Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Thoughts & opinions on the rcbs a2 & 2a reloading press

Thoughts & opinions on the rcbs a2 & 2a reloading press

I have been the proud owner of a RCBS A2 reloading press for the last 8 years. Over the weekend I picked up a RCBS 2A with priming attachment included. The look similar but different as well. I would like to get some more info/history about the 2A. Any info would be appreciated...as always.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    http://www.nra.com/
    CBA MEMBER

"PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH" RONALD REAGAN

Post a pic of the two side-by-side, I'd be interested in seeing the differences.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Will do!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    CBA MEMBER

Here are the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF6090.jpg   DSCF6091.jpg   DSCF6092.jpg   DSCF6093.jpg  
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    CBA MEMBER

Banned
    There is not a lot of difference. The 2A dates to 1959-1961. Your early A2 dates 1961-1967. After 1967 there were several significant changes to the 2A. If you call RCBS they will tell you they are all A2's and they have no parts.

The main changes to yours are the color (better looking), casting boss where the primer arm attaches and the assembly pins. The markings also changed. Both presses are cast steel and hand fitted/assembled. Both are threaded for an 1-1/8-18tpi bushing, interchangable as is the primer arm.

I need a handle and handle stud for one, if anyone has a spare.

Ken

Boolit Master

The A2 is a fine old press. I have had mine about nine months. I need the small primer attachment if anyone has one..PM me. I used a RC for the past 40 years and thought I would never use anything else. My son happened on this one and gave it to me as a gift. What a boy! I have an RCBS swage for removing the crimp on military brass and it won't work on the A2 due to the larger hole for the ram. I had to set up the old RC for a little duty, so I guess I still need it.

Boolit Bub
    I picked up a 2A about 20 years ago for the princely sum of $40. It needed a handle which I quickly threaded up on my lathe. I remembered these were used for swaging bullets (hence the Rock Chuck Bullet Swage) and called RCBS about parts. When I enquired about the "2A" I was transfered to the No. 1 man himself, believe it was Buzz Huntington who explained the 2A was the very first press they cast. The foundery reversed the lettering on the die when it was made, should have been A2, but the first 500 (I recall that's what he said, it's been 20 years!) were cast as 2A's. Even then they had no parts to speak of. I bought a blank ram and machined it to fit the current snap in type of shellholder, and a spare blank ram to maybe use for swaging .22LR's into cheap plinker slugs. It shares a place of honor on my loading bench, not far down from the Co-Ax.

Up until a year or two ago, Huntington Die Service had a limited number of parts for the A2 press. Primers arms was one of the items they sold. I bought one, but be prepared to pay full price and then some.

Boolit Master
    I purchased my A2 used aout twenty five years ago. I gave sixty dollars for it at the time and definetly consider it money well spent. I have owned a couple dozen presses over the years and still have about a dozen but if I was only allowed to own one this would be the baby. As I have attested previously, it can do it all and do it well! Neil