WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MiHec 359640 first casting........

Boolit Master

I'm having the same problem. My issue seems to be that the Dillon crimp die puts on a step style crimp rather than a true roll crimp that forces the end of the case into the boolit. That style of crimp covers most of the both of the crimp grooves before you get a solid crimp. I'm going to try my RCBS die set, which does have a true roll crimp.

The case tension on the boolit is also not particularly impressive with the Dillon die set. Boolits sized .359 kept slipping into the case before the crimp was applied. I guess I need to check the diameter of the expander.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfobj View Post
    I'm having the same problem. My issue seems to be that the Dillon crimp die puts on a step style crimp rather than a true roll crimp that forces the end of the case into the boolit. That style of crimp covers most of the both of the crimp grooves before you get a solid crimp. I'm going to try my RCBS die set, which does have a true roll crimp.

The case tension on the boolit is also not particularly impressive with the Dillon die set. Boolits sized .359 kept slipping into the case before the crimp was applied. I guess I need to check the diameter of the expander.
    I'm not experiencing the problem with the case tension. Let me know how you make out
    with the RCBS die set. Are you just going to use the crimping die or substitute the entire
    set?

Boolit Master

I'm just going to swap out the crimp die first and see how it goes. Next step would be to swap both the sizing and crimp dies. Will keep you posted.

Vendor Sponsor

Molds available in my web shop

Link!
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Grand Master
    I just got the one I bought from Mihecs e-shop. Holy cow, this thing is awesome.
    Once I got it hot and the last residual oil burned off it casts some darn pretty hollow points. The bullets fall right off the pins.
    I am sold on Mihec moulds and the Cramer style is even better.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I cast my first full pot full (21# of finished bullets) with Mihec's 359640 mould. It took less than two hours from the time I started casting until the pot was empty. Here is about half of them:

These sure look good. I think me and this bullet will have a long and fruitful relationship

Mihec has DONE IT AGAIN!

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    all
    rite
    now
    you
    fellers
    went
    and
    did
    it
    I just ordered one
    the kids 357 mag and I am going to experiment with the
    358 win as well
    happy,happy,happy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    curious whats the o/a of the boolit
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Groo here
    Mine is .710 long , About .360cal [ water dropped W-W]
    The short crimp groove is set to about 357mag factory length [ lever action and short cylinder friendly] and the long crimp groove is for 38spec [ if you look the bullets in a 38 stick out of the case farther than they do in a 357] also the long groove can be used in a long cylinder 357
    for more powder room in the case...

Boolit Grand Master
    Man does my Marlin like this bullet. Seems that the harder I pushed it the better it shot. Got the hollow points over 1700 pretty easy. With irons off the bench I got a group around 3.5 inches at 100 yards. For my eyes it is pretty darn good.

Boolit Bub
    Today I sent a .357 round loaded with a MiHec 359640 with a penta HP to work with my wife to show one of her coworkers who thinks he might want to get into casting. He asked her how much time I had to spend filing and polishing to get the boolits to look that good! She said "none, but he does import his molds from Slovenia!"

Thanks again Miha!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfobj View Post
    Excellent results!!! What cartridge/velocity/load were you using in your marlin? I'm guessing .357 mag.

I'm intrigued by the thought of these in my 35 Rem, but not sure if the hollow point would cause feeding issues.

Anyone else tried this one in their 35 rem?
    Did you every get an answer to this? Here, in another thread, or by trying it yourself?

Dang it...he's out of stock again. Those went fast!
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
    Dang it...he's out of stock again. Those went fast!
    That's partly my fault. Here's some first attempts with 2400

And with Unique

Shot from a 4" 686, rested, from 50', indoor range. These are initial efforts, I'm excited to see what tweaking can do.
    I'm probably going to have to have someone that can see, hold, and shoot better than I to find out, though.

Sadly, I think I'm at my own potential here!

First time casting with my only Mihec's mold, the 359-640
    WOW!!
    Never have I cast with such a well behaved mold.
    It is a real pleasure to use.

Too bad Miha do not have any .308 or .458 HP in stock otherwise I would have already buy some..

OK, don't know if I'm allowed to do this. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

If you missed out on this one, or just want the non - HP one, we are trying to get a buy going for the MIHEC 359640 in a 4 cavity, solid, mold.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=100773
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckJaxFL View Post
    Did you every get an answer to this? Here, in another thread, or by trying it yourself?
    Unfortunately, life and job, and wife and kids have kept me away from the loading bench lately. Doesn't help that it's as hot as the surface of the sun here in TX.

From what I've read, I think this will boolit would work great in the 35 Rem. I'm going to try my new NOE RCBS 35-200 clone first though.

I'm hoping to load up a bunch of these for my 1894c though.

I'll post results as soon as I can make time to play...

Crawdaddy

Boolit Buddy
    I just loaded up my first test loads with this boolit and Unique in .38 Special cases at the lower crimp groove. I was wondering are you guys stating that you are loading these with 5.5gr Unique using +P cases?

According to the Lyman manuals, with a 160gr cast boolit, max for .38 Special is 4.7gr and max for +P is 5.3gr. Given their pressure numbers, I could see stretching Special out to around 5.0gr and +P to 5.5-6.0gr.

If you're using regular .38 Special cases are they holding up to 5.5gr okay or is their usable life drastically shortened? Are any of using QuickLoad to come up with your numbers? I toy with the idea of buying a copy every few months.

Boolit Bub
    Buyobuyo,

Guess nobody answered your question so I'll give it a shot. I've always heard that the only difference between +P and regular cases is the stamping on the bottom. It's really just an indicator of what's inside rather than a material spec, so there should be no difference in case life.

Haven't used Quickload, but I'm a firm believer in checking multiple sources and working up carefully whenever I'm trying something new. If you look long enough on the internet you will find some crazy numbers, even on this site, so I always double check 'em.

Hope that helps!

WHEN AVAILABLE...! ADD ME FOR A 359640 HP 2-Cavity w/extra Pins......

askimball at comcast dot net
    Last edited by askimball; 01-31-2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Left item out
    Alan (Doc -)
    IYAAYAS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast