Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: How to drill hollow points

Boolit Bub

How to drill hollow points

I'd like to hollow-point some 45-70's. How do you center the hole and hold the bullet? I have a drill press and a hand drill, no lathes or anything that exotic.

I could use pliers and eyeball the center. Does an off-center hole matter? Will the pliers chew up the bullet?

Thanks
    Rob

Boolit Bub
    Never made hollow points, but I have drill centered holes in multiples of identical pieces: take a square block of wood, mark the center. Unless you have a drill bit that is verrry close to your boolit diameter, chuck a larger than boolit sized bit in the DP and drill at the center mark you made on the block, to the just below the depth of the first lube groove from the back of the boolit (forstner bit would be best). Lock the quil down and clamp the block to the DP table without moving it. Mix some expoxy or JB and lube a boolit good so it won't stick to the mix. Fill the hole and eyeball the bullet in the middle of the hole (or use a combo square set to the middle of the block less the boolit radius. Go do something else til your mold is ready. Change the bit to your HP hole size and start drilling. Save the mold and you can index the block next time with a new boolit and the drill bit..... If you need to hold the boolit while drilling, pad some plier jaws with a couple of layers of adhesive/duct tape so you won't scare things up
    Last edited by okksu; 07-23-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I don't think you'll find an easier system than drilling out the centre of your seating stem. Read my post on the 21st. I used a lathe but the first one I did was just freehand with a $15 chinese drill. Start from the bullet seating cone and the hole is naturally centered and a little bit of runout is neither here nor there. I have only used lyman dies for this system and I can't say if it works with other brands.
    one hundred and forty one could draw faster than he but Irving was searching for one forty three.

“an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

Someone here was using an old brass case inverted over the bullet and used the primer hole as a guide.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    Someone here was using an old brass case inverted over the bullet and used the primer hole as a guide.
    Throw that idea out. It is far too simple to use when we can complicate things considerably!

Seriously, that is genius!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    I was going to plug you, but you beat me to it!

Gear

Boolit Master

Probably one of the better ways is with a Forster Case trimmer and their hollower pointer attachment. I use it all of the time when making hollow point boolits. Slow, but quite effective...

Only problem would be the cost of all the "stuff" from Forster if you don't already have the trimmer setup. A bit pricey today. I purchased mine many many years ago...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Master
    Probably one of the better ways is with a Forster Case trimmer and their hollower pointer attachment.
    I use that too. But the 1/16 drill is too thin to work well. The 1/8 isn't too bad though. But unless you already own the Forster forget it. BCB is right. Too much money.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Grand Master

The Forster HP tool can easily be used with other trimmers, especially for bigger bullets like .45s. Use a drill bit that fits the pilot stem hole in whatever trimmer you have. Then use than drill bit to drill out the hole in the Forster tool. Simple to do and then use as intended. I use the 1/8" Forster bit as is and have had very good results with HPs in bullets from .30 cal up through .45. The trick is to use a proper alloy and adjust the depth of the HP to suit the velocity used. The game shot with it is also figured in the equation.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    mooman76 - you are my first choice.
    okksu - second choice
    HammerMTB - My vote for Last Comic Standing

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    At first glance I thought "this will only work on handgun ammo". Then I got to thinking (always scary). I could use a piece of 30 carbine brass to hold .30 cal boolits. I think I'll try some.

I don't own a .30 carbine gun. I pick up any brass I find wether I load it or not

Boolit Mold
    I used a drill press with the bit upside down, lowered it into a vice to get center and locked it down. Put the bullet, two bullets if they are short in the chuck and hand tighten it. Lower slowly and set the stop on the press to depth.

Boolit Mold
    How deep should I drill them?

Boolit Master

However deep you want bud, I wouldn’t go past halfway though.

Boolit Master

I know there are those who will differ with me and I hate to rain on the picnic but I've tried the Forster HPer as well as many of the methods mentioned. Slow and aggravating and not consistent to the point of making you bald. If you need HPs for a .45/70, I'm sure one of the guys on here with a HP mould would run you off a hundred or so for much less money than the aggravation you'll encounter. The Forster jigs were just not made for production./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Ive found 1/8" to 3/16" works really good. Let's the nose flare out but doesn't lose too much weight if it shears off. If the petals shear off your left with a fairly heavy wadcutter which just ain't too bad anyway. The biggest problem with deep HPs is the loss of penetration. Depending on what your shooting. Penetration isn't always needed such as on coyotes.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live