Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Colt OP, Lady Rossi, Beretta 1934, E.G.Makarov, Glock 29

Boolit Master

Colt OP, Lady Rossi, Beretta 1934, E.G.Makarov, Glock 29

Did some down and dirty handgun shooting at 50 feet to compare:
    1- Colt Official Police .38 S&W Special mfg in 1929. Former armored car guard's gun and has severe holster rash on both sides of barrel to prove it.

2- Lady Rossi, 2" snubbie, .38 S&W Special, polished stainless steel, 5 shot. I bought this new and carried it when I lived in a free state and had a CCW. When it's been fired 40-50 rds the front face of the cylinder gets carboned up and jams the cylinder. The barrel-cylinder gap is extremely tight. I need to file the rear of the barrel to increase the gap so it doesn't jam up. Other than that it's a perfectly ok little dude for a belly gun.

3- Beretta m/1934 Romanian contract 1942. Gun is in excellent condition. 9x17mm Scurt (Short/Corto/Kurz/Browning Short). I really like this gun. It has class and charisma. It shoots nice and handles nice. I have carried this clandestinely (legally). The safety requires a nearly 180 degree sweep but with some practice it's easy to get down. As a single action it can also be carried with the hammer down on the safety notch.

4- East German Makarov 9x18mm. Mfg in 1963. This came from AIM in Ohio and cost a whopping $120. I have some nice goodies that keep it company like a complete armorer's spare parts set, black leather police holster, military rain pattern holster and 900 rds of East German FMJ ammo. This is another one that I really like. I especially really like it because it cost only $120. If it cost $300 I might think otherwise.

5- Glock 29 10mm. This is my son-in-law's and I shot it 10 rds today. He just got it. I don't like Glocks but it's ok if you like this sort of thing.

I'm a Smith & Wesson man but I know this army general who collects Cults and he did some juju on me and I ended up with 2 of his culls. The New Service .45 Cult is now sold and helped pay for my milling machine. This Official Police is a holster gun. It's not a collectible. The action is ok but the cylinder is quite loose. I intend on 'smithing it down the road and may turn, thread and install a new McGowen "liquid honed" heavy barrel blank. The Pachmayr Presentation grips were on it when I bought it (cheap!). My primary .357 magnum is a S&W 686-2 6".

Boolit Master

PMC 130 gr FMJ factory. Both the Colt and Rossi shot to point-of-aim at 50 feet. I held a 6 o'clock hold on the black.

Some very old Remington factory 148 gr wadcutter ammo. Probably 25 yrs old.

Handloads dated 1988. 358156 no gas check, 5 grs Unique. Shot pretty good.

The Rossi shot best with the old handloads. Point-of-aim.

Boolit Master

The Beretta with Sellor & Belliot 92 gr FMJ. Actually not bad for a pocket gun at 50 feet.

My handloads look like they're tumbling but I'm not 100% sure yet. Tumbling isn't necessarily a bad thing in a pocket gun. Impact is a double whammy up close.

9 shots in the Mak.

Boolit Bub
    my makarovs (three of em) all shoot at least 10" high at 25 yards.

Boolit Master

This came up in a google search... ten years ago!!

Dutch

I am a colt collector. My first fixed sighted (25 years ago) colt duty gun was an Army special 5” nickel with the agency marking ground off the backstrap made in 1925. $200 Colt that shot like yours if not better. Nothing really prevents these from shooting like a python.
    If your cylinder is loose on a colt, somewhere in its 90 year history it was probably dropped and got slightly bent. It’s a simple fix to tap the rear of the cylinder the proper direction outside the frame to tighten it up.