RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: AA 3100 load for cast bullets

Boolit Master

AA 3100 load for cast bullets

I have a large quantity of this powder (AA 3100) The data I have for it is for mostly magnum rifle loads with J word bullets and some old data for it with cast bullets. I would like to use this stuff for cast loads in 30-06 (165 to 200 gr boolits) and also in the 7.5 Seiss round for the same bullets. Does anyone have data that will work in these. I contacted Accurate arms and they would not recommend any light loads for cast bullets. So I am really looking for data.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Data ?? nah , I don't think I saved what I wrote down a very long time ago but I do remember the experience pretty well though .

I had bought a jug of 3100 when I drove by Bucksnort one year on vacation . My thought was heavy cast out of a three oh eight Winchester . The mold I had was Lyman 311334 that wieghed out somewhere near a hundred and ninety-seven grains ready to put in the case . To remember the charge .... I can't , but it was compressed a little when the slug was seated to the base of the neck .

The loads worked ok even in thirty degree weather but I don't have a clue how fast or nothing . I don't know as if I would do anything like that today .... back then I felt invincible and could walk off the "reservation" just a little and get away with it

Is the stuff you have the same burning rate as IMR 4831 ?

Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a 8 pounder many years ago when it was simply MR3100. Yes, it's nearly identical to H-4831 in burn rate, and the same data can be used as long as you work up from below and don't reduce too much.

It is a fine powder for heavy jacketed bullets in .338 WM, 300 WM, and 7mm Rem. Magnum.

I've used it for cast loads in my 308 Win., it provides good grouping but doesn't burn completely due to the low pressure that can be achieved in that small case. I'm guessing it would work quite well in 30/06.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    I use it a lot in my '06 and 7x57 with jacketed bullets and in my .308, .30-30 and .300 Savage with cast boolits. I have found mine to be within 20 fps of H-4831 and yes, it does leave some unburned grains with the cast loads.

JDL

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the responses and it is as I suspected similar to 4831 so I will try some loads. I originally bought the stuff for my 1000 yard rifle in 300 Win Mag. It worked very well with 190 gr Sierra Matchkings.

Boolit Mold
    NickSS, Remember the warnings about using reduced loads of slow burning powder like AA 3100. There's been some fine boltguns took apart when a light load of "Progressive" powder detonated.

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    I have used MR3100 surplus in both 308 and 30-06 with reasonable accuracy. In the 308 I was loading 35 - 40 gr and the 30-06 40 -50 gr, all with 180 or heavier boolits. In the 30-06 I went up to 55 gr but it left a lot of lead in the barrel. The boolits were WW+ tin bhn 15-17. In all loads there was a lot of powder left in the barrel.

Carl