Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersRepackboxPBcastco
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post of the month.

Boolit Master
    When I think of all of the casting, loading, lube making, and shooting stuff I've accumulated in the past few years, I'm amazed! All because I made a spreadsheet that showed me how much I would save by loading my own .38's and .40's Latest gear is for my 45-70, latest mold for it is for 420 grain boolits.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    A reflection to the OP,,,, one can take solice in the fact, by remembering,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    no matter how bad it seems, it could always be worse!!!
    Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Yep,,,I've saved so much, I have to eat Romen Noodles at least twice a day, to keep up my strength for casting.
    Now that the GB for 45-70 brass is in my hands, I too am casting those big ones.

I may actually have saved some money on reloading and casting. It's a matter of letting people know about your strange hobby. A friend who worked at one of the dams in Montana called me to say they had rewired a bunch of the site and replaced the underground wiring. Turns out the old wiring was enclosed in lead conduits. I got about 500 pounds there. Later, a guy calls me up to say he has a cubic foot of soft lead and did I want it. About another 500 pounds there. The local tire center call me whenever their ten gallon bucket gets full of wheelweights. A small local paper even called to say they were getting rid of their linotype machine and did I want the type. couple hundred pounds there. My pllumber calls when he gets lead pipe out of a job.
    So, I'm fixed for casting into the 23rd century.
    Had to go to a twenty pound pot when I started reloading for the 577 Nitro (750 gr.). Lucky I did becuase I was just given a three pounder Dalgren rifle from the Civil War by an archeologist buddy who retired. I even inherited a round ball mold with it. (8 oz. apiece)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kamasutr.../2/zxgcBKbBb2w
    I just need to do a lot more shooting and get a few more guns before I save so much that the IRS audits me.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mooko View Post
    I may actually have saved some money on reloading and casting. It's a matter of letting people know about your strange hobby. A friend who worked at one of the dams in Montana called me to say they had rewired a bunch of the site and replaced the underground wiring. Turns out the old wiring was enclosed in lead conduits. I got about 500 pounds there. Later, a guy calls me up to say he has a cubic foot of soft lead and did I want it. About another 500 pounds there. The local tire center call me whenever their ten gallon bucket gets full of wheelweights. A small local paper even called to say they were getting rid of their linotype machine and did I want the type. couple hundred pounds there. My pllumber calls when he gets lead pipe out of a job.
    Had to go to a twenty pound pot when I started reloading for the 577 Nitro (750 gr.). Lucky I did becuase I was just given a three pounder Dalgren rifle from the Civil War by an archeologist buddy who retired. I even inherited a round ball mold with it. (8 oz. apiece)
    I just need to do a lot more shooting and get a few more guns before I save so much that the IRS audits me.
    If you are saving money doing this, you are doing something wrong!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Years ago, I was attended a home owners association at one of the board members homes. During the meeting we could hear a constant hammering sound from upstairs. The lady was embarrassed by the noise and stated her husband was reloading ammo for his hunting trip the next day. After the meeting I went upstairs and talked to him. He was using a Lee loader for 30-06. He stated he was reloading to save money. I told him that if got tired of beating on that Lee loader, that he could come over to my house and use my Rockchucker. He indicated that he was fine with his Lee, and he was just saving money and did not need anything more complicated. About 1 month later he called and asked if he could see my setup. It turns out he got one of his neck sized rounds stuck in his rifle. He came over and used my setup to reload a couple of boxes. He was impressed by the ease of resizing and the fact that his ammo fit nicely in his rifle. A few weeks later he bought his own Rockchucker. Then I took him out to the local range and we had great day shooting. I talked to him afterwards and he stated that he usually shot less than 20 rds per year. He normally just sighted in his rifle and fired a few rounds hunting. Well he joined the gun club and became a regular. A few months later at a home owners assoc meeting his wife approached me and let me know that I was a bad influence on her husband. She tolerated his Lee loader because it saved money, but since I had talked to her husband he had spent over a $1000 with his new hobby. Then he ran into a couple of friends at the range who were bench rest shooters, and his hobby took a very expensive turn. Before it was over his wife would hardly talked to me. I told her that her husband would be spending twice as much money if he didn't reload.

G

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by mooko View Post
    Man, I hope that's NOT your group around that cannon. I'm not criticizing/being a jerk, just pointing out several obvious safety problems:

One knowledgable person loads the gun.....always. No chit chat, no distractions. Too many cooks..........

Keep sightseers behind the gun......WAY behind it. A premature discharge from a spark could have badly injured several people.

Is that pickup actually that close, or is it just the camera angle? The concussion could easily dent the vehicle.

Finally, that's a cannon ball. What's behind those trees downrange...a house? Road? People? There was a highly publicized case a few years ago where a muzzle loading cannon shot a ball right through the neighbor's house, because the gunner "didn't think it would go that far.....".

I like the gun carriage, straightforward and highway towable. Bet it raises a few eyebrows on the road!
    Last edited by 3006guns; 11-13-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Momma told me a MANY years ago about her friend. Her friend was given a rather nice but plain hat pin. Well, a hat pin is useless without a hat, so she shopped for a hat. Once in hand, she needed a pair of shoes to go with the hat. Then a cute dress was on sale that went rather exactly with the hat. When last heard from, her friend had not finished adding up the cost of that free hat pin. I usta think that was a funny story 'til I got to looking at this post and looking in the mirror!

LOL

If anyone told me they were getting into reloading to save money I would tell them I'd do them a favor and save them money: I'd ask them to hand me about half of what they think they might spend on reloading gear. I'd then give them a swift kick in the babymaker and send them on their way. (Unless of course they are REALLY disciplined about their spending.) I say this in jest, really, I encourage my buddies to get into it all the time despite the costs.

Best buy for me was the Lee 50th Anniversary kit. $100. With this and a few other things, people CAN start reloading. It's just, after using the cheaper stuff, you look at the other goodies that make life easier on you and you go "OOO I WANT" :-p Examples- Lee kit came with priming system built into the press. Downside, slow. I bought an RCBS hand primer for 50$ and boy that thing really throws the primers into some brass. The scale/balance works very very accurately and I find very reliable...Again, slow. Electric? 40$. The whole single stage setup is great, and I still use it for my rifle rounds/small batches/ammo that I REALLY wanna make sure is accurate- but I eventually broke down and bought a progressive to crank out the handgun ammo. Sorting cases when all sorts of different calibers is very time consuming (especially when you buy it by the pound from a range)...By hand- Free. 30-40$ will get you a sorting setup (kinda looks like a gold panning system).

On the upside- It used to take me something like (when I began) an hour to do ALL of the processes necessary to start from the beginning and make maybe, oh, 100 cartridges ready to rock, often more. Now with all my goodies, not even half that.
    I believe you...but my Tommy gun don't.

Boolit Grand Master

Well with all the empty shelves where ammo used to be, and the new prices, we really might save money.

Boolit Master

Well for me it's a matter of independence. Having ammo is like having air to breathe. Ya don't miss it til its gone.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

i am working on saving more money

Boolit Master

If this was only about the money, we should have quit digging in this hole a long time ago. I think most of us agree we started because of the lure of saving some cash, or to shoot more. Now, for me, it is a matter of pride in making my own ammo, being relatively safe from a short term (less than a couple of years) shortage of components, and keeping up my skill (at least in my mind). Turns out some of this stuff I have collected actually has some value to others. Most of the valuable stuff is in the form of information/ knowledge. Too bad we can't cash that in for lead or components.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Master

As I looked over this thread I found an earlier post of mine herein. At that time I had 22 weapons. Today I have over 27 but I lost count somewhere along the way.

My latest purchase is a Dillon XL650 with all the bells and whistles. I decided that was gonna be my dedicated 9 MM progressive press. My Dillon 550B was gonna work with the .41 Magnum, .44 Special, 7.62x39MM, .223 Rem and .38 Special/357 Magnum calibres. I have been using a Dillon SQuare DEal Press for .45 ACP's but I also have a spare (again with all bells and whisles) that I intended to use just for 9 MM's until I bought the XL650.

Noting the state of this country's economy and the unbelieveable lack of concern by Congress and our Executive branch in attempting to balance the budget I decided to invest in Gold. I had a recent influx of cash which I was going to invest.

Then I got to thinking: What would be more valuable than Gold in a WTSHTF scenario? Guns and ammo...especially Hi-Capacity 9 MM's and common ammo. What is more common than 9 MM and .38 Specials? Ergo I am stockpiling Sig Sauer SP 2022's in 9 MM and so far I have 6 of them. Along with those I bought another ten 17 rd magazines and 100,000 WSP primers and 80 lbs of Unique powder. I presently have 3 stockpiles of lead ingots and unprocessed range lead. The ingots amount to 2 cubic yards of smelted ingots (3'x3'x6' solid pile) and a dozen 5 gallon buckets of range lead. The lead has been washed with a high pressure sprayer and the rocks have been separated from the lead. They just need to be smelted when I find the time.

Now my problem is where to hide all this stuff? And wow am I saving money!

I figure I can make and stockpile enuf 9 MM and .38's to ensure a very good barter position for when the Dollar crashes and this country really falls down the sewer pipes. Ya can't eat Gold but with a weapon you can protect what you love and keep what you have.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    I think I might have saved money... I have a Dillion Square Deal, RCBS single stage, Lyman Spar-T, Lyman case turner, Lyman scale, RCBS powder measure, all the other various basics, about a dozen die sets (mostly RCBS, a few Lee) and three caliber kits for the Dillon...

I only bought the four Lee die sets, the rest were given to me for free by some friends who were getting out of the hobby and were happy to see someone continue the legacy. I did offer money, but it was refused.

Oh, I did buy my Lee pot and my Lee molds though too.

Boolit Grand Master

Well this thread brings back alot of memories and Happy times. I have started several out reloading and one of the things I tell them is to get the wife/girlfriend and famly involved also. We shot high power rifle for years wife did prep work one Daughter chamfered another daughter did primer pockets son cleaned and inspected. I loaded. We all shot at one level or another. One friend s wife asked me to coach her and we would go to the local range and then dinner afterwards. Was a blast. She was always glad she got started shooting with her husband and us. Most dont think to involve the wife with them so this becomes a big dark secret to them, that they dont understand. My wife never got upset when I bought equipment or a firearm only when I didnt buy her what she wanted in a new firearm. LOL. She was an expert in high power rifle when she was killed. But we always shot loaded and competed as a family and really enjoyed the sport and company.

Boolit Mold
    [QUOTE=Crash Corrigan;2093542]
    "Noting the state of this country's economy and the unbelieveable lack of concern by Congress and our Executive branch in attempting to balance the budget I decided to invest in Gold. I had a recent influx of cash which I was going to invest."

Precious metals seems like a good investment....brass & lead.

Boolit Master

I'm always afraid to tell my wife just how much money I'm "saving" in this new hobby of mine.

Actually, the part that is most meaningful for me is the independence of reloading and casting.

Boolit Grand Master

It is saving me money, just not the kind you can deposit in the bank. Just like any business, there is equipment and inventory. So far no politician has decided to tax what we have.
    Lets see, 5 presses, 3 sizers, 4 casting furnaces, tons of lead, dozens of moulds, and the list is just starting.
    Primers, Brass, Powder, Guns, Pistols, you can see where this is going.
    It would bankrupt me to start over.
    Much of what I have accumulated in the last 60 years is because of, or directly related to, the reloading savings. Besides, while our culture cried about shortages and gouging, I shoot right on.

Boolit Master
    Crash
    If you worried about someone stealing your lead, just melt it into one big ingot. Two cu yards of lead has to be heavy enough to discourage all but the most dedicated thieves.

G

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast