Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official canvas wall tent thread

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Winter camp, and elk camp, Great Bear Wilderness.
    I like these pics. I really like the Capote. I have several Hudson Bays earmarked for Capotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Besides numerous GM small, mediums and larges along with the artic squad tent I've hunted from this one during elk season in NE Oregon. I prefer my 5th wheel trailor with 3 slideouts these days.

Larry Gibson

My buddy almost got his 5th wheel snowed in for the winter.
    Great pics Larry.

These guys look like there having a good time.

Roughing it?

Boolit Master

I'm with Larry, between guiding and hunting I've spent my fair share of time in tents. We set deer camp up in October and tear down in December on the farm we hunt on. 24' camper contains every thing necessary and we don't have to worry about it blowing away or the migrants working tobacco taking everything that ain't bolted down. If we feel like a touch of tenting we sit under the awning with an adult beverage.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

We have a 10'x10' canvas wall tent, but our main hunting tent is the 12'x20' Cabelas Alaknak tent. Dont remember what its made from, but we sure like it.

We use to take 2 campers and big pick-ups turkey hunting across the state every spring, but the fuel was killing us. Me, my brother and 2 other guys split the cost of this tent and it darn near paid for its self in the first year. Now we use a small cargo trailer behind a 1/2 ton truck and its WAY cheaper.

We use the 12'x20' as the main tent and it has an 8' vestible (porch) on one end. We're thinking of getting one for the other end too. That would make it 12'x32' all together.

If we need more room, we have a 12'x12' Alaknak tent or the 10'x10' canvas tent.

I'll try to post a picture......and here it is and I have included the outhouse
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_0003.jpg   102_0043.jpg   102_0044.jpg  
    Last edited by reloader28; 08-05-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added photo

Boolit Grand Master

I've spent enough time on the wrong end of a shovel and winch cable to know that "I've got a winch and 4 wheel drive, I can go anywhere" is pretty foolish talk in the area I hunt in. Thus I know better than to take the 5th wheel up where it will get snowed in. Might have to drive a bit further to get to my hunting area but the comfort and convenience of the 5th wheel is well worth it. Besides, the real boss said, "take the 5th wheel to elk camp? Not only no but H*LL NO!" That, of course, settled that

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    This is two of my tents, we were on a five day meat hunt last Sept. That doe is the first of six we shot in two days. The tent on the left was the sleeping quarters and the right one we used for socializing if the weather wasn't cooperating. Sure is nice to be able to get out of wet clothes and boots in a big tent you can stand up in as apposed to a small two man tent. I have a friend who built the stoves for these tents and I can bank them and still have heat in them seven hours later.

Moderator Emeritus

Ok, we finally got the time and good enough weather to give our new tent a trial run set up. I did not install all the tent pegs, just enough to see how it was going to work. I think this will work nicely for us.

"The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Dean D. View Post
    Ok, we finally got the time and good enough weather to give our new tent a trial run set up. I did not install all the tent pegs, just enough to see how it was going to work. I think this will work nicely for us.

That's a real nice setup Dean.

Smile

Just a couple of pics of our elk hunting camp for a week out of sept. every year!
    and a final pic of the view out of my ladder stand looking south across the swamp!
    Home sweet home !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All Pictures 00027.jpg   All Pictures 00028.jpg   all pictures 00020.jpg  

Vendor Sponsor
    I have been sleeping on the ground in my bedroll for years or in my 1959 16' Shasta travel trailer. I finally break down and buy a 10x12 5' wall tent and a cot and now I find out that I am a "yuppie cowpoke"? Dang the shame of it all. I guess I will have to continue to sleep on the ground to redeem myself. lol.

Just got a Western Wall Tent with 12 oz canvas, 10" sod cloth, screen door, stove jack, window, water proofing, flame retardant, and 9 piece frame angle kit for $698.00. Bought enough 1" emt conduit, 15 pieces, to build the frame for $104.00.

Can't wait to get my yuppie cowpoke ass out in the country to use it.

ammohead

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    We have a 10'x10' canvas wall tent, but our main hunting tent is the 12'x20' Cabelas Alaknak tent. Dont remember what its made from, but we sure like it.

We use to take 2 campers and big pick-ups turkey hunting across the state every spring, but the fuel was killing us. Me, my brother and 2 other guys split the cost of this tent and it darn near paid for its self in the first year. Now we use a small cargo trailer behind a 1/2 ton truck and its WAY cheaper.

We use the 12'x20' as the main tent and it has an 8' vestible (porch) on one end. We're thinking of getting one for the other end too. That would make it 12'x32' all together.

If we need more room, we have a 12'x12' Alaknak tent or the 10'x10' canvas tent.

I'll try to post a picture......and here it is and I have included the outhouse
    I need one of those potty tents so I bought one the other day. It Rocks!!!
    Last edited by Just Duke; 06-14-2011 at 06:17 AM.

This thread should be a sticky here seeing it hunting related and all.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Winter camp, and elk camp, Great Bear Wilderness.

Did you make the Capote?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    I like these pics. I really like the Capote. I have several Hudson Bays earmarked for Capotes.
    I am working on one right now. I'm doing a build thread over at wintertrekking forum. http://wintertrekking.com/index.php?topic=956.0

I went the budget route and bought a couple of the italian wool military blankets. So far it is coming along nicely. If I find some pattern paper I'd be happy to cut you a pattern from my master copy.

Most of the pieces are cut out but it is up in the 90s again and I don't feel like fiddling with wool.

I have about 2 cord of wood put up for the tent along with a waste oil burner mod I am working on. Should be a good season.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Buddy
    Duke iffen all them potty tents comes equipped like your did I gonna have to get me one!

Capotes ready made...Northwest Traders

Tents.canvas...Panther Primatives

Both can be found on line using google. I' used Panther products for over 25 years at rendezvous with no problems. I also have a NT capote made of a Whitney blanket in what they call "green Lachine" color. That be green with narrow black stripes. An original color scheme from colonial period. I would LOVE to find some guys to go tent hunting with!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Keeper View Post
    Duke iffen all them potty tents comes equipped like your did I gonna have to get me one!

Capotes ready made...Northwest Traders

Tents.canvas...Panther Primatives

Both can be found on line using google. I' used Panther products for over 25 years at rendezvous with no problems. I also have a NT capote made of a Whitney blanket in what they call "green Lachine" color. That be green with narrow black stripes. An original color scheme from colonial period. I would LOVE to find some guys to go tent hunting with!

Tom
    Me too All we have around here is pretty girls and drunks. lol
    You guys got Moose up that way?

Quote Originally Posted by WickedGoodOutdoors View Post
    Holy Cannoli!

Duke.

How large is that tent?

A little bit bigger and I could use it for a garage for my 25 ft Charterboat.

that Would be nice!

Walt, that tent is 16 X 20 I have a 14 X 16 also from them I have not set up yet but will soon.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 06-14-2011 at 06:18 AM.

I JUST KEEP COMING BACK AND LOOKING AT THIS TENT. THAT'S REAL NICE!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast