MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: 12 ga Lyman foster data

Question 12 ga Lyman foster data

Anybody have some published reloading data for the Lyman Foster 12 gauge slug?

I have a copy of the Lyman shogun manual- majority of loads listed are roll crimp/ or require disc and flat wads.

Hoping for some published data that uses up to date regular wads and powder for Winchester AA (compression formed) hulls.

To my knowledge all the published loads for that particular slug use a hard card stack and a roll crimp.

It is possible to load them using Federal "S" series wads with the petals cut off and a fold crimp. At least one hard card between the plastic wad and the slug significantly improves accuracy.

I do have an RSI pressure trace system and am developing slug loads using it so it is possible I could work up some loads for the Lyman foster slug so constructed. However, there are a lot of other slugs types that are way up the list of priorities that come first and currently with working two jobs and putting in over 50 hours a week between them I don't really have a whole lot of time to devote to my projects in this area.

Long story short, I might be able to work up some loads for you but it could be spring time before I get to it. You want me to keep you in mind and drop you a PM when the time comes or should I not bother considering how long it could be?

I just got this mold a couple weeks ago and is my first hollow point mold.
    I already have a Lee 1 ouncer to play with along with it was the AA/fold crimp data so that one may be my primary.
    But'll certainly play with the Lyman...

I'll take that as an, "Yes, when you get around to it I would like some of the data you come up with." answer. (I like that answer)

The equipment I am using does indeed allow me to directly measure the chamber pressures of the loads I test fire in my firearms I have attached one of the sensors too and compare it to factory loads. Thus whatever load data I produce with it should be nearly as good as that found in a load book. It is not, however, a full scale commercial grade pressure test gun, it is designed for private individual use and thus I will of course have to give some disclaimers. In general terms it is considered to be more accurate and reliable of a system then the old copper and lead crusher commercial systems but most would not put it in the same category as a modern electronic commercial grade pressure test gun. Also, it operates via a sensor that is attached to a conventional firearm and does not use commercial grade pressure test gun barrels. This makes the system much more economical for the private user but also means one always has to start low and work up a load carefully since one cannot take the risk of starting out with a potentially hot load without giving it a second thought like one can do with the very robustly built commercial pressure test gun.

Long story short, no buddy better start send me any loads for me to fire in my gun so equipped !!! I'll cut them apart, pocket the components, and ignore any inquires about what kind of pressures they produced. If I didn't assemble it myself I ain’t firing it in my gun so equipped since I always have to start low and work up carefully with this kind of system.

To those that wish to know, right now I’m about a quarter of the way through developing some loads for 0.725” to 0.735” lead (hard or soft alloy) round ball slugs for 12ga. rifled barrel slug guns and cylinder bore smoothies (soft alloy only) and will publish them along with the pressure trace graphs on a thread in this forum when I’m done – AT MY PLEASURE.

I bought this system a few months ago specifically to work up slug loads with known pressure values and I do intend to share my results with yo’all on this forum but I don’t want to be bugged either.

Just letting Mr. Cheese1566 know that what he is interest in is in the pipeline it’s just that it’s probably six months or more down the line and a lot of other stuff is in front of it in the pipe. When I do put up loads that will be applicable to the Lyman 12ga. foster slug mold they will be listed as loads for 1-1/16 to 1-1/8 oz. 12ga. full bore, foster slugs since there are other molds out there in this weight range and I will be attempting to make what loads I put up as universal as possible in application. I have the Lyman 12ga. foster slug mold in question, modified versions of same that cast slightly heavier, and may be acquiring another non-related mold in the same class and weight category. Thus I should be able to build loads that will work with any slug within that class and weight category by firing test loads with the same load but different slugs. What is ahead of that in the pipeline, however, including full bore solid slugs in the 1-11/16 to 1-3/4 oz. class/weight category, full bore fosters in the 1-3/8 oz. class/weight category, full bore fosters in the 1-1/4 oz. class/weight category, 68-cal. Balls used as wad-slugs, wad-slugs in the 1 oz. class/weight category, wad-slugs in the 1-3/16 to 1-1/4 oz. class/weight category and that’s just the 12ga. stuff and doesn’t include any of the 20ga. and 410-bore slug load development I intend to do so it could take a while before I get to that class/weight category. Long story short, its coming, just could take a while.

Cheese, I think I have some published Lyman data that uses a standard wad with the petals cut off. I will list the data here once I dig thru the old books and find it.
    Turbo, DEFINATLY post a LARGE warning to what choke constriction your loads are fired thru because im sure someone will try to use it in a full choke smoothbore which will be way too tight for the size ball your using.
    Last edited by mikenbarb; 08-09-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Found it faster than I thought I would. Heres the data and its listed in Lymans 4th Shotshell edition. They only recommend a roll crimp. The only cast slug I know of that uses a fold crimp is the Lee Keyed slug. I use them alot and they shoot great plus the mold is cheap to buy. The main problem with a hollow base slug like Lymans is that the base collapses if you fold crimp it because it has nothing to support the base sidewalls and they tend to buckle in.
    1- Federal plastic hunting case,
    Lyman 475gr Foster slug,
    32.0gr Unique powder,
    Win 209 primer, WAA!@ wad with petals removed,
    2 B.P. .125" cards under slug base,
    Roll crimp.
    1465fps, 10,300 LUP.

2- Remington Unibody SP hull,
    Lyman 475gr Foster slug,
    40.0gr SR4756 powder,
    Win 209 primer,
    WAA12 wad with petals removed,
    Roll crimp.
    1550fps, 9,200 LUP.
    Mike B.

Thanks Mike!

Looks like I may have to order some cards and a roll crimper if I really want to use it for what I have already.

Maybe I can find someone to trade it for a sabot style.

Let me know what you need. I got tons of stuff laying around for slug loads and I can send you a bunch to load and try out before you buy it. I can also send you some Lee's to try. Their great cause they use regular wads and a crimp fold. I got mine shooting 2-3" groups @ 100yds with a little tweaking.
    Mike B.