RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: ffg vs fffg

Boolit Mold

Question ffg vs fffg

I reload 45-70 for my 1884 trapdoor. I am getting low on ffg BP and finding a local source is next to impossible. So, I was wondering, can I use fffg as a substitute? I load 70 grains of ffg (weighed) behind a 500 grain lead boolit. Advice welcome and thank you.

While I use FF for .45-70, a number of the guys I shoot BPCR with use FFFg for the .45-70. Probably the only issue might be increased fouling. What ever you put in the case will be pretty much a solid cake after sufficient compression to seat a 500-550 grain bullet.
    Last edited by Dan Cash; 07-24-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If your bullet will still make contact with the powder. Try 65 grs of the3f , that should give you the same velocity as the 70 grs of 2.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The FFFg will give as Don M has said more velocity with less powder. You may even mix the two powders. I find in shooting SASS matches that the FFF gives less fouling. I have been shooting a mix of BP that has shown some good results. Equal amounts of both FF and FFF in 44-40 cases for SASS matches. The accuracy is just as good or better and the fouling is much less with a easier clean up. You will also find those who use the FFF in the 45-70 case to shoot BPCR as Don C posted.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Major Tom, don't know where you are located but I can't buy reall BP in San Diego county so I order from these people minmum order is 5 lbs, price listed includes hazmat fee. They are great people to deal with.
    http://www.powderinc.com/index.html
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006