Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Load Data Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post of the month.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    And never forget the oppertunity to be able to readily shoot any caliber that you come across.
    Last time up north there I fired hundreds of 50-95 rounds. Last time I looked it would have cost me a stagering $88 per 20 round if store bought.
    But I bought 50 peices of 50-95 brass for $76 shipped. Already had a 350 grain .515 mold, primers, 3F and 5744.... So figure 300 rounds at $88 per 20 would come to $1320. I recon I could have resold the brass so lets say $1000 to fire 300 rounds. Cost me $680 + $25 shipping for the rifle. $76 for the brass. Another $43 for the dies. I figure I was spending a whopping 30 cents to reload a round. So lets say $100 for 300 rounds. That brings me to $848 rifle included.
    So I have saved $152 over the cost of just buying 300 rounds of 50-95 ammo. Plus I have a fine and fun shooting 1876 replica to boot.
    Why with that $152 of savings I bought the 515450 hallow base NOE mold and still had about $25 left over to fund reloading those 50 pieces of brass 3x each. And when we again compare my reloading costs to what 150 rounds of store bought 50-95 would be why I have another pocket full of cash or about 300 one dollar bills.
    To bad those $300 dollars do not materialise from thin air though. Like my wife keeps pointing out.. Just how are you saving money when all you do is spend it ? My response is.. Just wait until I start selling all these fine investment items off. You'll see !
    The only hope I can see though is to never buy any firearm that requires another different mold. Stick to the calibers I have... Unless of course a 40-60 or a 22 Hornet lands smack dab in my lap !
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Funny, I just mentioned today on a different thread about a 444 rifle just landed in my lap. Isn't it awesome how our Father does things like this for His kids ?

Boolit Buddy
    Well the .500 S$W got me into casting. Been reloading since I was in Jr. High. The amount of equipment I have bought since I started this, well I'm not even going to try an figure out. I'd be ashamed. All the molds for all the calibers. One for each hasn't been enough. Plus started out with the Lee sizers and that ebay place had a Star at a very good price. You'd think that would be good enough. Well a little latter they sold me a RCBS sizer at a good price. Haven't even used the Star yet. Three casting pots, one for smelting, one for dipping an another for bottom pour. Have a Rockcrusher for many yrs, added a Lee hand press for the range a little latter, then that Dillon place comes out with the 450. Well had to have that one, surprised I haven't worn that one out. Then I figure I could save some time with a 550 an the quick change plates. It does that an then some. Well I figured out that the 450 would look very nice as a 550. So off it went back to Dillon for an upgrade. now the reloading equipment isn't an issue as I have been doing it for along time. Save some money, maybe. I do try to shoot as much as I can an have since being 11. The casting is another deal all together. Finding this place with all the help has made me into a better reloader. I just wish I had read a lot more before the casting. For an example, I cast about 40 lbs. of .500 S&W. Couldn't figure out why the barrel was leading up so bad. I made my own lube (Felix lube, thanks to y'all), got some tips on charges. But I hadn't read about sizing my bore an my chambers yet. Dog gone it. Man o man, that hurt. So I had a friend hone out the chambers on that .500. Next will be an LBT in the correct dia. The great thing about casting is it has made my handguns come to life on paper with much tighter groups. The pride that I made these little darlings myself is worth more then the money spent. When friends an people I meet at the range an gun store find out I cast my own, they want to know how. I just write out this address an direct them here. I'm still learning an y'all know what is what. But I tell them to read, read an read a lot more. LBTs book an the reloading books are great, but it's here that you get all the answers to the questions the books leave you with. I'm just saying Thanks. Save money casting, Not if your having fun with it you won't!

Quote Originally Posted by Usafrox View Post
    I'm always afraid to tell my wife just how much money I'm "saving" in this new hobby of mine.

Actually, the part that is most meaningful for me is the independence of reloading and casting.
    I have just re-entered the world of shooting, down here in AU its not quite as prolific as the USA but there are a lot of us. Back in march this year I told the wife I was going to take up pistol shooting. She looked at me over her glasses, yes dear she says.
    3 months later I take possession of a nice shiney new Beretta 92fs inox. She looks at the pics of it (gun is stored at club armoury for now), she asked how much did that cost, I tell her, expecting Mt Versuvious type reaction, nothing! she raises eyebrow and walks off. several weeks pass, she finds me hunched over a propane stove with her brand new muffin tin and all these shiney ingots cooling on the concrete, says nothing. Hmmmmm starting to wonder if this woman is really my wife at this point.
    She comes with to the range one day and looks around. Used the excuse would be nice to take dogs out for a ride. 6 weeks ago, she says, I might join the club too, I wont buy a gun just get licenced so I can use yours when you not home if I need too, hell I agree to that, not wanting to rock the boat. Now, last night I am surfing away on the net, she is on her PC in the other corner, next min she slides a printout in front of me, that's the one I want, it looks nice. I turn the printout over, puzzled what she is talking about, There is a picture of a Colt 1911 in stainless 9mm for $1580. I just smile inside and say sure hon, anything you want. Even after 34 years she still surprises me sometimes...

Boolit Grand Master

I think her trial period is over. Just keep her. Does she have a single sister?

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I think her trial period is over. Just keep her. Does she have a single sister?
    Sorry MM, even the talents of MiHec could not reproduce the mold she was made from.
    Now she tells me she IS going this Saturday morning to do the tryouts that the club runs for the public that want to see if its a sport for them. For $20 they get muffs and glasses 50rnds of .22lr and a individual RO. They then get to use a Buckmaster under instruction.
    I personally love standing to one side and watching these classes, always being ready to duck and run.
    Anyway I hope she likes it, it will make my life sooooo much easier. I especially like her statement "Well that's good!" when I told her reloading is much cheaper than buying factory ammo.

Boolit Master

Man, you definitely found a good one! Just after I got married, and the ink was drying on the contract, the wife tells me that she wants me to get rid of the guns, as she doesn't feel good about having guns in the house. After I got done laughing, I told her she's just going to have to get used to them, cuz they ain't going anywhere. A couple of years later, she finally told me that I can't have any more guns - until I buy her a 9mm. Yup, I taught her well!

Quote Originally Posted by NMLRA Guy View Post
    Momma told me a MANY years ago about her friend. Her friend was given a rather nice but plain hat pin. Well, a hat pin is useless without a hat, so she shopped for a hat. Once in hand, she needed a pair of shoes to go with the hat. Then a cute dress was on sale that went rather exactly with the hat. When last heard from, her friend had not finished adding up the cost of that free hat pin. I usta think that was a funny story 'til I got to looking at this post and looking in the mirror!
    You got that exactly right, but it is a fun addiction!

Boolit Buddy
    If you think reloading is an expensive path to go down - remember when you saw that pretty girl and you offered to buy her a drink and talk a bit. Look at how far that went, can't call that a hobby.

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    If you think reloading is an expensive path to go down - remember when you saw that pretty girl and you offered to buy her a drink and talk a bit. Look at how far that went, can't call that a hobby.

Paul in WNY
    Lol ain't that the truth.

Smile

[QUOTE= Picking up ww out of parking lots while my wife looks at me like I am a nut. t t That made me chuckle, relating to that big time, when I read your post about picking up the wheel weights and your wife looking at you thinking. Yesterday my son had to go to the bank so I told him that I would go too and while he was taking care of his business, I walked 2 of the four corners of this big intersection by the bank and found a ww that is 2.5oz. and another one 1.4oz. and not that it's a productive way to get lead, but when I walked back to the bank my son is standing there and I could see him shaking his head smiling and he said "All the money you spend on your hobby and you look for those little pieces of lead" and joking around with me . I just figure that when I find a large ww like that it will cast 4 bullets and I'll have more ! I actually enjoy that ! I don't know why. I guess because the lead is just laying there.

Boolit Grand Master

My son and I used to ride the cycle to the flea market (27mi ea way) as an excuse to stop at each intersection on I 40. We usually netted 3-10 lbs each trip and got exercise and a chance to enjoy riding together.
    Folks have always thought I was a little wacky, but I think nothing of stopping on the way to church to pick up stray weights.

let me know what river and where to look for the one you toss in.

Boolit Buddy
    Those strange things do happen. Had a Martini action 297/230 follow me home last Friday. Think I'll feed it and maybe it will stick around.

Teach your sons to reload and make custom ammo and they will never have money for drugs, alcohol, etc...

Reloading and casting has become my favorite hobby

Boolit Man
    jebb45...........I started reloading for my shooting back in 1959. with all the caliber up to know, some 60 different (rifle,shotgun,pistol)I have saved a lot of money......but everyone looks at it different. I started out with a 222 Remington, factory shells were 14.95 for 20. I was loading 20 rounds for right at $4.00 for 20.now I figured out if I would take the $10.00 a box I was saving and put it away, in time I would have enough to buy a new pistol or rifle.................Well I have saved so much money from reloading, I just bought my 4th Cannon safe to keep all my saving in....and I am still reloading, just finished reloading 1000 rounds of 357 magnum..........I am still saving money and adding to my stock at the same time................if I can't buy what I want, I have a Gunsmith that will build what I want....just finished having a 458 American (458x 2 inch).......you can't buy that ammo at Walmart.......cost me right $14.00 for 20 rounds, but I am still saving money and can shoot 2-3 times more than the average shooter......my trips to the range is not 4-6 shots per rifle, its 50-80 rounds per rifle and pistol.........but I am still saving money..................jm2cents.........

Boolit Master

I will be turning 76 in a few months and I am thinking about taking that final dirt nap. So I am drafting up my last will and testament etc. That sober realization turns into what will happen to all my firearms and casting/reloading equipment. My inheritor knows diddly squat about the values of these items and will be forced to sell them off for pennies instead of dollars unless she has the correct values of it all.

I used to have a shooting buddy here in Las Vegas and I intended to make him the administrator of all the firearms and related equipments for my wife and he agreed to do this if his fee was to be my beloved M1 Garand. All was well but then he moved away to Idaho. We have had little contact since.

Another buddy was also a candidate for this but he moved away to SW Washington some 2 days drive away. So both of them are out of the picture. So many of my friends have passed on or moved away I have a serious deficit of candidates for this task. I need to find someone here in Las Vegas who is worthy of this task and whom I can trust not to screw the pooch or my wife in the bargain.

Life is sure complicated as all get out ain't it. The only 3 things I learned once I hit 75 was:

A-Never pass up an opportunity to use the rest room.
    B-Never waste an erection.
    C-Never trust that the fart you have building up will not have lumps in it.

With those final thoughts I will take my leave and say goodbye.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master

Crash, you and I are leaving the same footprints, just in different mud. Lifes reality is that the older we are, the closer to the end we get. Its a shame that we that are blessed with age are loosing friends, and facing the fate of disposing of what we have accumulated.
    I too have a fellow reloader who has agreed to help my inexperienced family divest the tools and supplies I so cherish. Only time will spell out the fate of our collections, but the good news is that we will no longer care.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Many of us are in the same position of what to do with weapons once we are gone. Only thing I suggest is make a list of what they are worth and what offer to take. They can collect dust until that offer is made. Same with reloading equipment and supplies. Make darn sure that list is made available to someone(s) for safe keeping.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast