Shooting Distance

When you guys shoot at paper, at what distance do you shoot?????/

Thanks Swynn

Boolit Master

Depends how hot it is and where the shade tree is. 35 yds to two hundred
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

I only have a 100yds now, but they are coming to thin the timber and I hope to make it 500yds.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

at 25 yards and I tell everyone it was 100 yards he he. doesn't everyone do that ?

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Buddy
    Wiff a handgun 21 - 50 yards, wiff a shotgun 30 yds, wiff a long gun 100 - 200 yds unless it's a rooski then 128.57 - 257.14 arshin.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Used to be close to a range that went to 300 ,only have about 120 or so now. How far do you need to shoot when hunting or competing? Having that number down i'd shoot that plus 10-50 depending on my shooting tool of choice.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Our club range goes out to 300M with berms at 50M, 100M, 150M, 200M, and 300M. When shaking out a new load, I usually start at 50 to develop a rough zero, move to 100 for fine tuning, and then to 150 or 200 for final tweaking. Probably 90% of my "serious" shooting of fully developed loads is at 200M or 300M.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    HI,
    It varies.
    I used to set up steel plates, at every 50yds. out to 200yds, to shoot at w/ Pb. Both rifle & pistol.
    But found I needed a real sense of humor past 200yds. w/ a pistol.
    Lately the FOREST CIRCUS & City of Provo have been shutting down all to places I went to to shoot.
    So this year it has been only about 33yds.
    And cost has caused me to shoot 22 alot more.

Boolit Master

Talking

My club has on the rifle range 25 yds, 100 yds, 200 yds and 300 yds with pits for target pullers. The club has separate ranges for Black Powder, Hand Gun, Shotgun and Air gun along with Archery.

Boolit Buddy
    Was at the 600m line this morning. I was "sick" of work and no wind... Any time any good place.

Boolit Master

For SD practice I'll start at arms length shoot and continue while moving back at a diagonal. I'll practice on the 7 yd line at a rapid pace. Mostly I shoot from the 25 yd and once in a while go to the 50 yard with my open sight hand guns. I'm only shooting paper now days.

EW

Boolit Master
    Depends on what I'm shooting.

Pistol, 22 38 45 44 spec. I limit to 50 yards and under just sighted my custom Ruger Mark I in at 50 a weekend ago.

44 mag and any of the small rifle rounds in the contender about 100.

Rifle as far as the range permits depending, of course, on wind, temp, and caliber!

Boolit Master

its best to have a place to shoot that doesnt have targets in 50m/yrd intervals. completely random target distances makes for much better training. What practical scenario are you going to come across where your targets are are always 50m apart? youre not. this is good if you shoot br, which to me tests the gun, not the shooter, to a point, which becomes a money race, not a skill race. Try to find somewhere to shoot with random distances. Shooting without a rediculously solid rest is excellent to practice too. Once again, if you have a 2 point rest, your not really testing your skill, but the abilities of the weapon. I know ill take a lashing from the br guys, and im NOT saying that br takes no skill, not so, simply saying it is best to practice at variouse ranges, stabilizing your weapon with your body and simple rests such as a rucksack or stump, yada yada. This is just my two cents, which probably isnt even worth that.

Boolit Master
    hooah, airborne. kd ranges build confidence and test the shooter and equipment (and ammo). When that is known, random distance tests the shooters ability to find range, judge distance. and apply that to his 'system'. A range card in a deer stand/p-dog shootin' bench makes it a 'no-brainer', eh? Your two cents is valued at more than the value of the two pennys it takes to represent it. That was a compliment in case you did not get it, airborne.

Boolit Bub
    My club has pistols up to .45's out to fifty yards; .22's rifle/pistol range with targets @ 25, 50, 75, 100; A 14 slot HP bench rest range with target berms @ 25, 50, 100 and 200; another HP range w/ shooting berms 200 thru 600 at 100 yd intervals with two sets steel silhouettes and a 14 target pit. They can stretch that one out to host 1500 yard matches, but that closes down the club house, the two skeet fields, the big bore pistol, .22 and the bench rest ranges. Still leaves open the sporting clays, wooble trap, two plinking ranges, some kind of personal defense pistol range (don't know the exact name for that one), and their new cowboy area. Most of mine is 100 yd bench with milsurps and some sporting clays and wobble trap. Once a year the milsurps do a 200 thru 600 match with the pit targets. Humbling....
    Last edited by okksu; 07-28-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Iron sighted rifle @50 & 100, scoped @ 100-300, pistols 15-50 yrds depending on what I want to do.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    pistol 15 to 30, shotgun 15 to 30, rifle 30 to 50. longest i have done is 225. need a longer range for my 50, but dam im to fat and lazy to want to walk that far some times.

Boolit Master
    Well I'm essentially only shooting pistol right now. From 5-10m to, don't know, maybe ~70m. The 5-10m is when I'm shooting multiple targets, think IPDA/IPSC style, just in the woods not a range. At the 'range', more like a clearing with a berm 100m out, I have to guess on the distances, but I'd would venture ~30m-70m.

5m and the like is good practice with a handgun, but I've found practicing at a good proper distance like 70m gives you confidence in what you can and cannot do with your particular gun and load at distance.

Boolit Master
    Smallbore and pistol 25 yards to 100m.
    Handgun 25 yards to 200 yards.
    Rifle 100 yards to 465 yards.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swynn View Post
    When you guys shoot at paper, at what distance do you shoot?????/

Thanks Swynn
    When I shoot paper, I'm studying, so solid bench and exact 15, 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards covers the gamut of my guns and gives me a benchmark. I have little interest beyond 100 because that is the limit of the ranges I have access to, and my own hunting land limits shots to 50-75 yards.

When I shoot for fun, it's usually with known-accurate gun/ammo combinations, so that confidence gives me one less thing to think about when I'm working on ME. Fun/practice shooting can happen at any range, any time, with any gun I take a notion. Last weekend I got on a "let's bang the 6" gong at 100 with my 4" 1911" kick. That was fun and edjucashunal. Final score was gong: 22, Me 4.

Gear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast