Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: 45 Colt bullet to sights...

Boolit Grand Master

45 Colt bullet to sights...

I've got a Uberti/Cimarron SSA clone in 45 Colt ordered and I'm shopping for a bullet (I've been casting for a while). The gun has fixed sights and I'm wondering, what bullet/load are the sights "regulated" for? So far I'm considering a 230-250 gr RNFP running 750-800 fps. but am open to suggestions. Not for hunting, competition or SD, jes fer fun. Any info on the sight regulation will help a lot...

thnx...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I have a beretta stampede/ uberti saa. It shoots to poa with bullets from 200gn- 255gn. The elevation may be slightly different, but not much. When I first got it, I worked up a Low recoil load for my wife, and it shoots these lights out. I use a lee tl- 200swc over 7.5gn of unique. Easy on the shooter, and easy on the gun. I have also shot 250gn l-rnfp over 8.0- 8.5gn of unique. These have also shot to p.o.a. With minor variances in elevation.

I think you will like your new uberti. They are quality made. The blueing is great, and the fit and finish are better than ruger. The throats on mine were right on at .4525. The forcing cone was very well done. Just remember, it is not a ruger, and pressures should be kept in the 14,000cup (tier 1) range.

The 45 colt load is 255gr bullet so I would expect poa/poi with that bullet in the 800fps range. A 200gr could shoot quite a bit lower but every gun plays diff with diff bullets.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I have adjustable sights on my Blackhawk, but really like the NOE 230 tumble lube rnfp. .453, no sizing and 2 coats of bll. Shoots fine in my Ruger. Should be easy to adjust the powder charge to match your sights. hc18flyer

Boolit Master

It’s counterintuitive but if it shoots low reduce the charge. If high, increase the velocity. It has to do with how long the boolit takes to clear the barrel.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Barrel length matters. My 7.5" Cattleman in 44-40 shot to sights with 200gr boolit and a case full of FFFG. Same load in my 4 3/4" Cattleman was way off. Same front sight height on both of them! Had to file the front sight on that one.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have a Ubeerti Cattleman SAA in 45 Colt - 7 1/2" barrel. I have tried several boolits in it that were lighter weight - 200 and 225 grainish and I still go back to using my Ideal/Lyman 454-190 - the traditional boolit. I'e tried a number of powders in it - Green Dot, Red Dot, Bulls Eye and Unique. Green Dot worked well but I still go back to Red Dot which has given me the best accuracy in my particular pistol. In my Uberti, the chambers are pretty generous. I've sized my boolits to .452 and as dropped at .454 - both seem to work equally well - I just tumble lube in paste wax/alox. I use a 6.0 grain load of Red Dot. It shoots very well - the furthest I've shot it is 50 yards as that was what my range was at our old house. My eyesight isn't the best - I'm older - but if I do the job, it will put them at an acceptable grouping. My first shot at 50 yards was a bulls eye - beginner's luck!

Like you say your intended use is for fun, that describes mine as well. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get a 45 Colt as it's probably one of my favorites to load and shoot.

My suggestion would be to maybe see if you could buy some sample boolits in different weights and try them. I think that a lot of the commercial boolit folks have sample packs that you can buy - or post an ad on this site for some of what you are looking to try.

If you decide on the traditional 255 gr RNFP - and you can't find a used Lyman/Ideal or other - take a look at what NOE has. They have one that replicates the traditional boolit nicely.

I mentioned that the chambers are "generous" on my Uberti - when I get new Starline or range brass, I full length size it. After the first shooting, I basically neck size it to a little below the seating depth. My thinking was that it would work the brass less in the long term - but - tumuli tell. So far, the neck sizing has worked well for what I'm doing. And, it's only being shot in one gun.

Once you pick your boolit, work on your loads for the powder you want to use and you'll figure out the sweet spot for POA/POI. I've been shooting SA revolvers for years and it takes a while to get used to the gun and the sights. Start out at specific distances to work up your loads but then work on "odd distances" - that will teach you to be able to have accuracy ad any distances you're comfortable shooting at - and it will teach you how to use some Kentucky windage as well.

Good luck - you're really going to enjoy that pistol and the 45 Colt. I have 4 different Ubertis - love them all - well made and beautiful handguns. I haven[t done anything to any of them as each one was nice right out of the box - crisp trigger pull, tight lock-up - I can't say enough good about any of them. Enjoy!
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 07-30-2018 at 08:36 AM.