RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: tin/lead bar identification? Plz help

Boolit Mold

tin/lead bar identification? Plz help

Well I’m hoping I got a good deal on these bars. I was told that they were all 60/40 bars but they don’t have any markings that say that. I bought 2 different kind of bars but they both measure 13 long x 3/4 wide weight about 1.6 lbs each. The first bar has national lead co molded into it and 33 CE stamped into it. The second set of bars doesn’t have any name but have CE7 74 stamped into it them. Can someone help me identify these bars? Thanks

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Prolly not without pictures. Some very knowledgeable here will recognize by the picture.
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Mold
    Here is a pic of the bars

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead bars 001.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	24359

Boolit Master

Hickory, welcome to the forum.

Do you have a means of melting those bars with a thermometer constantly monitoring the temp? If they are solder alloy they will melt at less than 400*. Also, if they are 60/40 you should be able to bend them pretty easily. Just from the looks of them I would have paid up to a dollar a pound for them.

EW

Boolit Mold
    Back in the 1980's I spoke to a representative of National Lead Company who reported:
    NLC bar label
    111 = 50% Sn (Tin) and 50 % Pb (Lead)
    666 = 40% Sn, 1% Sb, (Antimony), 59 % Pb (lead)

Additionally, I had some bars 63/34 which are a eutectic alloy containg 63% Sn and 34% Pb.

Quote Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
    Hickory, welcome to the forum.

Just from the looks of them I would have paid up to a dollar a pound for them.

EW
    You like to buy like I do!

As far as their actual value with tin being at $9.43 lb spot and lead being around $1 a lb. If it was 50/50 and you got them for under $5 each, you did ok. If you got them for a $1.60 a bar or less you can consider that you did very well.