MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Does anyone use the Merit aperture?

Boolit Buddy

Does anyone use the Merit aperture?

I am thinking about trying one of the Merit apertures. Since I have a sight w/o an apeture and have to purchase one regardless I thought about the Merit. I like a small aperture for BR/target shooting but I could open it up for hunting.

Your opinions on the Merit disc would be welcome.

Thanks, malcolm

Boolit Master

For Mauser type rifle sights or irons on pistols I wouldn't be with out it. I've had one for many years.

Order a extra suction cup too.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

I have had and used one a lot. Anytime I'm working up a load for any open sight rifle or pistol for that matter I use it. Takes a little while to learn to get it just right and you sometimes get a funny look at the range but who cares, what is funny is the look on some of their faces when they see the group that you are shooting with a muzzleloader or some old wothless milsurp. I have used it a few time with peep sights at lot more difficult to get everything lined up but boy does it clear up those sights makes them look like they did 40 years ago. Now if I'm out just shootin' plinking or just having fun I don't use it.
    Richard

On Heaven's Range

There are several different Merit iris-type applications. It sounds like the original question refers to the iris equipped with a suction cup which attaches to the shooter's glasses. This is a valuable aid, particularly for iron-sight handgun work. My wife and I used them in Bullseye competition for years.

Less-known Merit iris apertures are available for iron RIFLE sights, both for target and hunting applications. I'm using several Merit apertures on iron-sighted rifles right now, and they're great. I believe they have thirteen different-size increments for the aperture, and they help a whole bunch in sharpening the sight picture. They simply screw into the sight in place of the original fixed-size aperture.

We must have at least four Merit irises here; I guess you could say we're using them...
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    There are several different Merit iris-type applications. It sounds like the original question refers to the iris equipped with a suction cup which attaches to the shooter's glasses. This is a valuable aid, particularly for iron-sight handgun work. My wife and I used them in Bullseye competition for years.

Less-known Merit iris apertures are available for iron RIFLE sights, both for target and hunting applications. I'm using several Merit apertures on iron-sighted rifles right now, and they're great. I believe they have thirteen different-size increments for the aperture, and they help a whole bunch in sharpening the sight picture. They simply screw into the sight in place of the original fixed-size aperture.

We must have at least four Merit irises here; I guess you could say we're using them...
    I was talking about the type that sticks on your shooting glasses but I would like to find some Merit apertures like you discribe. I have seen some in Brownnels but think they are for the Milmeter size apertures where can you find some for the Lyman type front sight apertures?
    Thanks
    Richard

Either mounted on the shooting glasses with a suction cup, or screwed into the aperture socket of a rear sight, they give you the ability to find the best combination of depth of field and light admittance. I might be hesitant to use one for hunting because of the fragility. Under most big game hunting conditions, I would prefer to remove all apertures and just sight through the socket. Light is usually more important than precision when hunting with irons.

Boolit Buddy

I was speaking of the aperture for the rear sight. I will use a regular aperture for hunting now that I know the disc is fragile. Thanks, Malcolm

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Love View Post
    I was speaking of the aperture for the rear sight. I will use a regular aperture for hunting now that I know the disc is fragile. Thanks, Malcolm
    I have 3 of them and almost always use them with all of my reciever sights. They work very well indeed and allow me to instantly taylor the aperture size to the light conditions to bring the front sight into focus. I use the "hunting" style with long stem. I also use a Merit target aperture on my old mossburg 144LS target .22LR and of course adjustable apertures (Gehman) on my Redfield Palma target sights. The Merit is well worth having if you use an aperture rear sight. Highly recommended.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple of the Merit apertures, that screw in to your receiver sight. They work well. Adjust them small for the range and with a simple twist they are big for hunting.

Boolit Master

I have 3.
    1 for eye glass mounting for muzzle loaders and handguns.
    1 for Lyman receiver sights (check thread size in Brownells catalog)
    1 for the "other" thread size. Fits other receiver sights.
    All the info to make a selection is found in Brownells catalog.

Also-- I dispute the claim of fragility. No, I've never given them the "Hammer" test, but use them as casually as any good steel sight appi'. You'd have to be some ham handed to accidentally break one. Just my opinion, of course.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I agree they are pretty sturdy. They will certainly take more of a beating than a scope, and keep working.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Love View Post
    I really like the adjustable merit. As I get older, being able to adjust to different light conditons is a big deal. I put a set of XS peep sights on a guide gun like the Factory Marlin SBL has. I felt like even the heavy ghost ring was not heavy enough. I bought a threaded post and put the merit #4 on it.

It made quite a difference. It gave me a nice heavy ring for my eyes to focus on the front sight. You should shoot with both eyes open anyway, so it gives you a great sight picture.

I also use the adjustable on small bore lever action silhouettes.

I don't think it is fragile at all. A tang sight is fragile to me, but not the rear apature if we are talking about the same thing.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0...rit_poundsign4
    Last edited by crabo; 07-28-2010 at 11:55 PM.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got one of them that is about 5/8" outside diameter, I have had it knocking around for fifteen years and it was old when I got it. I use it on various rifles when I take them to the range, I usually take the whole aperture out when hunting.

I would say that if the rifle gets hit hard enough to distort a merit disk, you will have even more problems elsewhere.

Robert

had one didn't like it,smuged specs too much. rather have my homemade one made from a pair of clip on,flip up sunglasses. lot cheaper also. $3.00 as compaired to nearly $60.00 for the merit.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Bub
    I have used the reciever mounted ones since 70. I wouldn't be shooting irons without a Merit.
    I have eye surgery twice so its the only way for me. You can google Merit and get to a web site. They still have ads in gun mags but right now I can't find one.

Has anyone tried to find a Merit sight recently? A number of people in our club want them but can't find them. I've used one for years and recommend them highly.

Boolit Master

I have used them for 30+ years. They are worth the price. I would change the size to match the light conditions and they worked perfectly for that

Boolit Grand Master

I have used them on occasion with High power match rifles. The only problem I ever had was the rubber eye cup disk failing from being pinched while adjusting it. But the actual appeture still worked and a replacement eye cup disk fixed it. They are basically a multi blade camera style shutter. The nice thing is they stay round regardless of size they are set at. On the older redfield target sights these are lighter and easier on them than the newer ones are. Merits site gives the disks and threads dia pitch and length, along with the sights they fit.

I have a couple Merit aperatures that have standard threads to use in Lyman or Redfield reciever
    sights. I also have a Parker Hale adj aperature but it has metric threads. I only use the Merits for
    target shooting. In the woods smallest aperature I use is Williams Twi-lite and most of the time no
    aperature. I just shoot through aperature hole in sight.

BUT where are they? Why can't you find them? You can't order direct anymore, you get referred to retailers. The retailers are out of stock and have been for a SIGNIFICANT period of time. There was an offering on eBay ... buy it now for $200!!! What's happened?? I think everyone is pretty much agreed that it is a wonderful product, so what's up?