Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official canvas wall tent thread

Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    I have a 10x12 made by idaho wall tent. Was supose to be a 8x10 but they messed it up and we split the cost difference. Use a 3 dog stove in there. First one cracked during the midwest telefest, Don made it right on his dime. I don't think I have any pictures off hand. Slept in it to -10 during the telemark convention. Had to fire up the stove a couple times because the one girl was new to winter camping and got chilled. Had planned on using it for a lot of hand hauled sled style camping. A little too heavy and bulky for that so we mostly car camp with it. Some day I'll have a nice light weight snow walker tent.
    Dan, you got Moose up your way? I'd trade you out an Elk hunt for a Moose hunt and we'll and house you and the misses? Biggest Elk in the Nation so I'm told. And several spare tents for privacy.
    As soon as this investor pays me for one of my properties I'm out of here. Gone! lol

Boolit Bub
    Frankly I like the teepee, I would love to set on up by my cabin.
    ohshooter

Boolit Master
    We have moose about an hour south east of here. There have been rumors for a couple years about the possibility of a lottery system moose hunt. Isle Royale has moose and wolves, they actually seem to be having problems with wild population swings due to non-management of the moose/wolf ratio....or so I hear.
    Some where between here and there.....

Nice outhouse DUKE.
    Looks like you have more room then ours. I think ours is 3 1/2 by 3 1/2. Small but it is WAY better than squatting in the brush. Especially in the rain or wind.

Dad went hunting with me and my brother on his first turkey hunt this spring. He was used to staying in a hunting tent, but this was his first in many years. He said it was a little nicer set-up than what he used to stay in. He really liked having an out house, too.
    He was having a ball even before we brought out the food. When we go, we like to bring lottsa food. A typical 5 day trip is steak, shrimp, pork chops, corn on the cob, BBQ ribs, lassagna, enchiladas, smoked chicken.
    Must of done something right, I think he wants to go back with us next year.

Thanks RL 28

Boolit Master

The Army cured me of enjoying camping and sleeping in tents.....

Have you used that big sucker yet Duke. Thats quite a tent.

I was snooping on your Lever Action site this morning for the first time. I saved it in my bookmarks. Pretty cool site. I'm thinking of joining up.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

more Davis

We exercised our 16x24 Davis for the second time on the fall fishing trip to Henry's Lake. With the cost cut 6 ways,the second trip there was $ in our pocket over a 5 day lodge stay @ the Wild Rose.. It's too large to be practical for pack in Elk hunting,but our 12x14 can sleep five for that app.,provided we put up a gypsy cook shack. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Buddy
    Not much by the great pics in this thread but this is my bowhunting camp in the
    foothills of Vermont's Green Mountains in October.

As long as it keeps the weather off ya, thats all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    Have you used that big sucker yet Duke. Thats quite a tent.

I was snooping on your Lever Action site this morning for the first time. I saved it in my bookmarks. Pretty cool site. I'm thinking of joining up.
    Naw The closest camping area's are on Mt. Charston and it's pay to camp with tons of yuppies and the camp sights are not big enough for any of my tents. Next closest is 5 hours. Long way to go to sleep on a cot if I'm not hunting something.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 02-10-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    All we have around here is pretty girls and drunks.
    I miss read that the first time and thought it said all ya had around there was pretty drunk girls....

In Remembrance
    I decided long ago that a large wall tent set up, was more comfortable and portable than a 5'ver. On one elk hunt we went on my good friends sister was worried about him and made him promise to stay in the fifth wheel because of some health problems and his age.
    The temps were down to 10 below at night and every morning at around 2 am I would here him or his grandson clanging around changing the propane bottles.
    They would spend all there free time in the tent as there was much more room for the domino table, the kitchen and the wood stove easily kept it nice and toasty.

There is a place for rv's, but I just enjoy a good tent camp setup better on a longer hunt.

camp

Quote Originally Posted by Fugowii View Post
    Not much by the great pics in this thread but this is my bowhunting camp in the
    foothills of Vermont's Green Mountains in October.

now that sir is my kinda camp. looks like our elk camp in the area of south pass in wyo in the early 80's. looks like home to me.

For the new guys. ; )

Boolit Master
    I used a cabelas alanak 12x12 for 10 years elk,deer, turkey hunting and lots of horse camping trail rides. Worked great, easy setup, very tough BUT it sweated like the dickens.
    On a frosty morn the ceiling would be covered in ice. As soon as you built a fire it started raining.
    A friend of mine bought a canvas tent from Davis tent co and was impressed with the tent and the service. So I bought mine there. I'm equally impressed with the tent and the service. Another friend bought one, same thing.

I give these people my highest recommendation
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master

I like a Wall tent but have most of my tent camping in Coleman tents lately, newest is a 10X10 that holds my oversized cot and gear nicely. Condensation is manageable in a vented tent and quite frankly it doesn't get cold enough where I hunt & camp to need a Wall tent or stove....sure makes a nice-looking camp, tho.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I don't own a wall tent. As my son gets old enough to come hunting with me, I plan on getting one, still a few years down the road.

As it is now, most of my hunting trips are by myself and I usually sleep in the open bed of my truck, under the stars. Over the years, I've endured a couple miserable, cold nights but they build character. Last year was a cold one. It was windy, snowed and bitter cold; all my stuff froze and even my contact lenses froze in their case. To top it off, I didn't even get a deer. This year was just the opposite. I hunted in shorts the weather was so mild.

I usually take my backpacking tent along but rarely use it, preferring the open air. My hunting camps are simple; usually I set up next to my truck and don't have much other than a folding chair, folding table, and a fire ring. Needless to say, when my wife comes along camping, it is the exact opposite and no longer roughing it... Camping with her means, proximity to an outhouse or toilet, pillows and blankets, and this last spring I actually had to break down and buy a large inflatable mattress. I felt like turning in my "man card". My wife will be quite happy when I finally break down a get a wall tent.

Boolit Master

After an elk hunt in a dome tent with -5 nights, I broke down and got a 12x15 Davis tent with an angle kit. I can do chin-ups from the frame, and I'm 230+ lbs.

Sheds snow like a dream and stays nice and toasty with a stove.

I live in Texas, so I had mine made with doors on both ends and had full screen doors made for each end. Makes it truly a year-round tent, with great air Flow. It's a popular place on our west Texas dove hunts when I have my homemade swamp cooler blowing through it at night. You'll be IN your sleeping bag for sure!

My buddies affectionately call it the "Hilton" - guess that's one step up from the Holiday Inn!