Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Lyman's Outstanding Customer Service.

Boolit Master

Lyman's Outstanding Customer Service.

Once again, I have to give Lyman a commendation medal for their outstanding customer service.

A few months ago, I purchased a used Lyman universal decapperer die. Friday evening, while decapping a .30-30 WCF case, I bent the pin assembly. Monday morning, I called Lyman and spoke to a very pleasant lady named Janice, explained what had happened, and that the die was purchased used. She said not to worry about it and that she’d have one mailed at no cost.

Lyman, according to Janice, have a one year warranty on their products. I have no idea how old the die is.
    Last edited by 462; 07-21-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    I don't know who I spoke with when mine broke but they told me I could buy a new on for X number of dollars but that and the shipping cost more than one bought in a store.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    I have long liked Lyman's products but it seems their customer service is spotty. That said, I drink no maker's Kool-Aid, I greatly prefer Lee's Universal Decapper die over all others.

Boolit Master
    The new assembly arrived yesterday (Thursday)...shipped Tuesday...all is well.

Not knocking Lee, but once broke the pin on a sizing/decapping die and had to pay for a replacement. Broke one on an RCBS, too and received a free replacement.

Boolit Master
    I'm going to put Lyman's warranty to the test. Just sent them a 4500 lubrisizer housing that had the bottom broken out of it. The sizer was a little over 1 year old, but not used all that much. One day I sat down after running the heater for about an hour, turned the lube screw and pulled it right through the bottom of the housing. Wasn't turning it hard at all.

Pulled it apart and the countersunk bore for the screw didn't have enough metal left, was about as thin as a dime. Tightening it simply pulled the jackscrew through. Took some pics and sent the housing to Lyman. Hopefully they'll warranty the housing. As far as I'm concerned it was a problem with the workmanship. Shouldn't have been bored to deep.

Will post what happens.

TH

Boolit Master

They refused to send me one, wanted me to pay as well, with shipping it would have been about what I paid for the whole die. I pointed out in my e-mail that my Lee was working just fine, thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappy View Post
    I'm going to put Lyman's warranty to the test. Just sent them a 4500 lubrisizer housing that had the bottom broken out of it. The sizer was a little over 1 year old, but not used all that much. One day I sat down after running the heater for about an hour, turned the lube screw and pulled it right through the bottom of the housing. Wasn't turning it hard at all.

Pulled it apart and the countersunk bore for the screw didn't have enough metal left, was about as thin as a dime. Tightening it simply pulled the jackscrew through. Took some pics and sent the housing to Lyman. Hopefully they'll warranty the housing. As far as I'm concerned it was a problem with the workmanship. Shouldn't have been bored to deep.

Will post what happens.

TH
    My old lyman 450 did the same thing. I called and they said send it in. I did, paid the shipping, They sent me a letter stating I could purchase a new one as the one was not repairable. On another occasion I sent in a mold that was not aligning properly, the sprue plate was not flat on the top of the mold and was deformed near the nose where the alignment pin mated to the alignment hole. They resurfaced the top and that was it. Sent it back with a bill for the service & return shipping and didnt fix the issues. I called, and ended up sending it back again on my dime. The sent me a new mold but it was the wrong one. I sent that back and finally got the right one which I immediatly went to a guns shop and traded it for an RCBS of the same type. Never had a problem with RCBS, Saeco or LBT molds.
    Bret

Boolit Grand Master

Never had any luck with lyman customer service, never. My take on it is they sell junk and as junk, it has no warranty. I like green(2 shades) and red, but orange is just not my color, kinda ugly anywho.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Ok, I had crow tonight, I got home and a replacement decapping stem was waiting for me in the mail...

I now have to take back what I said regarding Lyman's customer service.

Boolit Buddy
    i dont get along with them at all.thay talked down to me and did not even try to help me and i was not trying to get the part free i was going to buy it.

Banned

i too have to side with the guys that have had bad experiences with them. In my opinion there customer service is the worse in the industry

Boolit Master
    Apparently we all should just be calling Janice.

Boolit Master
    I broke the de capping rod in my de capper and when I called they were going to send me a free replacement rod.I told the gal that was fine but I wanted to buy about 6 more.
    I hate to wait on a part when a job needs to be done.
    They did send me a free one also.

It has been 10 years since I needed anything from Lyman Customer service. At that time I broke the handle on my 450 sizer machine and called lyman for a replacement. They informed me there were two different thread sizes used for those handles. I didn't know which I had, so they send me both for free.

Since them, I have seen posted numerous folks who were not happy with Lyman Customer Service. It is good to get some more positive posts.

I hope that Lyman's bad spell is over and they are now back to rendering good customer service. Lyman is a grand old company and I wish it well for many generations to come.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

All my Lyman stuff works just fine, not a big consumer of their products but have enough to know they make quality stuff.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Spotty is how I would describe Lyman. Most of the time I've had good luck but occasionally I've called customer service only to talk to some nitwit who obviously doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about. All of my "Return for service" transactions have been great.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!