Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lymann 358477 dropping 5 grains less

Boolit Bub

Lymann 358477 dropping 5 grains less

I am a new caster. Before I broke a screw for the sprew plate last night, I was in the middle of my 2nd casting session. Concentrating a lot on consistancy. I believe I got the consistancy, but the boolits are dropping at 145-144 grains and not 150. Believe to be a older mold. What up?

Are the variances on the first cast worth worrying about? Or go ahead and size/lube and shoot?

1. Using ladle.
    2. My own mix of Lyman #2 (90/5/5)
    3. Close to freezing, but was in garage with door open.
    4. Dial on pot was 650. Double checked with thermometer. It is very close.

Other specs and pictures below.

Last edited by gtivan; 02-26-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Boolit Bub
    my copy paste didnt wor too well on the specs.

1st run of 15 weighed(rounded to nearest whole grain)
    3@ 147
    2@ 146
    9@ 145
    1@ 144

2nd run of 15 weighed (rounded to nearest whole grain)
    10@ 145
    5 @ 144

2@ 0.0359
    9@ 0.0360
    4@ 0.0361

Mix
    3.00 lbs Stick on Wheel Weight (100% lead)
    3.375 lbs Linotype (84% lead / 4% tin / 12% antimony)
    0.50 lbs Pewter (92% tin / 8% antimony)
    7.00 lbs clip on Wheel Weight (95.5% lead / 0.5% Tin / 4% antimony)

Boolit Buddy

No need to worry. I may be mistaken, but I believe that when the older molds were made, lead and tin were the alloys used. That combination results in a heavier boolit.

I too, use a couple of older round groove 358477 molds. One four cav. and another in two cav. Both molds drop boolits at 146-147gr. with ww+ 2% tin. I'm sure that if I used a lead tin alloy with no antimony, I'd wind up with a heavier boolit.
    Kirk

Boolit Grand Master
    gtivan,

I don't worry about the design weight of the boolit, as long as it is fairly close. Lyman molds can have a very large discrepancy due to them changing designs (round or square lube grooves, for example) and just who made the cherry that cut the cavity.

I would be more concerned with your variation in diameter. Are you holding the handles consistantly?

Robert

Boolit Master
    Lyman #2 mix displaces some lead with tin and antimony which are lighter than lead. So the end result is by volume a little less in weight than pure lead which may be what your mold was for.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Bub
    Cool.

1st time out I was holding the mould freehand and pouring.

2nd time i was placing the mould on the side plate of the smelting pot to pour. got a lot more consistancy on my weights.

Was not concentrating on how i was holding the handles. may have been switching holds.

Right under 300 bullets cast in my life so i am sure i have a lot fo technique to work on.

Thanks for the advice.

ADMIN

I cast with pure WW and it comes out @152 on average

Boolit Grand Master
    I think you're doing fine! A 1% variance in either direction is better than needed for most revolver ammo.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Heck changing brands of WW metal will net you that much change!

I wouldn't worry about it, it is good that you know what they weigh I treat every casting session as a different lot number and don't mix different lots because of weight change.

By the way I just finished swapping out three old style single cavity sprue Plates with one I bought from Red River Rick.

Holy Mackeral what a difference in quality!!!

Rick does make DC plates and they come with the hold down bolt you broke. Trust me buy a kit and upgrade the mold you have!

Rick's plates are twice as thick as the stock Lyman and recessed to help hold th washer in place. He just qouted me like 12.50 for the DC kit what a deal!

I will soon be heating up my lead pot and se how much easier it is to keep base's nice n square and filled out with the new plates!

Boolit Buddy
    I just randomly picked out six 358477's that I cast about a month ago from Ly#2 alloy (9 lbs clip on WW to 1 lb 50/50 solder); weights varied from 150.5gr to 151.5gr. Diam varied from .362" to .3625"

FWIW, your weights seem pretty consistent. I wouldn't worry about the fact that they're two or three grains lighter than nominal, that could be caused by a number of non-problematic factors. I......like Robert said, would be more concerned about your variation in diameter. Are you sure you're mik'ing them each in the same place in relation to the mould part?

John C. Saubak

Boolit Master
    Dropping a little light won't hurt a thing as long as the weights are consistant. You could add another pound of pure lead to your alloy and get closer to the 150 grain weight.

I have two Lyman four cavity 358477 moulds and they both drop 150 +/- one grain with my alloy.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master

My mould (DC Lyman) drops bullets that weigh 153 grains lubed.

Don't worry about it. The 358477 is a mould that had had many different cherries cut by Lyman and you'll see all kinds of variations in size and weight as it's a popular mould.

As long as the diameter's big enough to clean up in sizing they'll shoot all right./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by peerlesscowboy View Post
    I just randomly picked out six 358477's that I cast about a month ago from Ly#2 alloy (9 lbs clip on WW to 1 lb 50/50 solder); weights varied from 150.5gr to 151.5gr. Diam varied from .362" to .3625"

FWIW, your weights seem pretty consistent. I wouldn't worry about the fact that they're two or three grains lighter than nominal, that could be caused by a number of non-problematic factors. I......like Robert said, would be more concerned about your variation in diameter. Are you sure you're mik'ing them each in the same place in relation to the mould part?

John C. Saubak
    Tell ya the truth, I suck at measuring with calipers. I take 3 measurements and use the average. I measure the diameter by putting the boolit in lengthwise down so the caliper is across multiple bands. I just make sure i do not use a measurement that also goes in line with where the moulds meet. What is the term for that line anyway?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gtivan View Post
    .......... I just make sure i do not use a measurement that also goes in line with where the moulds meet. What is the term for that line anyway?
    Dunno' that's what I was referring to when I called it the "mould part"

Boolit Bub
    its nothing to worry about, molds throw different weights with different alloys. i casting a mold thats listed at 490 gr but with my 20 to 1 it throws 477gr, and i have another that is listed at 405gr and it consistantly throws 410gr. the pistol molds i have i dont even weigh those.

In Remebrance

We call that the seam, where the moulds halves meet.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for naming that sucker. So do you measure the seam or not when determining the diameter of a fresh cast boolit?

Boolit Grand Master
    No, you do not.
    It is not uncommon to have a slight (.0005-.001) bump at the seam.
    It gets ironed out duing sizing and has no discernable effect on accuracy, at least when used in Iron sighted revolvers. If you measure a boolit that is under size every where else at the seam, it might seem to be ok, but end up being a smidge undersized. Then you wonder why you get leading and worse groups.

You broke a sprue plate screw? You may be waiting too long before cutting your sprue. You also may need to sharpen up the cutting edge at the base of your sprue hole.

Your variation in weight is not gigantic, but it is there. If you look at the low weight boolits, do they have nice sharp base corners on them? Or are the corners rounded a bit?

Can you post some pictures of the boolits?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Your variation in weight is not gigantic, but it is there. If you look at the low weight boolits, do they have nice sharp base corners on them? Or are the corners rounded a bit?
    Good point that I overlooked.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast