I have been playing around with a new upper for my AR chambered in 300 whisper from model 1. I loaded some j-words up and sighted in. Everything worked great.
So i moved onto the boolits i cast.
This is my first attempt at casting boolits for a rifle.
I used this mold
Lubed sized and gas checked.
I loaded some up using 14.5 gr of H110.
They shot great. Grouping were decent at a hundred yards. Now here is the issue:
After shooting 20 rounds, i inspected the barrel for leading. There was none. What i did find was very fine copper shavings all over the bolt carrier/ bolt.
It seems as though the Gas check is burning up and sending these shavings down the gas tube and onto the bolt. I took the Bolt carrier apart and the amount of shavings were so great that the bolt was starting to bind/ not move as freely as it should inside the carrier.
Any ideas of how to fix this?
I should also say i loaded some of the same boolits up using AA#9 and a lighter load (just barley enough to cycle the action, some rounds even short stoked around 12.5 grs) With the same results.
Besides being a good reason to convert this upper to a piston system, any thoughts on what i am doing wrong?
Thanks for all your input guys!
Thank you for the help everyone. Went to the range on Sat and shot 30 boolits.
Groups were very good at 100yards. No leading, no copper shavings.
Everything ran perfect.
Sunday went out with just "J" words and shoot 40 rounds. Groups were excellent at 100 yards. No copper shavings found when i cleaned the rifle.
SO it seems as though the copper is coming from the "J" words, but only gets sent down the gas tube an onto the bolt when I shoot Boolits directly after "J" words without cleaning.
Firing either round independently followed by a cleaning and there is no problem.
Thanks again for the suggestions, it made figuring this one out very easy.
Now onto playing around with different powders to find the one this boolit/my rifle like the best.