Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: H&R Automatic Eject pistol, Anyone know about this revolver?

H&R Automatic Eject pistol, Anyone know about this revolver?

**SEE PICS BELOW**
    I came across a near mint(Looks unfired) H&R Automatic Ejecting pistol chambered in .32 S&W I believe. It looks to be that they were loaded with black powder and can anyone verify this or can it be used with smokeless powder? I would like to reload cast only for it but want to make sure what it is chambered for first. Its a 5 shot revolver Blued model with black plastic grips and the top rib is stamped "Harington & Richardson Arms Company, Worcester Mass, USA Pat. Oct. 4, 87, Apr 2, 95, Apr 2, 96."
    The grips have a square target with 5 bullet holes in it where your thumb would rest.
    There are no other markings on it anywhere, Not even the caliber.
    PS- Im also looking for a firing pin/Hammer for it and any help finding one would be appreciated. I looked on GB but no luck.
    Last edited by mikenbarb; 07-18-2010 at 09:46 AM.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

In Remebrance

I've seen several models like that. Used with good brass and sane loadings they should work fine with smokeless. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think those were BP revolvers. The patent dates refer to lockwork, cylinder design, frame design, the auto eject system, etc. Patent dates usually have little to do with the manufacturing date.

I just checked my 1940's NRA "Book of Pistols and Revolvers" and it doesn't say much. I'll see if I can remember to look in Smiths books or maybe Stebbins. Stebbins would be my best bet.

Parts? best bet is to find a parts gun.

Boolit Master
    I think Bret has it pegged. I have owned/shot quite a few of the old H&R/Iver Johnson type revolvers, always with smokeless. Keep the loads on the mild side, you will have no problems. The advice to find a parts gun is good, metallurgy wasn't the best back then, even on a higher end gun. Keeping it well lubed with a good oil does wonders for their life span. Have fun.

Boolit Buddy
    If it isn't marked with the caliber it was designed for black powder. From your description of the markings it was made between 1897-1904. Starting in 1905 they marked the caliber on the left side of the barrel and were designed for smokeless powder.

Yep, I double checked and theres no other markings. Im guessing it was never fired because theres no signs of BP residue or fouling on it anywhere. Heres a pic of the gun in question and theres a .45 case for size comparison, Its a little tiny thing.LOL.

Last edited by mikenbarb; 07-18-2010 at 09:49 AM.
    Mike B.

Boolit Master

Here is mine

Mine is a six shot( 32 S&W Long as most 6 shots are) I am told the 5 shots are 32 S& W short. Sights are terrible but points well enough for 10 yrds. I load with Universal and 90 g Lee SWC. The 32 S&W Long is close to 380 auto power in a short barrlel (about 160 fps at muzzle) Fun "vest pocket" gun.I beleive blued model where made up to 1940 although data is hard to find.I trimmed down 20 32 mag cases to make some brass.Since gun is a "break top" I use starting loads. S& W made solid frame 32 S&W long revolvers that can take higher pressures. Good articles in cast bullet sights
    Last edited by Shooter6br; 11-27-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    Look in Casting Fellows Homepage. Also Glen Fryxell articles

I have a RCBS 30-085-RN I plan on using over light charges of Bullseye or I might just load her up with black and have some smokey fun. Now I just gotts find some brass for it.
    Mike B.

Parts for that are going to be tough to find. The only thing that Numrich lists is grips - http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=8202

You should be able to find brass though. I see loaded ammo in that caliber now & then. The modern ammo is usually loaded with guns like the pocket positive in mind, so it might be a little hot for a top break. You could pull the ammo apart & get your components that way though.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

Mike,

Do you need 32 S&W brass (the shorter case no the S&W long)? I have a bunch and could send some your way. Give me a holler if you need some to get going.

YES I DO!!! PM inbound. Thanks much.
    Mike B.

Boolit Master
    Mike, this website http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/index.php is frequented by a man named Bill Goforth who is quite an expert on these -- there are many posts in the "ask the pros" section about these revolvers.

I have two 32 S&W's of the smokeless vintage, one from about 1910, one from about 1914...

neat little guns.
    Paul

Boolit Grand Master

160 fps???

I assume a typo.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    In the context of the sentence, I think he means "foot-pounds".
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Found a hammer assy for it from Numrichs. Its for an American model but it will fit with a little love and some silver solder. Its the same hammer assembly except the pin is angled different. I figure I can lightly slice the base of the pin where it meets the hammer body and bend it slightly to where its gotta go and silver solder the thin cut.
    Mike B.

Boolit Master

is the hammer acutally different or just the insert pin?Is the pin seperate and jsut inserted into a slot in the hammer like a S&W? You may be able to drift the pin out of your insert and put it in the new hammer. Just htinkingout loud if you have them both in hand.

The pin is part of the hammer assy and its all one machined piece. The firing pin was angled different. I just had to put a small slice in the pin base where it meets the hammer body and bend it down the the correct angle and silver soldered it up. I then case hardened the pin and it works great.
    I found lots of cast load data in the older Lyman manuals.
    Mike B.

Boolit Master

Mike,

You have a fun one there. It will become just as fun for you s as a 22 revolver.