Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Cast Bullet Shooting Rest

Boolit Buddy

Cast Bullet Shooting Rest

OK, this really has nothing to do with cast bullets, except I will be using them...
    Does anyone know what Caldwell uses to fill their shooting rest bags? I'm looking at getting a Caldwell Tack Driver to seriously sight in my cast hunting loads and the unfilled bag is a good bit cheaper. Any ideas for filler?

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    I have no idea what Caldwell puts in their bags.
    I have put shot (long ago when shot and lead were easy to come by) sand, and there is some coated steel "shot" out there. I haven't used the steel pellets.
    You could even put small pea gravel in them. Anything that will conform to the shape you want in the bag.
    I've also made bags of old jeans. Just cut the legs to length, sew 'em shut real tight, and fill. I use an appropriate sized zip-lock bag liner, so they won't leak.

Boolit Master
    I've also made bags of old jeans. Just cut the legs to length, sew 'em shut real tight, and fill
    I've done that many times. Just get a couple pounds of cheap rice at Wally World. Works great but don't get it wet unless it is sealed inside a zip lock bag.

What caliber are you talking about? What load?

Boolit Master

I had the bag on my Caldwell Rock front rest tear open and the filler looks like ground walnut shells to me. For my back rest , I had the local upholstery shop sew up a couple of leather bags for me. Took my sand and had them leave a hole to fill then had them finish it up.....dale

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    What caliber are you talking about? What load?
    .360 DW's and milder 45-70.

Anyone used cat litter? Seems like it would have plenty of weight and conform as well. Though I wonder how long it would last.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I used rice years and years ago, have had no problem, but don't get them wet.

Boolit Master

Talking

Some people I know have used uncooked peas or rice but like others have said don't let it get wet or it will look like a Chia Pet. I have used shredded rubber and now I use poly beads with a cordura bag and don't care if it gets wet. My bench rest bag is filled with black sand.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use kitty litter in my bench bags. I imagine they are close to 20 years old, so it holds up well.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Coarse ground corncob pet bedding is clean, cheap and works great.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Mine are filled with ground walnut shells. Make sure they're REALLY full, PACKED full, regardless of the filler type. Mushy bags don't contribute to accuracy.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    I can't help you either on what Caldwell uses but I fill mine with the cheapest aquarium rock I can find, the finer grain rock about the size of rice or a bit larger.

Boolit Master
    I had the wife saw up some bags for me and filled them with kitty litter. Works ok. Although I suspect lead shot or sand might be better. But it's too heavy for this old guy. LOL.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone. I guess it'll be kitty litter since it the easiest option for me to obtain. But, it's good to know there are other good choices out there.

It seems like kitty litter beats down a little, and after a while you need to top it off again.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I use kitty litter in my bench bags. I imagine they are close to 20 years old, so it holds up well.
    Hey Ric...how long did it take before the smell was gone?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Bub
    [QUOTE=HammerMTB;956591]I've also made bags of old jeans. Just cut the legs to length, sew 'em shut real tight, and fill.QUOTE]

I've done this too. I Filled it with used tumbling media. It worked real good until a friend used it and had it too far forward. He put a nice hole it. It worked out for the best as he replaced it with a new Caldwell bag.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Hey Ric...how long did it take before the smell was gone?
    Still kinda nasty on a damp day!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I filled my bags with used brass cleaning corn cob media.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator