RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 45 caliber Air Rifle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post

What kind of ballistics are yielded by the roundballs from the PCP rifles?
    Roundball will be a bit less, but the 360gr boolit I cast (right)

Fired from this...

With a 3500psi fill, sends it downrange at 890fps and that's 630 ft-lbs. Groups run at an inch ( 50 yards) for 4 shots, then a fill is needed.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you decide to go the scuba tank route, there is a scuba shop in Mesa called Saguaro Dive & Sport that will sell tanks to people without a C-card as long as he knows that is is going to be used for an air gun. He's located at 908 E. Impala Ave. Airguns of AZ in Chandler should have all the pumps, fittings, adapters, etc.

How much were you looking to get for that Encore?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Hey, neither one of those two businesses are very far from where I live. When I get that far along I'll have to check them out.

I've been waiting all day for the FedX guy to deliver my new air rifle. I went out to check my mail and found the FedX door tag stuck to my front door. If this weren't a family friendly forum I'd be able to use the appropriate words to describe how I feel right now.

I basically took the day off just to wait for this guy to show up too.

When I called their customer service to see why their driver snuck in and out so stealthfully they didn't have a clue. Fortunately they're going to attempt another delivery tomorrow/Saturday. Unfortunately their driver could arrive anywhere from 9:00 in the morning to 8:00 in the evening.

Looks like it's going to be another long wait.

JIMinPHX, you asked about the price of the Encore pistol I'm wanting to sell. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but, a while back I tried to sell some of the components from this same TC Encore on the "For Sale" listing on this sight.

I got alot of looky-lou's but no buyers. At the time I was selling everything but the frame. This time around I'm wanting to sell the whole enchilada if I can.

I went back and checked my bank statements to help me remember how much I paid for the various components. I didn't realize it added up to so much.

I'm wanting to get at least $395.00 for the whole thing. (Frame, Barrel, Scope, Grips, Scope Rail, Factory Iron Sights) Plus shipping unless it's bought by someone in town.

I've never shipped a firearm to a buyer before so I'm not really sure how that goes. Hopefully it's not to complicated.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Hollowpoint

I have the collar button boolit mold also. Have a 1 lb. can ful of lubed and sized at 458. If you want ot ttry some let me know.

If you need unlubed I can cast some. Mostly use 30-1 for this boolit. Plinker in 45-70 and 458 mag.

I also have a 400gr. spitzer boolit for 45 if you would like to give it a try.

Just pm me when you need to.

swamp

Boolit Master
    Thank you Mr. swamp:

I'll will definately take you up on your offer. I'd kind of like to see how those collar button bullets work out on this air rifle.

I've had a couple of big buckets full of stick on wheel weights for some time now. It looks like I finally have a gun that will need
    little if any alloy mixing to get them to work.

Now all I need is for this Air Gun to actually get here.

Thanks again.
    HollowPoint

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    I'm wanting to get at least $395.00 for the whole thing. (Frame, Barrel, Scope, Grips, Scope Rail, Factory Iron Sights)
    You have a PM in you in-box.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

BABore in the vendor section makes a collar button mold.

Banned

Awesome subject. Keep the info coming with pics if possible. ...

These are a few boolits that you might want to try as pellets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PelletsT.JPG  
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Maybe that first photo didn't make those boolits look like anything special, but if you look at what I did to the bases, they might seem a bit more appropriate for the task at hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PelletsB.JPG  
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SharpsShooter View Post
    Roundball will be a bit less, but the 360gr boolit I cast (right)

Fired from this...

With a 3500psi fill, sends it downrange at 890fps and that's 630 ft-lbs. Groups run at an inch ( 50 yards) for 4 shots, then a fill is needed.

SS
    Now that's a pellet gun!

How loud is it?

Boolit Master
    Those look very interesting. Did you use one of your little hollow pointing tools to hollow out the tail ends? Have you shot them out of any of your firearms? What weights are they?

Pat Marlins: I had my camera sitting back on my work bench all day long just waiting to take some pictures but, the FedX guy slipped in and out so stealthfully that I didn't get my Air Gun today after all.

