Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Marlin 1894CB with 24" barrel

Boolit Buddy

Marlin 1894CB with 24" barrel

I called Marlin and found out my 1894CB was manufactured in 1996 according to its serial number. It has a 24" barrel and is chambered in .45 Colt. But when I asked the lady at Marlin what year they went to only offering a 20" barrel on these rifles she was unable to tell me. Any one know when they stopped making the 1894CB with 24" barrels?

Thank You.

Boolit Master
    I think it was 3-5 years ago .

I had the 357 MAG , 44 MAG , 44-40 and 45 Colt all with 24" pipes , but my 357 and 45 had uncheckered stocks !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

Picked up a lever gun over the weekend, a Marlin CB 94 Cowboy with the 24" barrel. There is nothing really remarkable about that except that it only cost $300 AND it's ugly.

A couple years ago we did a case where a family disappeared while on probation and we had to hunt them down and bring them back. The daddy was in violation of probation and thought we had caught him so they ran off. His father in Law after they left found he was missing a couple guns and the SIL (Slime in Law) went up for felon in possession. About a year later we are working another case in the area and discover a survival bunker in the SIL's farm and buried in the dirt in the cave is a Marlin CB. The Father in Law, a good friend of mine looks in his gun room and his Marlin CB is an empty box! His cowboy special is ruined, the SIL is in the pen and can't be sued and my buddy is still out because NOW we are going after the SIL for another count of felon in possession.

End of story is the friend comes over this weekend and sells me the recovered rifle because he gets PO'ed just looking at it. The bore and internals are perfect but the whole outside of the gun was rusted and pitted in places and will need to be stripped, draw filed and re blued. The good news is the rifle is a real shooter, I had used it as a test gun for an article in NCOWS when they first came out and it was exceptionally accurate. I will be restocking the gun with a old style cresent butt stock and slim fore end and will rust blue the gun some day when and if I ever get time.

I won't publish my loads but in the 24" barrel with 4227 i was getting 1450 from a 250 grain bullet in the CB so it will make a good deer rifle for this fall.

I bought this gun in late 1995 and the early guns have a Badger barrel and are VERY accurate. The 24" tube has been gone for at least 5 years now but when Marlin was Marlin they did have some 24" barrels left in parts.

Boolit Bub
    I think it was more than 3-5 years ago. I have a 1894 Cowboy Limited with a 20" barrel it was made in 2005. They had discontinued the 24" barrels before that. But ... I don't know when.

KCSO,
    Hi there.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I think it was more than 3-5 years ago. I have a 1894 Cowboy Limited with a 20" barrel it was made in 2005. They had discontinued the 24" barrels before that. But ... I don't know when.

KCSO,
    Hi there.

Joe
    They changed the 357 and 44 first , but let the 45 Colt go on a couple more years before they made them all 20" .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Picked up a lever gun over the weekend, a Marlin CB 94 Cowboy with the 24" barrel. There is nothing really remarkable about that except that it only cost $300 AND it's ugly.

A couple years ago we did a case where a family disappeared while on probation and we had to hunt them down and bring them back. The daddy was in violation of probation and thought we had caught him so they ran off. His father in Law after they left found he was missing a couple guns and the SIL (Slime in Law) went up for felon in possession. About a year later we are working another case in the area and discover a survival bunker in the SIL's farm and buried in the dirt in the cave is a Marlin CB. The Father in Law, a good friend of mine looks in his gun room and his Marlin CB is an empty box! His cowboy special is ruined, the SIL is in the pen and can't be sued and my buddy is still out because NOW we are going after the SIL for another count of felon in possession.

End of story is the friend comes over this weekend and sells me the recovered rifle because he gets PO'ed just looking at it. The bore and internals are perfect but the whole outside of the gun was rusted and pitted in places and will need to be stripped, draw filed and re blued. The good news is the rifle is a real shooter, I had used it as a test gun for an article in NCOWS when they first came out and it was exceptionally accurate. I will be restocking the gun with a old style cresent butt stock and slim fore end and will rust blue the gun some day when and if I ever get time.

I won't publish my loads but in the 24" barrel with 4227 i was getting 1450 from a 250 grain bullet in the CB so it will make a good deer rifle for this fall.

I bought this gun in late 1995 and the early guns have a Badger barrel and are VERY accurate. The 24" tube has been gone for at least 5 years now but when Marlin was Marlin they did have some 24" barrels left in parts.
    This if the first time I had heard of some them having Badger Barrels on them. How do you check for the rifle having a Badger Barrel? Is there some specific marking, etc.? Mine holds a tighter group than I can shoot and since I put a Marble's Improved Tang sight on it, it just got that much better. I shoot BP in it almost exclusively anymore, 37grn GOEX FFFg and Lyman 454190. Last time I check it with a chrony I got 1280 fps.

Boolit Master
    The whippy little 22" round barrel on my newer '94 CB in .32-20 is very annoying when it comes to shooting various different cast boolit loads. It is very consistent and accurate with one particular load so far but points of impact vary from one load change to another so much that you can't tell where you have to hold to compensate. Not only vertical shifts but horizontal as well.

An old Winchester '92 with 24" octagon barrel plants these same loads a little higher or lower
    with no horizontal shifting at all.

One of these days it might pay to put a heavier barrel on that little Marlin and see what it will do?