MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: toilet seat ring for lube

Boolit Master

toilet seat ring for lube

a friend of mind uses toilet seat ring mixe with bee was.... 3 seat with 1 bee wax by volume.....seems to work great even with plain base bullets up to 1500....My question is have some of you have experience whith this lube ..... and is there some harmful chemical in this .... thank you

Boolit Grand Master

Northernly challenged 4570; I don't know about harmful chemicals, but I tried some mixed 50/50 with crisco for muzzle loader lube, wasn't worth a hoot. It left a hard fouling in the barrel that made reloading impossible, it was even hard to scub out with hot soap and water. I'm sure there are several manufactures and formulas for them, the ones I used were marked DO-IT-BEST, I thru the lube out and never looked back, may work fine for smokeless with your friends mix.

Boolit Master

I've picked up a lot of lube recipies off the net in the last year or two that contain toilet gasket. Seems it was quite popular years ago but I believe that the ring gaskets use to be bee's wax, they are not anymore. I'm all set up to experiment with lube ingredients for fun, I even have toilet gasket. I don't for a minute believe that I'll ever beat Felix Lube or Lar45's lubes but I will have a lot of fun trying.
    Last edited by Hip's Ax; 08-25-2006 at 11:25 AM.

There was a discussion on this topic here a few months ago, but I don't remember any of the details. Pehaps a search would turn up more info and save you some time & trouble.
    Born OK the first time.

canuck4570, Years ago I had several like-new toilet seals on hand after a remodeling project. Rather than toss them away, I used them to make a version of Emmert's Lube (search Google for recipes), which I use only in the .45-70 with Pyrodex and/or BP loads. Btw at that time I didn't know that toilet seals/rings were made from petroleum-based wax rather than beeswax. And yes, it works quite well for me and will flow through my lube-sizer in an unheated (50 deg. F) basement.

Banned
    most toilet rings are now made of slack wax which is basically unrefined petrolatum and parraffin and a host of other unrefined petrochems. I would stick with beeswax, it is much more user friendly when you start pushing things. YMMV

I give my rings to a carpenter friend of mine to be placed under toilets where they belong. I give my parraffin to my sister to be used in canning and candles.

I get my beeswax locally for 2 bucks a pound, so it not only works better it is cheaper, win win in my eyes at least...

Michael

I get my beeswax from my hives. (I'm probably one of the few members who can make that claim!) Actually, I don't get much extra wax, but it is available locally from the beekeeping supply store where I get my hive equipment. Mostly I get honey from my hives.

Boolit Master

Found one of the recipies I was thinking about, but I would imagine that this is old enough to have been when toilet rings were made of different stuff.

Lube Formula - Colorado Shooters

1/3 Candle Wax (140 Degree F Melting Point)
    1/3 Cosmoline
    1/3 Bowl Wax
    4 oz. Olive Oil added per pound of lube

Ratio's are approximate and are non-critical. A little more or a little less of any
    component seems to make no difference in performance. Candle wax is available at any
    hobby store, which sells candle-making supplies. Cosmoline is available in small
    quantities from suppliers such as Midway, USA, Inc. 1-800-243-3220 or
    http://www.midwayusa.com . Bowl wax is available in any Home Depot or similar store.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    In the CAS shooting side, a popular BP lube is Dick Dastardly's Pearl Lube.
    The recipe is:
    1 part - Soy Wax
    1 part - Toilet Ring Wax
    1 part - Vegetable Shortening

Cold weather - decrease the toilet ring
    Hot weather - increase the toilet ring

Does it work? Yep, not even a tad of lube starvation and every shot leaves a star on the muzzle.

After my own home brew lube, this is the one I like for BPCR. Use the Pearl Lube exclusively for CAS BP reloads
    Regards
    John

Banner Sponsor

The first couple of lubes I tried to make started with bowl wax. I found the finished product to have a bad irritating affect on my hands sort of like a mild chemical burn.
    Some of them had ATF in it. Don't know if that made a difference.
    I never did shoot any. I thought that if the lube was acidic then I didn't want it in my gun.
    Has anyone else experienced a skin irritation from a Bowl Wax lube? Or anything similar?
    I play with Alox, bee's wax and secret ingredients no. 3 and 7 on a daily basis and haven't noticed anything similar.

just my $.02, not trying to say that bowl wax lubes are .......?

Craft stores might not be the best place to get Bee's Wax. The local store here charges $14 a lb!
    I get alot of my supplies from www.thesage.com
    http://www.texasdrone.com/ seems to have a good price on bee's wax.