find out if this type of tool is what you want.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes