Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 44 BTS balistic points.

Boolit Master

44 BTS balistic points.

I have been playing with the bts one step 40/44 die. I found if I drop a airsoft peller in the nose then use a 45acp RN seating die it crimps the plastic pellet in nicely.these things really open up! aND THEY STAY PUT UNDER RECOIL TOO.
    Nothing earth shaking but I thought I would share my data....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Corbin sells plastic balls to accomplish the same purpose; I'll bet airsoft pellets are cheaper, though!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

You have to watch the airsoft though , buy only premeium grade . I have 5000 environmentaly responsible ones that break when put under pressure , even when pre heated !

Got pics buck? Now I understand you saying that after you swage the bullet, you place an airsoft into the HP and then seat it with the 45 acp Rn seater and it crimps it in place??

Magnificant....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    Got pics buck? Now I understand you saying that after you swage the bullet, you place an airsoft into the HP and then seat it with the 45 acp Rn seater and it crimps it in place??

Magnificant....
    Thats right after the boolit is swaged. just adjust the die little by little untill the pellet locks in place and its set, too much and it will wrinckle the boolit. it took me about 30 seconds to get it right.

It expands the nose a little bit and looks a little like a 45 acp hard ball or a RNFP WITH A BUBBLE ON THE END, but just a little.

Cant do any pics right now , sorry.

I used Crosman .12 gram premeium camo ammo pellets(brown/green) 10,000 , 5000 of each color for a total of$12.00 at china mart.
    They have clear /red ones but they looked hard and brittle. The glow in the dark looked like they would work in spite of being glow in the dark.
    The cool part is I already had the seat die and the pellets are cheep. Little to no extra cost. I liked that a lot.

I used these with my wc820 load, in a Redhawk. Real boomers!They seemed to recoil a little harder. But primers and easy extraction did not show higher pressures in my gun. If tou try it check the diam of the boolits to make sure you dont go over bore dia. Mine didnt , but I think they could if the die were not adjusted right.
    ...Buck
    Last edited by buck1; 08-01-2010 at 11:00 AM.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    -- Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor

Your on your way Buck, it becomes an addiction from here. I got myself some of the "heavy" 8mm airsoft bbs a while back and was able to reshape them with out them breaking. Haven't got around to testing them though. Keep us posted with the experiments. A lot of fun isn't it all the different things that can be done to a bullet. Next thing you know you will be looking at factory bullets and saying I know haw they did that, or I could do that. Only limited by your imagination now

Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

I have tried this in 45 acp and at those velocities Up to 900 f/s I can get no expansion. I am using 6mm glow in the dark pellets. They did open up better when I placed them in between Three .185 lead wires swaged into a bullet (this is a two step process to keep pellet centered)

Boolit Master
    I wonder if we trimmed the jacket like daywalker does, that would seem to UNsupport the nose and get thoes .45s opening up some???I have found in the .44 SPL I can not get expanshion in factory HPs, be it Sierra, Hornady...etc.

Thanks BT , You got me hooked alright! In fact this video is what got me thinking...

http://www.hornady.com/new-products

----------------------
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    -- Ronald Reagan

I shot some at the range today and was able to recover one 45 and what I believe to be a 44. Here are the pics. The 45's opened up awsome. The 44, opened just a tad. I want a lighter 44 anyway so I think I am going to trim some of the jacket and get a bit bigger hp lead tip....

the 45's

the 44's

Boolit Master
    My 44s look like your 45s! I am useing a pure lead core....Buck

----------------------
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    [/QUOTE]

Is there some copper in the extractor groove of that bullet? It looks like is scraped out some copper fouling as it passed down the bore of your gun.

Moderator Emeritus

ExcIsAc,
    typically, the rim is slightly smaller than the body of the bullet.
    So it shouldn't be "scrapping" the bore.
    Plus, that'd be ALOT of copper fouling
    and I wouldn't think it'd retain that nice copper color,
    it'd be mixed with other things like burnt powder residue.
    I'd assume it's some soil or other target media.
    Jon
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 08-02-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcIsAc View Post
    Is there some copper in the extractor groove of that bullet? It looks like is scraped out some copper fouling as it passed down the bore of your gun.[/QUOTE]

That was mud. I dug these out of the ground past my target.

I only posted these here since buck was talking about my lead tip. I wanted to show how they expand. I want to make my 44's expand more like my 45, so i think I will go for a bigger tip on the 44's now