Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: 45 caliber Air Rifle

Boolit Master

Regarding HITS

The numbers may be slightly misleading.
    I'm very interested in the subject. I know nothing of it beyond what I'm learning here, so it would be presumptuous of me to make suggestions.
    Being an O.F't, with too much time on his hands, I "hit" the forum frequently and always look for your posts. If you both are in a conversation you may get several "hits" per day from me alone. And it must be obvious that I'm NOT the only interested viewier.
    Love it!!
    Carry on,
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Buddy
    Cool......thanks for clearing that up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post

I know you've garnered alot of useful info during your run with these Big Bore Air Rifles and it's always good when I learn something new from one of your responses but, it would be nice to hear from someone who may know something that neither one of us has heard of or learned yet.
    I too would like to see more folks involved here, as this thread has somewhat evolved into a tennis match between ourselves. I have at times been holding out on responding so as to raise the percentage of input from others (somewhere in this thread you noticed I hadn't responded recently, and wondered where I was).

Even in the small world of bigbore airguns, there aren't many people doing (or at least sharing) real-deal boolit testing.

Boolit Buddy
    Thought you all would like to see the replacement cocking lever I had machined. Looks like this one will last.......it just needs a little belt-sanding to round-out the back corners to fit the back of the hammerslot, and maybe a sleeve for the lever.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Hey Butcher:

That looks pretty cool. It's kind of shiny. Is it made out of Stainless? From the looks of the underside it appears that it was threaded onto the base and then possibly spot-welded in place to keep it from coming loose.

You can tell just by looking at it that it's way stronger than the factory version. It always gets me when an otherwise decent gun design is put on the market with just the bare minimum acceptable strength on critical components like the cocking levers on the Sam Yangs.

Hey Butcher, I got a PM from your buddy Terry informing me that he's wanting to sell his one year old Carbon Fiber Air Tank. I didn't read his PM till this morning so it may be that he's already sold the tank.

I mentioned to him in my initial reply that I had just gone out yesterday and picked up the last of the funds I was waiting for to buy the Air Tank I've had my eye on for the last few months.

I just finished a last-ditch PM just before checking this thread. I was hoping that Terry had a chance to read my reply before selling his tank to someone else. In this most recent PM to him I told him that I'd wait till tomorrow before I went ahead and ordered a Brand New CF Tank.

Hopefully he'll get back to me before then.

Once I get some of this bullet testing out of the way I plan on doing some Internal Component modification and replacement on this Sam Yang. I was looking it over the other day while I was cleaning it and noticed a few things that could be improved without making any permanent alterations to the gun itself.

I'm sure you've noticed how the hammer sort of drags along the inside of the cylinder that it fits into. I've thought about turning/milling a new hammer and using roller bearings to keep it centered in the cylinder and smoothing out its travel.

I think that, that in addition to a slightly stronger hammer spring should give me a slight increase in power without having to mess with the valve.

Do you have any pictures of the valve itself? I'd like to take a look at the valve that the hammer rams into without having to dismantle my rifle again. I have an idea that may make having to increase the diameter of the valve opening unnecessary.

As long as these air rifles have been around and do-it-yourselfer's tinkering with them, I'm sure others have contemplated the same modifications. I just don't want to do any permanent changes until I've exhausted all the easier less invasive modifications first.

Well, that's it for now. If you read this post before Terry does, maybe you can let him know that I am interested in his tank. (if he hasn't already sold it)

HollowPoint

Boolit Buddy
    My friend Terry posted his pygmy tank for sale on the Yellow Classifieds.....sold in two minutes!

A hammer-guide would be great.....the tube my hammer rides in is very rough, and has contributed to problems with hammer alignment in the past (partially due to deformed cocking levers).

I don't know whether or not I've seen/have pictures of the 909S valve. I'll see what I can find.
    Last edited by Butcher45; 10-22-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    It's been a real long while since I posted anything new on this thread.

In fact, I'd forgotten all about it until just today when I went out to test some new Paper Patched
    bullets for my K31.

I know I mentioned is several of my previous post on this specific thread that I would post results from the bullets I made up for my Sam Yang 45 caliber air rifle; and I still intend to do so.

However, here in the Arizona Desert, the weather has turned just right for doing so many of the other enjoyable outdoor things I like to do that testing these Air Gun bullets right now just seemed like a crime against nature.

There's coyotes out there waiting for me to educate them. Also, they've stopped the water flow on the lower Salt River which creates nice pools full of large mouth bass just waiting for my to wet my canoe and my fishing line over them.

In spite of that I felt compelled to add this short note of apology to those of you who may have been following this thread in anticipation of charted velocities and pictures of targets.

As already stated, I intend to do that but not at the neglect of my other guns, toys and projects. I hope you all will bare with me. With any luck at all this testing will take place before or at about the same time our Game And Fish department sees fit to change some of the statutes regarding what can or can't be legally hunted with these Big Bore Air Rifles.

As usual, your comments and suggestions are invited and hoped for.

Thanks for your patience.

HollowPoint

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011