Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: iron or scope

Boolit Grand Master

iron or scope

which do you all prefer on your handguns
    I muck like the idea of a handgun being very portable so I prefer iron sights
    how about you ????

Boolit Master
    Crimson Trace laser grips on defensive handguns and Armson OEG red dots on hunting revolvers because of the low light capability.

Winelover

Boolit Master

at 62 years old ive been useing red dot sights for about 20 years! most of my handguns have them! if you want the most compact size that adds almost no weight or size to the handgun and doesent change the balance try tasco optima, burris fastfire, pride fowler special ops or the j point i have all 4 .ther are others out there ! the new leupold delta looks very nice it might be my next one . bob

Banned

Depends. My revolvers are primary hunting guns so they get Ultra Dots. Except my Vaquero of course. I do just as good but I need full light.
    A back up or carry gun is different then a primary hunting gun because you usually have a rifle for a primary. I gave that up and just hunt with a bow first, then revolvers. Size does not matter because it is in a shoulder holster, nothing else to carry. Even the big 10" 45-70 BFR is nothing compared to a long gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    All irons on my sideiron, so far.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

I prefer to use irons whenever I can.
    Don't really care to look "through" anything if I don't have to.

Boolit Master

Only my 14" .41 Mag TC barrel has a scope on it (Simmons 2x20) all others (pocket and service pistols) have irons. My 1911 also wears a set of CT grips.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Moderator Emeritus

I scoped a SBH and found it reduced the group size significantly @ 100 yards. Target aquisition suffered by the same amount, If I were a stand hunter I would have kept it but it was sold and replaced with a Redhawk.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I use iron, scopes, red dots, and lasers depending on the gun and situation.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Grand Master

I've used scopes on handguns for many years but they usually weren't all that handy to carry. It was alright with Contenders and sometimes a revolver if I was just handgun hunting. I stuck to iron sights as long as I could but it's cought up with me now as my sorry old eyes can't focus on the front sights unless I've got some specially made galsses on. I've probably got $1500 - 2000 invested in various types of galsses over the last few years and they work ok if I have them on. Many times I don't or I have to hold my head just right for the corrective part of the lens to be lined up. That's ok if you're plinking or shooting for fun but when hunting it is not. My favorite big game hunting revolver is a Ruger Bisley .41 with 7 1/2" barrel. I carry it in a shoulder holster and it is out of the way and rifles comfortably even with a pack frame on. I got a Weaver scope base for it and tried a couple red dot sights that I have on it and three different handgun scopes of 1.5, 2.5 and 4X.

While I was shooting ok with it the red dots or the scopes the handiness really sucked. I used the chest/cross draw holster I use for the Contender but it is in the way if I'm carrying a rifle also. I was eyeballing the Burris Fast Fire II for a while and when the reports were good I decided to get one. I put it on the Weaver base and it worked fine but was still not handy. I then found a thin Weaver base with a flat bottom and D&T'd the top strp for it. The Fast Fire now sits in front of the rear sight about as low and un obtrusive as it can get. The rear sight is still there and if the Fast Fire dies for any reason I can easily remove it and have the iron sights instantly available.

It took a little modification to the shoulder holser and the the Ruger with the Fast fire now rides as handily as it ever died. Additionally the fast Fire has improved the accuracy of me and the revolver together. The 4 moa dot only covers 1" at 25 yards and 4" at 100 yards so for big game hunting with a 100 yard self imposed limit on myself I am much more accurate than I've been with my aging eyes and iron sights alone, even with corrective lenses. I will get a couple more of the Fast Fires (Leupold has a similar one now that also looks good) fore a couple other of my handguns. I'm not sure how they would do in a belt holster but a shorter barreled (4 - 5" maybe) in a protective type holster may work. It is something I'm going to work on.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 10-17-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Iron on any handgun. I will save my scopes for rifles.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    Maybe you should read Larry's post again (slowly) about eyes!