Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching Spent Primers On a Hollywood Senior?

Boolit Master

Question Catching Spent Primers On a Hollywood Senior?

I really enjoy using my Hollywood Senior, but I don't like the way it spews spent primers around the room. There isn't much room between the press frame and the shellholder when in the down position, so I don't think I can attach any type of cup to it.

At this point my only option is to attach plastic tubing to the bottom of the shellholder, but that means it will be flapping around as I resize/deprime.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to collect the primers?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 3/4" diameter soft plastic bottle cut to about 1" length. It slips over the shell holder nut. Works great but needs to be emptied before it gets full and is pushed off by the primers

Boolit Master
    Was I the only one who had no clue what Kevin is posting about until I googled "Hollywood Senior"? Apparently it's the Magma Star of reloading presses?

Boolit Master

I figure if you know what it is, you probably have one and may have solved my problem. If you don't know what it is, you probably haven't solved my problem as you don't have one.

Actually, I assumed that everyone here had heard of it as I have seen quite a few in members' reloading room pictures.

Here is my cast steel, 1954 Cadillac:

Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, it's pics like that that make me want to take up metal working.
    [/tangent]

Kevin,
    I don't have an answer for you. I am about to start building something, cause I'm sick of the primer litter also.
    30/30 Guys bottle sounds like it would work well. Maybe with a larger container.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    Was I the only one who had no clue what Kevin is posting about until I googled "Hollywood Senior"? Apparently it's the Magma Star of reloading presses?
    No, it's a good press, but it's not the ultimate. If you have to buy one today, look for used. http://www.hevanet.com/50shooter/Hollywood.html. You really don't want to support or deal with the liars that own the current shop.

GsT

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xr650 View Post
    Kevin,
    I don't have an answer for you. I am about to start building something, cause I'm sick of the primer litter also.
    30/30 Guys bottle sounds like it would work well. Maybe with a larger container.
    It will work, but I don't see it being too practical as there is only 1-1.5" of space available. This means that that 1" container won't hold too many primers (20?). I don't care to empty it every 20-rounds. Some mechanism is needed to move the spent primers to another location.

I plan on trying the plastic tubing approach unless someone suggests something more practical. I have a C-H 111 setup beside the Hollywood and it desperately needs something. I plan to add a plastic tube to it and run the tube thru a hole in the table to a collection container. I may run both tubes to the container. I'll post pictures when this is done.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    No, it's a good press, but it's not the ultimate. If you have to buy one today, look for used.
    I value other people's opinions and always looking to improve the quality of my presses.

1. What do you feel is the ultimate single-stage press in current production?

2. What do you feel is the ultimate single-stage press not in production?

This would make a good,new thread.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    If you have to buy one today, look for used.
    This is excellent advice. I have been tracking single-stage Hollywood Seniors on Ebay for several months now. There is normally at least one for sale, and they go for $105-225 depending on what accessories come with them.

One just sold appeared to be in excellent condition and it is the followon version to mine; it came with a set of 30/06 dies. The press went for $151, which is an average price, but well worth it. A newer design one (taller with the bracing rod) went for $162. Good price.

Turrets are going for $600-700 dollars.

I haver been trying to classify Hollywoods in my mind and have decided that they are a "C" press. However, calling them "Cs" is like calling Superman 'normal'. These presses have cast steel frames that don't flex at all. Mine looks brand new but is between 51-56 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    I value other people's opinions and always looking to improve the quality of my presses.

1. What do you feel is the ultimate single-stage press in current production?

2. What do you feel is the ultimate single-stage press not in production?

This would make a good,new thread.
    1. I think the best single-stage press currently made is probably one of the Corbin swage presses. (CSP-1 or Mega-Mite) Of course they're priced like the best, too.

2. Tough to say - I've seen some pretty good homebuilt 'O' designs.

I'd classify the Hollywood single-stage presses as super-'C', and the Turrets as an 'O/C' hybrid. (The turret presses have a removable bar that threads into place to make one station an 'O' configuration. (The bar must be removed to index the turret).

GsT

Boolit Buddy
    The 3/4" diameter bottle 1" long will hold over 50 LR primers below the shell holder nut.

It would be a tough choice between my Hollywood and my Dunbar 2 holer.

Years ago, I used the plastic top from a paint spray can to catch primers on my Hollywood press. I trimmed it down to a little over an inch in depth and then drilled a hole in it to place a bolt into the primer post hole. The puts it directly under the shellholder and catches about 99% of the primers. It will hold several hundred primers before it has to be emptied. I did cut a small circle of naugahyde to fit in the bottom, since the primers would bounce off the bolt head when it's empty. I also used a very wide, thin headed bolt to hold it in place.

Now I just deprime on my Rockchucker and use the Hollywood for other chores. On the Rockchucker, I use a piece of drinking straw in the slot in the ram to direct the primers into the tray.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Grand Master

Just put the nozzle of an old vacuum next to the off side and ya won't have to empty it in your lifetime. It'll even keep the black grunge off your press. Using some PVC fittings will shape it any way you want.
    In the Winter it adds heat to the room, and in the Summer, with outside exhaust, pulls in fresh air.
    It can be any brand and as long as it runs, and will provide enough suction for this purpose.
    This works with all presses reguardless of how it originall dealt with the spint primers.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know --- that machine looks a bit flimsy.
    You sure it's gonna hold up?

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 07-14-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    could always use a magnet

Boolit Master

The Hollywood problem is not yet solved, but I will try the paint can option.

I have, however, solved the '111' problem. CH uses a 1/4 threaded male end to their shellholder. I added a 1/4" to 3/8" pipe bushing (Watts #A-778) and to that I added a 3/8" hose barb adapter (Watts A-298), then attached some 3/8" clear plastic tubing. A hole was cut in the top of the bench behind the 111 and the tubing was run thru the hole and into a coffee can on the shelf below. Voila!

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 08-22-2010 at 10:29 AM.

I have the HUGE Hollywood Universal 12 station turret press and have the same problem. I dont think they ever worried about primers on the floor for some reason. Heres a pic of what I have to deal with. LOL. The shell holder turret slides up and down in the main body and theres no where to put anything to catch the primers.

** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Boolit Master
    I have of those lovely chunks of iron, my left hand is the primer catcher for the Senior. The turret press just gets already deprimed, trimmed and sized cases. I do not have the priming turret like mikeanbarb (jealous) but these are very fine presses.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frank505 View Post
    I have of those lovely chunks of iron, my left hand is the primer catcher for the Senior.
    Would you believe that I never considered doing this?!

Problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast