Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 Max as a rifle cartridge ?

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I needed an idea on where to focus my currently limited reloading and shooting time.

D
    Never trust a skinny chef, a fat personal trainer, or anyone who can't stand beer.

Blessed are those who are cracked, for they shall let in the light.

Boolit Master
    its been a long time since ive been signed in here.i saw this thread and i like talking about the 357max.

22grains of w296 under a 190 grain Ranch Dog gives these kind of speeds and thats out of a 15 inch barrel

I shot a number of deer with the Ranch Dog boolit and it works great on them.if you dont have time to cast and want a real good 158grain hunting bullet you all should try the 158grain Hornady xtp flat nose,it puts deer down very fast and I have pushed them well past the 2000 fps range

I've had good luck with 20gr H110 and a 215 SWC on deer. Also 16gr H110 with the same boolit in a dan wesson. One of the guys I hunt with is having fantastic luck with RL7 in a handi rifle and jacketed 158's

Hi all,
    I'm toying with an idea of building up a little Shutzen / Off hand, Black powder rifle for 100 and 200 yd.
    I have the opportunity to pick up a little Low Wall reasonably cheap but will need a new barrel.

So I was looking around on the Forums and spotted this thread on the 357 Max.
    I think the calibre is about right but not sure on case capacity for BP, I'm guessing about 30.0 grns FFF, which would send a 200+ grn bullet down range well enough. The bullet will be breach seated.
    Of course the rifle could be used with smokeless too.

Just wondering what twist rate is being used. Any help appreciated.

Then there's the .357/.44 Bain and Davis.???? Anyone got any info on this one.

Thanks all, M S.

Boolit Master
    My T/C Carbine in 357 Max has a twist rate of 1/14". It has shot well any boolit I have tried from a 150 RN plain base to the 204Gr RFGC.

Boolit Master
    Stevens created a variety of 32-35 caliber black and semi-smokeless cartridges in 1890-1900 period for similar purpose. some of them are detailed in Cartridges of the World, obsolete section. unfortunately, i do not have a copy handy. 32-30 comes to mind.

35-30 maynard is also similar in capacity to a 357 maximum, but used in weaker actions.

Twist is normally 1 in 14 inches, case capacity is normally 34 grains of water
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Hi all,
    I realise this is an old thread but am very interested in this topic.
    I am toying with an idea of building a Shutzen / Off hand, type of rifle for 100 and 200 yd competition.
    Here's the catch...... for black powder use.

I know there are plenty of BP calibers out there, I've got, or had most of them at some stage.
    This is what will hopefully be, a fun little project, bucket list thing if you like, that works.
    I like the 35 cal, obviously it's in between the normal, 32 and 38.

Others to consider I guess are.... Necked down .38/55 - 357. 44 Mag / 357.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with any of these calibers,... twist rates, bullet length and weight, case capacity etc.

Cheers, Ian in Oz.

357 max makes an excellent black powder cartridge. It should be a good choice for schutzen competition, very light recoil and accurate in a properly chambered barrel.

Boolit Buddy

Never used a 357 Max with black powder, have been shooting black powder in a 20 in encore barrel in. 44-1.6 (445 case) for a while. It's been fun using a 200 grain cast bullet. I can not see why .357 Max would not work well also. JMHO

Rafe
    Last edited by Rafe Covington; 02-23-2018 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Can not spell LOL
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Thanks for the replies guys,
    Must be getting doddery, didn't realise I'd put two posts up. hahaha.

Beginning to think the 357 Max will be the go.
    Or 38/55 - 357. shall we call it 35/45.

Cheers, Ian from Oz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12