Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 444 marlin brass for 410 brass shotshells

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyleee View Post
    9.3X74R and .303 Brit can both be made into some really nice .brass .410 shells.
    I have used 444 marlin brass, but it can be hard to find, I looked not long ago and couldnt find any, anywhere. Or was way over priced. 303 does make a decent but funky looking 410 shell, since the base never really expands, so has a reverse bottleneck to it. And complicates loading since the wad that fits the narrow section is way undersized for the flared section.

But the best ones so far are ones made from 9.3x74r. They fire form into a beautifully straight walled shell. Fill pretty much the entire chamber, vs the others been quite a bit short. And more room inside than you know what to do with. A full charge of lil gun, a good stack of wads cut from cardboard and plastic, theres still room for more shot than your gonna find load data for. Almost an ounce, depending on your wad stack.

I use a stack of 3 40 cal RB in them, 4 will fit if you wanted them to.

I got some of the Alliant 410 powder... Lots of folks say that it is about identical to 2400, but I aint buying it.... It looks very very similar, even with magnification, but Alliant says it is different... Looks very much the same on the burn rate chart....

I am gunna use it for the 444 brass to see if I can get these to shoot also....

AG

Boolit Buddy
    ok heres my experience with 410 reloading , a few years ago I bought a judge and wanted to reload 410 for it then later on I ended up with a stoeger 410 o-u in a trade deal , then after ending a 30+ year nicotine addiction I decided to treat myself 1 day and bought this little mossberg 410 pump I had been eyeing up for months every time the wife and I were at walmart lol .to tell the truth the Mossberg 410 ended up being my favorite shotgun I own out of the stoeger and my benelli nova . anyhow ive used 2400 and 296 for the most part 14.5 gr on each I ended up with a bunch of 4227 I cleaned out from a local shop as new old stock for 15$ a lb its also suposadly a good 410 powder but I haven't tried it in 410 yet (ive been using the hell out of it in 357 mag). for the most part I load 1/2 oz 7.5 shot or 4 pellets of my own cast 000 buck ive used win AA, rem, and chedite hulls. ive used win ,federal , and claybuster wads all with pretty much same results . now for brass hulls I have a box of magtech 410 brass hulls here ive loaded a few times with smokeless powder but have much better results with black powder . I load 27 gr (by volume) of 777 ff then compress it with an overshot card and a dow rod then 1/2 oz shot another overshot card then seal up with cheap wood glue from harbor freight . also the overshot cards I cut myself from paper plates, tissue boxes whatever I use a 7/16 gasket punch they fit nice and snug in this hull as long as there resized , if I remember right the whole set of gasket punches cost around 7$ from harbor freight . I use the same wads I would normaly use the only prob is there a bit to long I have to trim a bit off the petals with sissors before I load them .also a 45 lc die will resize these cases . some may not agree with my black powder load but it shoots great and ive never had a prob with it, other than smoking up the range when clay pigeon shooting . now for the herco im glad I read this post a couple years ago I was shopping at a lgs going out of business all inventory was 70% off I took a gamble and ended up buying 7 lb of herco even though I never used it before . over the past few years ive been using it in 357 mag revolver and carbine loads and in 35 rem lead bullet loads but I still have 4 lb of it here to use up ,I was gonna try it in my 12 gauge loads but now i'll definatly try it for 410 it would be great to have 1 powder that would work in both 12 and 410. as for o/p saying a mec 600 jr to expensive yea I feel ya I bit the bullet and bought a new 1 for 410 and was using a lee load all for 12 gauge then a month or so later an ageing relative who don't shoot much or reload anymore gave me his mec 600 jr 12 gauge loader plus 2 boxes of AA wads 10 lb shot , powder ,hulls , ect,ect. so now ive got a mec for each gauge . in my opinion 410 is NOT a good youth or inexperienced shooter gun , it is in the low recoil sense but its a lot harder to hit anything with a 410 in my opinion because it has so much less shot that a 12 gauge . I like them for clay pigeons I go back and forth from my benelli nova 12 to 1 or both of my 410s just playing around having fun . people don't have to agree with my opinion on the 410 its just my opinion . sorry this post ended up being a lot more long winded than I intended .

Boolit Master
    Hi there. Not wanting to start a new thread for this, I'd like to know if anyone still has the 2nd part of the Handloader article (#267, August/2010) and can scan and post/send it to me?

As for loading cheaper .410 brass shotshells, for children training or snake shooting, you can use 5-6gr of any fast powder (eg W231, etc), an overpowder wad, 5/16 to 3/8oz of shot, over shot card, white glue. I've been shooting this in a Judge with good results.

There are some recipes of the kind in the Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading (1937, pp. 296-299), shot loads for revolvers.

Thanks in advance.

Necro Thread time:

Having recently acquired a .410, for the purpose of shooting at skeets, I too am finding the price of shot shells a might bit on the spendy side.

I've embarked on reloading Win AA hulls with homemade tools.
    An emptied .45 Colt die does a nice job of resizing.
    A specially ground punch knocks out the old primer. I set the shell on a piece of delrin that I fashioned to hold the shell centered over a through hole, so the primer has a place to go.
    A Dewalt bit holder, stripped of it's outer sleeve, allows me to seat a primer.

That's as far as I've gotten. I've got 500 Claybuster wads and 25#s of shot coming from Cabela's next week.

I also picked up a dozen cartridge cases .444 at the range today. Two cycled through my 500E just fine.

The information in this thread will help me put those to good use.

Thank's y'all.

Glad I found this thread. I'm trying to use my standard center fire reloading equipment as much as possible to reload the 410. I will be using plastic hulls. First order of business is to modify a shell holder and make a special push rod to seat the primer. Had one go off with the hammer method. Not fun.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master

Here's what I use to seat primers. Find, make, get a washer or bushing that is a slip fit for the hull but won't let the rim through. Insert decapped hull in said washer/bushing and place the washer against the bottom of the threaded part of your press with the primer hole down. Use anything flat on top of the ram to push the primer in. Easier to do than to explain. I use a pushrod from a Lee 45 cal push thru bullet sizing die and or a homemade pusher thingy made from a bolt epoxyed in a 410 shell head. Using the 410 shell head pusher thingy I don't have to change shell holders. If I haven't explained this well enough let me know and I'll go to the barn and try to get some photos.

I also resize essentially the same way using a MEC size die (just the ring only). I upgraded from my homemade washer resizer.

Regards, Woody

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	410 loader 009.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	208209
    Last edited by woody1; 11-21-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: add photo
    Take a kid along

You run the hull body up through the threads where the die would normally go ... right?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    You run the hull body up through the threads where the die would normally go ... right?
    Correct, from the bottom and centered or close in the die hole. The washer/bushing or resizer keeps it from touching anything but the bottom of the hole. The same as if you were using a Lee Push Thru bullet sizer except there's no die.

I found this photo. If I can get it posted here, it shows the "push up" deal for either a resizer using homemade washer OR the washer/bushing deal holding the hull for priming. I'm just using a large washer for the flat on the ram to do the pushing.

Name:	loading 410 004.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	208228
    Last edited by woody1; 11-21-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: add photo
    Take a kid along

Thanks for the tip. I tried your method, it worked a lot better than using a hammer but I want a bit more control and consistency. I also found that removing the innards from a Lee Rifle Charging Die centered the hull in the die and allowed the washer to mate to a flat surface. I think it would work better if the washer were 1/4" thick or thicker.

I will get my parts this coming weekend and I will try and post a pic if I am successful.

I am very happy to find this thread. I have been using .444 Marlin brass in a rolling block someone rebored to .410. Needless to say I was very puzzled by the hour glass shape some of my extracted shells had. These 3 were shortened for easier extraction, but they still inexplicably hour glassed. It is good to see other people have had the same experience with .444 Marlin brass in a .410 chamber.

Name:	chamber.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	235819

Boolit Master

superc, I don't think the problem is with the 444's if the chamber is the correct size. Have you measured the chamber diameter and compared it to the correct chamber? Just looking at the photo it appears to me that the chamber is larger than the 444's. If so that would cause the brass to attempt to swell to chamber size but as it gets thicker toward the head and as pressure reduces,the brass will only swell so far down. whew, does that make sense? I've had similar results when blowing out brass and I didn't use a sufficient charge to get the pressure up enough.
    Take a kid along

Cool little kit here for reloading 410 shells.
    https://fromthetrenchesworldreport.c...ding-kit/60500

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123