I hope to have it in my hands tomorrow. I could swear my camera was salivating. I know I was. The delivery of my new toy turned out to be a non-event. Oh well, better luck tomorrow.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

Those look very interesting. Did you use one of your little hollow pointing tools to hollow out the tail ends? Have you shot them out of any of your firearms? What weights are they?

Pat Marlins: I had my camera sitting back on my work bench all day long just waiting to take some pictures but, the FedX guy slipped in and out so stealthfully that I didn't get my Air Gun today after all.

I hope to have it in my hands tomorrow. I could swear my camera was salivating. I know I was. The delivery of my new toy turned out to be a non-event. Oh well, better luck tomorrow.

HollowPoint
    That sounds like the brass I was waiting for a few weeks ago. I waited all damn week, checking every day looking for boxes. I finally pulled it up in paypal to see if there was any tracking info before I sent an e-mail asking what happened. At least your fedex guy left a slip.

Turns out the mailman never left the slip to tell me they were at the post office. That's the 2nd or 3rd time that's happened now to either me of the gf.

When I cut those, I used one of my econo jigs as a boolit clamp to hold the boolits straight, but I actually cut them with my Bridgeport. Most of the tools that I was using were 1/2" diameter, which is too big to fit in the jig. I can make a jig that will take 1/2" tools, I just didn't have one sitting around already made, so I used the tools that were at hand.

I haven't shot any of these. I just whipped them up tonight, thinking that you might like to try them. The SWC style boolit started out around 200 grains. The RNFP started out at 160. They all weight a little less now. I didn't take the time to set up anything precise. I just plunged various tools by eye to give you a variety of things to try. If you decide that you like one of them in particular, I can make up a better batch for more precise evaluation. I figured that for a first look, I'd just scratch up a few rough specimens for you to look at.

There are 4 different types of base cavities. One is from a spot drill. One is from a center drill. One is from a 1/2" ball nose end mill. One is from a 3/8" ball nose end mill. I have no idea what will work best for you. These "pellets" are just made from pistol boolits that I had laying around already made. They are around 12-13bnh. That may be a little harder than you really want for a pellet gun, but it's a place to start. The big hollow cavities should make a big difference.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Sharpshooter,
    What kind of rifle is that you have & how much does something like that cost?
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Banned

HollowPoint
    Maybe he got scared when he saw the word... GUN..

This is really interesting...

A Mold for a Hollow Base 'Hourglass' having a blunted spire nose ( at the Sprue )...should be pretty feasable to make...nose pour...

Banned

So you use an O2 tank to fill in the field? Then use a compressor to fill the tank?

If you know a fireman, they have a lot of air tanks that become obsolete for their purposes rather frequent. My buddy has given me tanks. I have a few around here.

Pat, it's an air tank, not an oxygen tank. Oxygen is a little more dangerous at that pressure, especially if there is any oil residue left in the mechanism.

The tanks that the firemen use are Scott pack tanks. I'm not sure what pressure they operative at. Scuba tanks are normally used for the refill. Scuba tanks vary in pressure rating. The most common one is 3,000psi, which is what most of the aluminum tanks are rated for. That is the one that you are supposed to use for filling these guns. Other scuba tanks can be rated for 1800, 2250, 3500, 4,500 & 5,000 PSI, but they are less common. Probably 80% of the scuba tanks out there these days are the 3,000psi aluminum tanks. 80 cubic foot (actually 77cf in reality) is by far the most common size. 50 cf is probably the second most common. There are a handful of others. The smallest 3,000cf scuba tank that is commonly available is 6cf baby pony tank.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    So you use an O2 tank to fill in the field? Then use a compressor to fill the tank?

If you know a fireman, they have a lot of air tanks that become obsolete for their purposes rather frequent. My buddy has given me tanks. I have a few around here.
    Those tanks should work with the proper adapter as long as they hydro date is still good. if it is passed, you will have to have it tested again to have it filled. I know guys with friends in a FD who get them to fill their taks for them. Some won't though.

Some guys even have their own compressors to fill, but the cost is high for a 3000psi compressor.

But just to be square, it's not a O2 tank. Pure O2 could make it a bomb. Nitrogen is good, or just plain air tanks. Paintball guys like to use nitrogen for their tanks. Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast