Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official canvas wall tent thread

Mods can we move this to the new camping section?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...8-Camping-Gear

Love Life
    Make sure you bring your coats Duke. It is a bit cold up this way and AmmoHead is a bit farther north than I am.

Boolit Master

Here's mine in elk hunting configuration. It's a 12x15 from Davis Tent in Durango, Co. I had mine made with screen doors that cover each end so I can use it in Texas. It gets great air circulation through it from one end to the other and it's actually usable for oru Labor Day weekend dove hunts. We cheat lately, and stick a window unit air conditioner under one of the sidewalls. Even a small one will have you in your sleeping bag at night!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2078_48682150185_3073_n.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	61639

Name:	IMG_3768.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	61638

Boolit Master

The "modern day" wall tents I've seen lately are easy to put up etc but they sure seem flimsy with mighty thin fabric. Many moons ago we always camped out of a wall tent and that sucker took 2 men and a boy to carry it - I think it was made out of paper mill felt??

For the past 20 years or so, we just made our own "lodging" with small tree limbs for the frame and a tarp covering everything to keep the rain & snow out. One can cut and trim the poles and have everything set up about as quick as the old framed wall tents. About 10 years ago or so we came across a 10 man tent that sleeps 4 with large cots real comfortable and it's a "pop-up" tent made in Australia. We have 60+ year old 3-Star Woods sleeping bags for early winter, so we don't use a heater in that Aussie tent but the A-frame holds the heat pretty decent and one can make a good sized kitchen in there as well. Here's a picture of a summer fishing camp with a bear fence around the perimeter.

Attachment 182770
    Last edited by ole 5 hole group; 12-15-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Boolit Buddy

This is our hunting camp in Idaho this past year.Its a 10x8x4 tent made by Yakima tent co.No complaints, just need a better stove.This cabelas special is a joke and had to be refilled every 2 hours.You can see how loaded down my poor 4runner was for the trip.The deer I shot had to be loaded on to the trailer lol

Nice!
    Last edited by Just Duke; 09-08-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Our group has 2 Davis tents the sleeping tent is a 16X20 and the cook tent is a 14x16. Both have custom wood stoves and internal frames. the picture is from 2013 elk camp in mid October. They survived 70 mph winds and 2 feet of snow during 2012 season. Nothing like the steady drip drip drip of melting snow to keep you asleep uh awake. But that's the way I like it.

Name:	DSCN0466.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	100539
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Nice setup.
    We've been thinking we need to get a roof tarp for our tent.

Boolit Bub
    We have the 12x12 Alaknak. It purports to be redesigned to reduce condensation. I use a Kni-Co. stove in it and we've been comfortable and dry down to the teens.

I got some pictures the last time I had it up. Not too remote that time; set up in a KOA in Las Cruces. It was waayyy cheaper than a hotel for the duration of the trip.

Durango in late spring and the high desert in the winter, this thing has done really well. I haven't had occasion to set it up since our move north, but I'm anxious to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Our group has 2 Davis tents the sleeping tent is a 16X20 and the cook tent is a 14x16. Both have custom wood stoves and internal frames. the picture is from 2013 elk camp in mid October. They survived 70 mph winds and 2 feet of snow during 2012 season. Nothing like the steady drip drip drip of melting snow to keep you asleep uh awake. But that's the way I like it.

Name:	DSCN0466.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	100539
    I have that setup plus a couple more.

Quote Originally Posted by IDSS View Post
    We have the 12x12 Alaknak. It purports to be redesigned to reduce condensation. I use a Kni-Co. stove in it and we've been comfortable and dry down to the teens.

I got some pictures the last time I had it up. Not too remote that time; set up in a KOA in Las Cruces. It was waayyy cheaper than a hotel for the duration of the trip.

Durango in late spring and the high desert in the winter, this thing has done really well. I haven't had occasion to set it up since our move north, but I'm anxious to try.
    I believe that's that really cool Cabelas tent. Right?

Boolit Bub
    Yessir, that's the one. I don't use 'em hard enough, and don't have enough assistance on hand, to justify canvas. This one fits, poles and all, in a bag a bit smaller than a hockey bag. I think the whole thing weighs about 70#.
    This was out on a weeklong coyote calling trip in the desert south and west of LC. The wife and girls joined me for the last night. Thankfully both girls were still little and two cots served just fine. The rest of the week, the dog and I did great.
    His crate, where you see it in the picture, was just right to keep him warm, too. That spot will also accommodate another cot.

Boolit Mold

Free Wall Tent

Hey guys Western Wall Tents is having a photo contest and they're giving away a free 12x14 wall tent. All you have to do is send a photo of your elk camp to enter. Check out the rules at http://westernwalltents.com or http://facebook.com/westernwalltents. Someone's gonna have a new tent for camp this year! No strings attached. Tell a friend or 2 about it!

Boolit Master
    Looking at all of your hunting camps makes me feel nostalgic for something that I never did. I'm sure I would have, had I hunted in my younger days when I lived in CO, MO, and MA. Started hunting (not getting) here in FL a few yeard back at about 56 yrs old. Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Looking at all of your hunting camps makes me feel nostalgic for something that I never did.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-Build-in-pic

Boolit Bub
    I am going to bring this back to life.
    My wall tent / hunting camp.

Name:	DSCF2940_zps34f59381.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	175665
    First fire in the wood stove, should have done it with the stove outside the tent.

Name:	IMG_20130831_184705_zps4a1baa57.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	175666

Boolit Master
    Attachment 175679

I can't resist posting Clyde Williamson's picture, from "The Winchester Lever Legacy", of himself making the only kill in his snowed-in elk camp. The .50-110WCF proved adequate.

Moderator Emeritus

When my son was very young, we had a canvas tent, and used it regularly on trips to Clark's Hill reservoir and its campsites for great weekends. That tent was a wonder here in the heat of Ga. summers, which are kind'a famous fo the heat and humidity together. Nothing "breathes" like canvas! NOTHING! The newer nylon or polyester based materials are lighter and stow a bit more compactly, but they will NEVER be as comfortable in the summer heat as canvas. NEVER! Haven't done much cold weather camping because we always had some sort of shack or cabin or home to stay in, but I'm pretty sure no synthetic material would weather the cold quite like canvas also. If it were't "old hat," it'd be hailed as a new "miracle material." But because it's not "new," it gets little respect for its true traits. It's the Rodney Dangerfield of tent materials.

Vendor Sponsor
    [IMG][/IMG]
    From a recent camp/scouting trip south of Ely NV. 10x12 with homemade woodstove.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Same tent different trip.

[IMG][/IMG]
    The air-tight wood stove I built. Bank it and good for about 6 or so hours of a warm tent, or turn it way down and have coals in the morning and a not so warm tent.

[IMG][/IMG]

Another one of my stoves. I have built 4 so far.

Boolit Man
    How hard are these tents to put together? How many hands do you need?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast