Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 flat nose and accuracy.

Let me just relate a story I have told many, many times on RFC.com:

I took a new built 10/22 to the country one weekend with the sole intent of relaxing (no chores to do at all that weekend) and shooting that .22. I must have had 25 or 30 different .22 loads. I set up a 4x8 sheet of plywood 43 yards away - just happened to be the distance I could set it up.

I shot, cleaned, shot, cleand and shot some more all weekend. I have no clue how many rounds I shot, but I tried to shoot at least 5x5 shots groups with every load. All my data is recorded and stored somewhere.

I got down to the best (most accurate) 7 loads and started to pare it down from there to try to find the best 3 shooting loads so I could choose from there. While setting up for that, I remember I had my Paco tools with me and went 'hmmmmm....I wonder what would happen'.

Well you know I had to try it. Now these best 7 loads were not all match/taget loads. One of them was the CCI SGB - I'm a big fan of it too as it shoots really well in several .22s of mine. Now keep in mind that these were the best shooting loads out of many. After Paco-ing a (is that a word?) a bunch of each load, I tested again.

Out of 7, 6 loads showed an improvement in accuracy - some by as much as 30%! These were not flukes. These were 5 x 5 shot groups that were all micrometered and shot in exact same conditions, dead calm and warm. I later tested and found that even match loads with a nice Paco HP provides a surprising amount of thump when shooting small game. Turns them from tiny hole through to POP on impact.

Am I a fan? You better believe it!

several years ago a fellow on Evilbay sold a SGB die tha removed a portion of the bullet with a file, die was reversable to make 2 different sizes of flat tips. didn't need a press, could do it while watching TV. positives was that the bullets were lighter and you got more velocity. negatives was that they wouldn't feed in some rifles. I bought one and have had good luck with it. very tough on tree rat heads.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12