Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 3rd grade math, I need help !

Boolit Buddy

3rd grade math, I need help !

Hello Guys, I'm kinda new here, but been casting and loading for quite a while. I'm having a little trouble with my 3rd grade math ( No, I'm NOT smarter than a 3rd grader !)...But my boolits seem to shoot OK...

Lets say I want to make some 30 -1 alloy....(Lead-Tin).
    I weigh out 30 lbs of lead and add 1 lb of Tin ?
    Same with say, 15-1 ?

Seems like when I am reading my casting books, something doesn't seem right in my math. Some times they have a little different answer.
    I won't get into percentages yet, thats WAY over my head......Trying to figger out how many ounces in those percentages is confusing .

Thank's for the slap upside the head ! "Papa Jack"

Boolit Master

Papa Jack,

30-1 alloy is 30 lbs of lead to 1 lb of tin or
    30 lbs of lead and 2 lbs of 50/50 solder (radiator shop drippings)

30-1 is about 3% tin (100 divided by 30)
    15-1 is about 6% tin (100 divided by 15)

Unless you are starting out with pure lead (or close) to start with, your percentages will be off a point or two because of whats already mixed in.

What are you using it for? Maybe we can get at it from that angle.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    See, that is what happens when you breathe up all those lead fumes.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    Papa Jack,

30-1 alloy is 30 lbs of lead to 1 lb of tin or
    30 lbs of lead and 2 lbs of 50/50 solder (radiator shop drippings)

30-1 is about 3% tin (100 divided by 30)
    15-1 is about 6% tin (100 divided by 15)

Unless you are starting out with pure lead (or close) to start with, your percentages will be off a point or two because of whats already mixed in.

What are you using it for? Maybe we can get at it from that angle.
    Thank's for the info. .I thought I had it right, but seemed like some of the reading I was doing made me unsure....

Here is the plan: I have LOTS of 63/37 (lead-tin) industrial solder, I'd like to use it as the "TIN" in my batches. I have "pure " tin, but hate to use it with all this other alloy laying around.
    I'm just plinking with the Boolits, mostly .30-30, .45-70,.450marlin, 44 mag rifle, 357 mag.rifle, some 38 spcl/mag hangun. Thank's !! "papa Jack"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by giz189 View Post
    See, that is what happens when you breathe up all those lead fumes.
    Your Right, I gotta quit pickin my nose when I'm casting, that lead goes right to the brain! "Papa Jack"

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Jack View Post
    Here is the plan: I have LOTS of 63/37 (lead-tin) industrial solder, I'd like to use it as the "TIN" in my batches.
    Just so your math is right, note that 63/37 solder is 63% tin, and 37% lead, and not the other way around. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sagacious View Post
    Just so your math is right, note that 63/37 solder is 63% tin, and 37% lead, and not the other way around. Good luck.
    Thank's for that INFO, I thought the first number was always the LEAD, I guess after all these years, thats what I get for thinkin....Now I gotta re-stamp all those dang little ingots...."PJ"

x/y = z

x= total amount of tin added to batch
    y= batch size in pounds
    z= % of tin in batch

So say we want to make a batch of lead with a total of 3% tin in it. Lets start with pure lead and add tin to it for a total of 100 pounds. It would look like this:

x/100= 3

Multiple both sides by 100 and we get x (the total amount of tin we want to add to each batch) = 300. Now dived that number (300) by the amount of tin in each one pound bar that you have (in your case 63%). 300/63= ~4.76 (pounds of 63/37 solder to add).

Subtract this number from the total weight that you want the batch to way. 100-4.76=95.24. So to make a batch of 100 pounds with 3% tin in it you will need to add 4.76 pounds of 63% tin to 95.24 pounds of pure lead.

Hope this is as clear as mud.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    x/y = z
    That just might be 4th grade math!

Reminds me of the time I asked my physics professor, "Hey, what's new?"

And he replied, "c/λ."

Sorry for the physics joke-- couldn't stop myself!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    x/y = z

x= total amount of tin added to batch
    y= batch size in pounds
    z= % of tin in batch

So say we want to make a batch of lead with a total of 3% tin in it. Lets start with pure lead and add tin to it for a total of 100 pounds. It would look like this:

x/100= 3

Multiple both sides by 100 and we get x (the total amount of tin we want to add to each batch) = 300. Now dived that number (300) by the amount of tin in each one pound bar that you have (in your case 63%). 300/63= ~4.76 (pounds of 63/37 solder to add).

Subtract this number from the total weight that you want the batch to way. 100-4.76=95.24. So to make a batch of 100 pounds with 3% tin in it you will need to add 4.76 pounds of 63% tin to 95.24 pounds of pure lead.

Hope this is as clear as mud.

Jerry Jr.
    Thank's South Paw !! Thats what I have been looking for, trying to figger this percentage and ratio stuff out...
    "Papa Jack"

No problem Papa Jack. If you have any more questions don't be shy. There are lots here that can explain things clearer mud. I have trouble getting in from between my ears to the puter screen, heck I am happy if I get it as clear as swamp water after a rain storm.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master

And let's not get too anal about this effort. Seldom will we have PURE stuff to deal with. That which I call lino >should< be 4% Sn, 12% Sb, and the rest Pb. And I treat it that way. But it might be somewhat depleted and so only have 3.5% Sn, and that's about a 15% error. When I mix Lead-free solder in with WW's to get WW+2%, I might end up with 2.3% Sn - or 2.5% - or 2.1% - depending on the WW's and the accuracy of my weighing effort. By keeping an alloying session as a lot, at least all alloy in that lot is dang near the same.

I prefer to convert to ounces, and figure from there, when using alloys like lino- or mono-, and realize that the result will be CLOSE to what I expect, but probably NOT dead on. To reduce variability, I date ingots, and use from one batch when casting.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Weighing alloys.... All I been using is an old baby scale i found at a garage sale. I don't get too picky about the mixes, long as I am close to what I want, or think I want, I can adjust it in the pot. I really need to find a lead hardness tester so I know where I'm at.
    I have a lot of sheet lead, up to 3/8" thick, lots of lead sheathed telephone cable, so I use that to alloy with the 63/37 solder. I also have brand new Lino-Type, still wrapped in the packages from the factory, but I want to keep that just for "special" needs, but I think I will melt it down and put it into 1 lb ingots so it's easier to store..... "PJ"

Boolit Buddy
    29 lbs of lead and 2 lbs of 50/50 solder = 30-1

Quote Originally Posted by DGV View Post
    29 lbs of lead and 2 lbs of 50/50 solder = 30-1
    I was wondering if someone would pick up on that equation... especially with the 50/50 part...
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same