Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman IDEAL 452423

Boolit Buddy

Lyman IDEAL 452423

at a gun show today i picked up this IDEAL mold- 452423- single cavity PB,marked Keith-type 235grain for $15.....anyone have any experience with this out of production mold?

Le Loup Solitaire

Lyman 452423

This one was around for quite a while, but is now out of production. I had one for a time and used it in the 45 ACP in an AMT Hardballer. It shot high due to the increased weight which was around 245 grains. I struggled with the sight settings for quite a while and finally got rid of the mold and the hardballer. Its a good design but I think that it would be a better choice for a revolver in 45 LC. LLS

Boolit Master
    This is a good write up about the 452423

http://www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm

There was also a group buy for this boolit a while ago so there should be some recipes available.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

I have a double cavity in this mold, Mine weighs around 250 grs.,out of my alloy. It is a shorter design with a larger meplat than the other 250 swc offered by Lyman. It's a good bullet, but as said, can shoot to different point of aim than the 230 gr. slugs. This is not an issue with me since all my 1911's have adjustable sights. It can be finicky to get to feed reliably in some . I have shot it in my 625 revolvers, and Ruger .45 Blackhawks, too where it is a good performer, but have generally gone to 200gr. bullets in the 625's.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master
    454423 CAT GB 45 2.1 design

Very close to the original 2-cavity I have !

Jerry]
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    thanx all for replies.....the link was great....cant wait to receive my KAL handles and drop some....

Boolit Mold

This was the first 45 caliber mold I ever purchased, and my most used one. When I ouught a Ruger 45 convertible model about 30 years ago the big bullet for this caliber could not be found. After experimenting, 9 grains of Unique with a standard large pistol primer in 45 Colt is dandy. Mine weigh in at about 235 grains.
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master
    Wasn't this design intended originally for the 45 Auto Rim revolvers?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, AL.....I do believe you're right ....Auto Rim.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, this was Elmer's design for the 1917 .45 ACP revolvers, either with the normal
    rimless brass or with the rimmed brass.
    Works very well in mine, once I got one large enough for my .454 throats and then
    loaded it hot enough to hit near the sights. Light loads hit well left, but as the loads
    get hotter they move right towards the POA.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I've approached some of Elmer's loads with that bullet for the M1917. They were warm and I didn't ever get to his level with Unique but they will make a great man stopper.

I have found from shooting them from ACP cases in a .45 Ruger convertible that they tend to wander a bit at 100 yards. Too much to be useful for plinking at that range but again, we're talking pistol here and they're good at 50 yards./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    For my 25-2 I load the 454423 GB over 7 grains of Unique and enjoy the results. EK went to 7.5 but I have not.

In the 45 long Colt, I have shot this boolit over a case full of black powder and had a lot of fun with good results. I enjoy shooting black powder and find clean up is about the same for the firearms but a bit more for the cartridges.

Does anyone knw if Mr Graff wrote a similar article about 454424?
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    This is a good write up about the 452423

There was also a group buy for this boolit a while ago so there should be some recipes available.
    I believe the article was written some time back by our own Chargar.

Boolit Buddy
    thanx all for chip'n in.....i enjoy read'n about the history of development in our sport of shooting.....
    9.3x62 AL.....are you a tonkin gulf yacht club member as well?....at your pay grade i would bet you are....how are things at china lake?

Boolit Grand Master

I. too, went up as far as 7.0 gr Unique with this boolit in a 1937 S&W (Brazilian contract
    version of the 1917), but never went all the way to Elmer's 7.5 gr load. The interesting
    thing is that the 6 gr loads shot about (IIRC) 4-5" left and a bit low. By the time I got
    up to 7.0 gr it was level with POA and about 1" left of center. The POI moved ever closer
    to the POA as the loads increased.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I lusted after one of these moulds for my 625's (.45 ACP's). However, I "settled" on the NOE clone of the Lyman 454424. It weighs 250 grs out of WW's+2% tin and can be safely driven to 900+fps in my 5" 625 with 7.0 grs of Unique. It makes a powerful (as powerful as the original .45 Colt black powder round with a much better shaped bullet) and quite accurate load for deer, hogs, and black bear at reasonable range. Here's some cartridges (.45 Auto Rim) with those bullets:

Dale53

Boolit Buddy

I have a single cavity Lyman mould for 452423. Results in a Colt M1917 and a S&W 22-4 have been excellent. I was so pleased that I filed the 22-4's front site so points of aim and impact coincide.

I wish I had been a member for the group buy. The single cavity mould is too slow. I keep watching for another group buy, but it may be awhile.

Boolit Master

Dale what die do you use to do your crimping? (as in brand and style)
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    Dale :

Those look like real hog stoppers ! !

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

Doby45;

I have a Lee Factory Crimp die for the .45 ACP. It comes with a taper crimp insert. I called Lee and they have an auxillary insert+spacer for a roll crimp. It requres replacing (temporarily) the taper crimp insert with the roll crimp insert and spacer. Both crimps work as designed.

Ben;
    They ARE!! The NOE mould is a five cavity aluminum mould of the correct design AND size. It is excellent in every way.

Dale53

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast