Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: More Jalapeņos...

Boolit Buddy

More Jalapeņos...

Just finishing up supper, and a good one it was!

I barbecued a couple of Rib-eyes, with it we had a baked potato with sour cream, chives, sharp cheddar, and bacon bits on it, half-ear of corn on the cob, and two nice roasted Jalapeņo Peppers...
    Washed all that down with a couple of nice cold Dos Equis, all while thinking, life is good, even very good at times.

This is the first Jalapeņos from my garden this year, and they are good!
    The Habaneros are not ready to pick, yet...still need another week or two.

If you've never tried them, and this is for those of you that really like the spicy foods, you will find that roasted Jalapeņos add a whole new world to your culinary experience.

Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Master
    Describe how "you" roast the Jalapeņos please? I'll pass on the Habaneros, I'm not up to that level yet, LOL.
    Last edited by Changeling; 08-02-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Describe how "you" roast the Jalapeņos please? I'll pass on the Habaneros, I'm not up to that level yet, LOL.
    No big deal in roasting only a couple...simply lay 'em right on the grill and keep turning 'em with a pair of tongs. Your only concern is burning.
    When the skin starts to peel back, they are done.....what you're looking for is a very thin membrane that raises up when they are done....almost like an onion skin.
    There is absolutely nothing to it.

If I'm roasting a whole "batch", I have a simple wire basket that attaches to the rotisserie and it holds about 1.5 pounds, or thereabouts....probably a little less, somewhere around 40 or so Peppers....same thing, once you see that thin membrane (skin) raising up, you remove them.
    Some folks put the roasted pepper in a paper bag and shake 'em up pretty good, this is supposed to remove that membrane...I don't even mess it, I just use 'em as they come off the grill.
    (You don't really cook them in the true sense....I don't think, but I could be wrong.)

When the folks in the Southwest are roasting Hatch Chili Peppers, they use a wire basket the size of a .55 gallon drum. Very likely 50 or 60 pounds at one time.
    This basket is supported over a fire in a open pit of Mesquite and the peppers are sprinkled with water as they are roasted...this brings out a tell tale "bubble" on the skin. Roadside stands will in all likelihood be using some sort of propane contraption.
    This "drum" is turned by hand on a long steel rod with wooden cross handles...primitive, but extremely effective....Roasted "Hatches" are very much sought after by the locals, and are done at the Hatch Chili Fest, which normally lasts two days.
    Looks like this year the festival will be on the 4th and 5th of Sept.

If you are truly interested in the Hatch Pepper, and roasted chili's in general, you might want to google up Hatch Chili Fest, or Hatch Peppers, or maybe try this link...if it works.

http://www.hatchchilefest.com/hatch_growth_cycle.php

Russ..

Boolit Master
    Russ, thanks a lot for the Information, your explanations are great.

I suppose (I shouldn't do that) this would work with all kinds of peppers wouldn't it?

Once you have roasted the peppers like (above) can you then just freeze them in Zip Locks and take out what one needs as dinners/things go?

Thanks for the link also, I'll definitely check it out!

Last edited by wills; 08-11-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Banned

Neat! I want the Armadillo!

Boolit Master
    OK I give up, I know Wills well enough that he is teasing us with one of his creations!

What is in those peppers with the bacon on top? If you have a special stand for those Jalapeņos, I know dam well we are going to hear something GOOD!

Banned

Here's a really good recipe from The Smoke Ring:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657

I have made them a couple times.

Moderator Emeritus

I normally pick up 100 lbs or so, of Hatch chili's every year. After roasting, we peel off the (roasted) skin, and pack them in freezer bags.

There is an area around Taos that has good chili's also.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    OK I give up, I know Wills well enough that he is teasing us with one of his creations!

What is in those peppers with the bacon on top? If you have a special stand for those Jalapeņos, I know dam well we are going to hear something GOOD!
    I can’t take credit. I think the folks that make those chili grills will sell you a book of recipes, but here are some they have available on line:

http://www.chilegrill.com/Chile-Grill-Recipes.html
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Buddy

Some powerful good recipes on that link, Willis

Always looking for great ways to fix these things, and it seems the folks outta the Southwest know the best way to go about it.

Thanks for sharing!

Russ

Those folks are just down the road from me. You should see the size of the tumblers they polish those grills in.
    Last edited by wills; 08-14-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw