Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
PBcastcoRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post of the month.

Boolit Bub

Post of the month.

The price of those big shells was exactly the reason I decided to start reloading brass cartridges.

So I bought my first press and then dies, then scales, then priming tools, then dippers, then started buying brass and powder and primers and bullets, and then another press.

So I found out how much fun that monster was to shoot with light loads at which point I became aware that I could do practically anything with it if I had the right equipment.

The price of bullets lead to casting which lead to multiple molds, buying wheel weights, buying linotype, buying pure pb, buying ladles, buying an electric casting furnace. Picking up ww out of parking lots while my wife looks at me like I am a nut.

I almost forgot the Lee push through sizers, but I did not care for them, so then came the lubrisizer with all the different dies.

Then I added a rifle caliber which lead to the cycle repeating, then I added another rifle caliber, then another pistol caliber, then another pistol caliber. All of those had to have their own powder, dies, primers, bullets, brass, and molds.

And now I am on the list for the 700 grain 500 S&W group buy... like anyone actually NEEDS a 700 grain boolit with a hollowpoint so big that a small child could fall into it!

ALL THIS because I bought one gun!!

Not to scare you, but you would be better off to throw that gun in the river.

With all that said, have fun and enjoy the trip.

Look at what you're saving.
    And I bet you typed that with a straight face...

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Damn that's funny!
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Look at it this way.......

Anything over an ounce and a quarter in weight is considered an ingot.

So you are now a member of the ingot shooters fraternity.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Moderator Emeritus
    At an ounce and a quarter per shot I hope he has recovery rights to his projies from the berm. Plus anything else that is handy.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    My stomach hurts from laughing so hard.

In Remembrance

Talking ?????????

What's to laugh at?? Why the fuss?? <Humph!!> Seems perfectly straightforwardly normal to me! A logical progression we have all traversed. Welcome, 2cool!!
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    Still waiting for reloading to save me money. Seriously, that single-stage press was the best money I ever spent, I get so much enjoyment out of it. And I would not be shooting anything but .38 Special and 9mm if I did not reload. No .357 Sig, no .44 Special, no .327 Federal, no .41 magnum, no .32 ACP. I only wish I had started 30 years ago!

Post pics of that .500 hollow-point if you get a chance.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Grand Master

I have had to buy quiet a few guns to fit the boolits I cast. Does this vicious circle ever end.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
    At an ounce and a quarter per shot I hope he has recovery rights to his projies from the berm...
    Easy to find at the bottom of the impact crater...

Boolit Grand Master

That ain't funny. I can attest to all of that story.
    I've saved so much money,,,, I'm broke.
    The USPS delivers my mail addressed to Bakers Poor House.
    Last month I saved money on 3 molds and over 200lbs of lead pipe to go with the 2 more molds, I have on order. Thats all to cast for the .41 mag Ruger I bought with all the savings.
    Now where can I save money on brass to load for it??
    Sure glad I'm retired so I have more time to devote to saving all that money.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Sure glad I'm retired so I have more time to devote to saving all that money.
    Nothing like having a hobby to unfix living on a fixed income.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by twocool4u View Post
    Tie a line to it first, use it for a trotline weight, might supplement your diet...

Boolit Mold

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by twocool4u View Post
    The price of those big shells was exactly the reason I decided to start reloading brass cartridges.

So I bought my first press and then dies, then scales, then priming tools, then dippers, then started buying brass and powder and primers and bullets, and then another press.

So I found out how much fun that monster was to shoot with light loads at which point I became aware that I could do practically anything with it if I had the right equipment.

The price of bullets lead to casting which lead to multiple molds, buying wheel weights, buying linotype, buying pure pb, buying ladles, buying an electric casting furnace. Picking up ww out of parking lots while my wife looks at me like I am a nut.

I almost forgot the Lee push through sizers, but I did not care for them, so then came the lubrisizer with all the different dies.

Then I added a rifle caliber which lead to the cycle repeating, then I added another rifle caliber, then another pistol caliber, then another pistol caliber. All of those had to have their own powder, dies, primers, bullets, brass, and molds.

And now I am on the list for the 700 grain 500 S&W group buy... like anyone actually NEEDS a 700 grain boolit with a hollowpoint so big that a small child could fall into it!

ALL THIS because I bought one gun!!

With all that said, have fun and enjoy the trip.

And I bet you typed that with a straight face...
    SHHHHH!!!!,(covers screen with hands) don't say that in public!My wife still thinks this is a limited interest just to save money!

Boolit Master

I save reloading save more casting some day maybe I will save enough to buy a gun!!!
    All puns aside I could not afford to shoot my Sharps 50-3 1/4 if I bought ammo and then there is the .351 Winchester Self Load, 357-44 Brain and Davis, .221 fireball, .256 Winchester Mag, 45-70 with a .461 bore without reloading I could not shoot some of these at all.

And I would bet twocool4u scuba dives what do you think?

Boolit Mold
    Heck I've been saving money like this for over 40 years. And it works. Six years ago I decided I wanted a motorcycle. I hadn't worked in over a year so I sold some shotguns. Went and bought a new 1300 honda and have put close to 40000 miles on it so far. I paid cash for the bike and bought acc. for it and paid off a credit card and also paid off my 4 wheeler. After selling the shotguns I still had 10 left just shotguns so I really didn't need them all. We all could do with fewer guns than we have but it sure is fun to get another one every so often. I don't want them all just the ones I don't have.

Boolit Master

I started out with a pair of .38 revolvers for which I was tired of paying big bucks for ammo. I spend about a grand for pretty much everything I needed to smelt, mold and assemble good ammo for these guns.

Over the years I kept on buying better and more effficient tools, dies, molds and assorted sundries so I could save more money.

Then I started to buy more guns in different calibers. I am up to 22 now. All of these needed their own set of molds, dies and supporting cast of thousands of cartridge cases and such. But I am saving money.

Now I live in a small tin trailer in a Seniors Only trailer park and I am still going the range 2 or 3 times a week and reloading like mad in my living room. It is packed with gun related equipment. So is the kitchen. I even have a commercial shelf unit in the the bedroom that is 48" long and taller than me. It is loaded with primers and other reloading gear.

I keep on telling myself that I am saving money. I also fell into the black art of the Holy Black with a 50-90 Sharps rifle for which I make and shoot 695 grain boolits. I need to make a boolit trap to recover my lead to save more money.

It is like a disease for which there is no cure. I am saving so much money....but where is it?
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Reload to save money may work for some but not me I have to have more stuff then needed so my cost is always more then what I save. BUT I enjoy casting reloading swaging and even the boring stuff like prepping brass and cleaning it. I come home wifes at work TV is a waste most of the time I go to shop and tinker with my reloading stuff. I have more ammo loaded then I shoot in my life and still adding to it. Several hundreds of lbs of bullets cast and sitting in cans. Now I am hooked on swagging I have a few K swagged up and only shot about 50 of them so far but as soon as i get the rest of that 5 gal bucket of annealed brass turned into projectiles and loaded maybe I have time to shoot. Unless I get some more molds or dies for swagging in. So with out rambling on more it comes down to are you enjoying yourself I sure enjoy it.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

My buddy cliff, next door sold me his single stage rock crusher and MEC reloader with dies and shells and brass and wads...etc for $300. I thought this was great, I could really save some money loading for the shotguns, .45, .357, .44 right? Then i start loading for the rifles... Fine. Then I move to Orygun. I ask my buddy to bring 500 .45acp fmj up when he comes to visit. "oh, you should get into casting," he says, "you'll save money!" Yeah,... so he sends me an old dipping pot and a beat up .45 lee single cav and I'm off. "Saving money" Had to get a lee sizing kit right? sure. well that wasn't good enough so I had to have the Lyman 4500. OK fine. The lee mold? I don't think so. Went with a Mihec 452-200. Have 2 of those now and 7 other Mihec molds to load for everything I own. The Lyman 4500? Please! Had to have a Star,...with the air lube and the boolit feeder too. Thank you Lathesmith! How many dies did I get? Oh, That old RCBS Rock Crusher? Yeah. Sure. It is mounted right next to that Dillon 550 that looks so cool on my loading bench. Saving money? You bet, I sold over half my collection of firearms to finance the reloading project. I have over a ton of lead. Folgers plastic coffee containers full of more cast boolits than I will probably ever be able to shoot. Enough powder to Shoot the guns on the USS New Jersey at least twice, and a primer shortage. (you can never have enough primers) Would I do it all again? YES. Am I saving money? WHO CARES!
    Man am I going to leave a lot of cool stuff for my kids when I die, I just hope they don't have to have to be in possesion of a HAZ-MAT license to move it out of here...Haha
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulltipper View Post
    ...Enough powder to Shoot the guns on the USS New Jersey at least twice,...
    Don't know if my tears are from sympathy for the addiction, or just laughing so hard!

Boolit Grand Master

My Daughter ask if I could inventory and price everything, just in case.
    My answer was nope, I'm taking it with me. If I can't do that call William, and he will take it with him.
    They have no interest in my guns and tools. They can't stand the noise, and are politically incorrect. I've willed it all to those I've enjoyed shooting with.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast