Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Diamondback Powder

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Diamondback Powder

Well I finally was able to pick up my Diamondback powder that I had ordered. I have loaded some handgun and rifle loads in 44-40 to be tested next week in a SASS match. I loaded the rifle with 33-35 grains of 3F behind the Lyman 427098. I loaded the revolver rounds with 33 -34 grs 2F behind the same bullet. These were loaded in once fired R-P cases. One thing that I don't like right away is the can that it is packed in. The outer graphics are very nice to look at but the pour spout sucks. It is a red screw cap that is flush with the top of the can and designed to be pulled up. After you pull it up you have a very small pouring spout after you unscrew the red top. The spout is plastic just as the top is. The problem comes in when you try to put unused powder back into the can. My funnels will not fit it just right and powder is building up on top of the can as well as going back into it. You may use a small pan type powder funnel but it is very slow process. Let me back up to the top and how it opens. After you pull up the spout and unscrew the top there is another small pull ring to remove or cut off the spout before the can opens. It is as if they are designed to be child proof. They may install a regular top at any time for me. The powder has a dull look compared to my others on hand that includes Goex, Swiss and Graf's. When pouring you can see that it has graphite as it has a small dust cloud. Looking through a 20x eye glass it has more fines and different cut angles than the Goex 3F. Let me say at this time that it will take someone like John Boy to do a screen test to be fair and accurate about this powder. The 2F looked smaller than the 2F Goex but again a more precise test is needed. Both the 2F and 3F were a gray color when in a SXS comparison with the much darker Goex. That could very be because of the graphite used. I will give you a range results report after the match next week.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    On my DB cans the whole spout can pop out leaving about a 3/4" hole to pour powder back in. Then pop the spout back in.

Grab a hold of your spout and see if it doesn't as well.

Question

Why not use an empty can of another powder brand, preferably with a screw top, clearly label it Daimondback + granulation and end your problems?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Well I finally was able to pick up my Diamondback powder that I had ordered. I have loaded some handgun and rifle loads in 44-40 to be tested next week in a SASS match. I loaded the rifle with 33-35 grains of 3F behind the Lyman 427098. I loaded the revolver rounds with 33 -34 grs 2F behind the same bullet. These were loaded in once fired R-P cases. One thing that I don't like right away is the can that it is packed in. The outer graphics are very nice to look at but the pour spout sucks. It is a red screw cap that is flush with the top of the can and designed to be pulled up. After you pull it up you have a very small pouring spout after you unscrew the red top. The spout is plastic just as the top is. The problem comes in when you try to put unused powder back into the can. My funnels will not fit it just right and powder is building up on top of the can as well as going back into it. You may use a small pan type powder funnel but it is very slow process. Let me back up to the top and how it opens. After you pull up the spout and unscrew the top there is another small pull ring to remove or cut off the spout before the can opens. It is as if they are designed to be child proof. They may install a regular top at any time for me. The powder has a dull look compared to my others on hand that includes Goex, Swiss and Graf's. When pouring you can see that it has graphite as it has a small dust cloud. Looking through a 20x eye glass it has more fines and different cut angles than the Goex 3F. Let me say at this time that it will take someone like John Boy to do a screen test to be fair and accurate about this powder. The 2F looked smaller than the 2F Goex but again a more precise test is needed. Both the 2F and 3F were a gray color when in a SXS comparison with the much darker Goex. That could very be because of the graphite used. I will give you a range results report after the match next week.
    w/ the 44-40 rifle I found 27 of 3fffg DB works the best at 50 and 100yrds. Vs 29 of goex 3fffg same group same point of impact. you will find you get more fouling than Goex. I find it runs thru my powder measure the sae as swiss. DB seams to be heaver by volume.

Black Powder 100%

59 Sharps, You did not say what bullet you were using. Myself and W30WCF have found that the 427098 is most accurate at 100 yds with a load of 33 grs of2F Swiss. The load was developed by him and he has done a lot of testing with the 44-40. I fired one load of 33 grs of Goex Cartridge that was one flyer out from being as good as the Swiss loads. Goex 3F express was also right there. I feel that the grain size is more in line with the Swiss than the Goex which has larger grain size with the same 2F sizing. Are you using some type of filler with that 27 gr load? Maven I can do that with out a problem as I have a good stock of empties . I was just trying to give a report on a powder that is new to our area and let shooters now about such things. Diamondback powder is made in Brazil on the old Elephant Brand equipment and they should take the designer of the can and give him his last payday.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

59 Sharps, You did not say what bullet you were using. Myself and W30WCF have found that the 427098 is most accurate at 100 yds with a load of 33 grs of2F Swiss. The load was developed by him and he has done a lot of testing with the 44-40. I fired one load of 33 grs of Goex Cartridge that was one flyer out from being as good as the Swiss loads. Goex 3F express was also right there. I feel that the grain size is more in line with the Swiss than the Goex which has larger grain size with the same 2F sizing. Are you using some type of filler with that 27 gr load? Maven I can do that with out a problem as I have a good stock of empties . I was just trying to give a report on a powder that is new to our area and let shooters now about such things. Diamondback powder is made in Brazil on the old Elephant Brand equipment and they should take the designer of the can and give him his last payday.
    OOPS. I use the RCBS .429-240- sil w/o a gas check that gives me 3 grease groves.
    sized .429. I also use a cream of wheat filler thrown from a RCBS little Dandy w/ #1 rotor installed. give me about 1/8" compression. Primer I now us is wolf large pistol. W Swiss I think I was down to 22- 24. of 3fffg.
    oh yea my 44-40 is a 1860 brass frame Henry w/ 24" barrel
    Last edited by 59sharps; 08-01-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Black Powder 100%

If you are getting good accuracy with a 240 gr bullet and a reduced powder charge then that is an exception to what most shooters find. The factories had a 220 gr load that was dropped as they found the 200 gr to fare better. You must be using the crimp ring as a lube groove as that bullet only has one real lube groove. To meet your OAL I would assume that you are having to deep seat that bullet for it to work in your 1860. On the 427098 which is a copy of the original bullet I have to crimp above the top driving band so that they will cycle in my 73. Take Care David

If you are getting good accuracy with a 240 gr bullet and a reduced powder charge then that is an exception to what most shooters find. The factories had a 220 gr load that was dropped as they found the 200 gr to fare better. You must be using the crimp ring as a lube groove as that bullet only has one real lube groove. To meet your OAL I would assume that you are having to deep seat that bullet for it to work in your 1860. On the 427098 which is a copy of the original bullet I have to crimp above the top driving band so that they will cycle in my 73. Take Care David
    the max I can get in the case is 29 of 3fffg w/o deforming the bullet when seating it.

If I remember right and but I would have to weigh them again they come out about 204. w/ pure lead. yes I use the crimp band as a lube band. I crimp just over the band not in the grease grove. which gives me OAL length of 1.589, if memory serves me correctly. which is just .003 under the max.
    there are times we need to shoot 20 rounds or more w/ out leaving the line or cleaning. I have tried other bullets given to me by team mates and others that clam theirs is the best, but non seam to work as well as this one in mine and me sons henry and a few others.

Black Powder 100%

If you use a compression die with a .30 vegetable wad over the powder you can get much more powder than what you have at just 29 grs. In 3F that is.

If you use a compression die with a .30 vegetable wad over the powder you can get much more powder than what you have at just 29 grs. In 3F that is.
    guess should have said most I can get in the case w/ out extra steps to seat the bullet w/ out deforming. I cast and load for 5 diffrent types of guns for myself and my son that means I 'm loading for 10. And the lightest load and typical accuary in both guns of each type is the best.