Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 Mag Squirrel shot

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    I would like to try the 357 maximum case for a 357 shot load.
    I tried that . . . case is too long, won't chamber . . . in my Rugers.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

Flounderman

Get yaself some 222 rem dies , then anneal the 357max brass .

Size to the shoulder , it still tite in the chamber but be patient.

Load ya powder 3-3.5 grs. of fast powder , a card then the shot , another card.

Lower the die until ya get a good crimp from the shoulder in the die , now it`ll chamber , seal with water proof carpenters glue .

& enjoy !!!!
    Last edited by GP100man; 07-19-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spelun
    GP100man

Boolit Master
    From experience, as range increases, the pattern would become doughnut in shape due to the effect of the rifling - meaning it opens up to have a hole in the center. It works better to hold off to the side of the target a little - how much depends on range.

A 22 bolt action with CB's is the best if possible.

Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

You may file this under bizzare, but it was a potentially effective squirrel load.

I had Nagant revolvers once and I made 7.62x38R cases from spent 223 cases. They worked well and actually gas sealed.

The best load I found was to take three 32 caliber buckshot balls, wrap them up like a tootsie roll with drafting vellum (cotton rag paper, similar to the stuff dollar bills are made of), and put a very small charge (2-3 grains I forget exactly) of tightgroup behind it. They would roll along at 800 FPS or so I think, however it was hard to tell because the crony I borrowed would give goofy readings of the three projectiles and the paper wad. The buckshot was cast out of a lee mold and the bullets measured pretty consistent. At 25 yards they would impact within a few inches of each other. Any one of them would bring down a squirrel no matter where it hit. The problem was those Nagants were a bear to shoot and the sights weren't adjustable except by file, and I was loath to start that. Back then Nagants were cheap but were starting to pick up value and I didn't want to mess with them. I ended up selling them later for more than I bought them for.

I do imagine that 327 Mag revolver could do the same thing, though. Though I'm sure the gas sealing effect helped keep the tootsie roll intact, I'm not sure it was needed.

Personally if you want the ultimate squirrel handgun there is no question: get one of those 410 shotgun revolvers. 410 is an amazing squirrel and rabbit load out of a rifle and it couldn't be much worse in those revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you live in the country a revolver loaded with birdshot is an absolutely miserable problem solver for an excessive or annoying squirrel problem.

Effective range is way too short. Squirrels don’t let you get within 15 feet. Revolver shot loads are fine for snakes at near your feet....like 3-5 foot distance. They are simply a noisemaker rather than an effective way to take squirrels out.

If you need quiet try 40 grain CCI Quiet segmented hollowpoint. If some noise is tolerable try 1050 fps CCI subsonic hollowpoints.

Revolver shot loads and “fail” are synonymous for what your neighbor or you plan for squirrel control. 410 “shotgun” revolvers also pattern poorly due to rifling being present and are not worth spending lots of money on to get ineffective performance.

I’ve shot them. Squirrel control they are not. I would agree a .410 is decent short range squirrel control out of a shotgun...don’t know where the .410 “rifle” suggestion came from. From any rifled barrel including revolvers shot loads are worthless for squirrels.
    Last edited by 35remington; 11-26-2019 at 01:36 PM.

^^^what .35 Remington said^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Seems the OP has a special case where he can be closer to them. I did not have that situation where I lived and the little critters did learn to stay out of range. I ended up with a pellet rifle and scope. Worked but I could never get all of them. We finally ended up with a solution, ferrets. A family of them moved in and within a couple of weeks they decimated the squirrel, chipmunk and packrat population. Then they moved on. After that we only had packrats to deal with.

PS father-in-law lived where they sometimes had snake problems. He carried the speer shotshells in his .357 and they worked well at rattlesnake range.

Boolit Master

I made a comment #20 nine years ago, and I stand by that post today!!!

I have since tried (2 different times, hoping) T/C 14" Contenders chamber in 45 Colt and capable of shooting 410 shot shells also. The screw-in choke is to stop the rotation of the wad/shot to help with patterns...

Well, I have wounded rabbits at 10 yards, that's 30 feet! And I had to run them down as they were crippled trying to get away. I think those barrels are worthless also--but that's just me...

Pellet guns or 22 shorts likely are the best...
    (Or maybe ferrets--I've absolutely never heard of that method of pest control !!!)

Good-luck...BCB

I acquired nearly forty pounds of irregular shot that is around #10-12. Being a certified cheapskate, I used an empty 357 case to punch wads out of a clean styrofoam meat tray. I used a standard SP primer, 3.0 gr Red Dot, with one of the wads on top, pressed down with a dowel. Then 75 gr of the shot, and another wad on top. Seal the top with Elmer's Glue or equivalent. When I have shot at a paper plate at 7 yards, I get very even patterns, albeit the pellets are rather small.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master
    Add slow on top of small. 3 grains Red Dot in a 357 or 38 case generates low velocity.

Boolit Buddy
    A little off topic...but a rat trap baited with crunchy peanut butter will also work....

I have had excellent luck with CCI Quiet ammo. In fact it will cycle through both of my 552 Speedmasters and they are pretty accurate as well. I believe it is a 40 gr boolit so it hits with some authority. Squirrels and chipmunks are DRT.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Not shot loads but a solution maybe. Back in the 60s the Air Force bought a bunch of the plastic bullets with cases that used a Large Pistol primer as propellent. Pretty decent accuracy up to about 15 yards on paper out of their .38 Specials. I've seen them at gun shows since. A friend worked there and brought a handful home to use in his Colt Trooper. Ran out of Large Pistol primers so he substituted Large Rifle primers and carried on. Forgot he'd done that. Here come's the neighbor's rooster through the tomato patch pecking. Grabbed the Trooper and gave him one to run him out of the garden. Ever had to tell your neighbor you killed his rooster. Might be a solution if you're hunting a short range fairly quiet load for yard pests. Probably some still around. Easily loaded with a nail to remove the fired primer. Speer made them as I recall. I live in the country and my Ruger Blackhawk with a Keith gets the nod for such chores./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

The 357 max case is what you need if you want a usable shot shell. You have to neck the end of the case down to fit the cylinder throats. this will give much more capacity than the capsules can contain, and will clear the end of the cylinder.

personally I think it would still be lacking! That is why I skipped the 357, and went with the 45 colt, using 460 S&W brass. necked to 41 cal in a 41 mag resizing die.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loaded-brass.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	252433

as you see I do as was said charge it with the proper powder to get your prefered performance, I use ww231, I place a pasteboard wad I punch out of a cereal box using a 45 acp case to fit tight down on the powder, using a pencil to puush it down on the charge. Then fill the entire case with shot, then another pasteboard disc on top. I then very lightly touch the mouth with my roll crimp die, and lastly drip a couple drops of bees wax on the top to seal it, paraffin would work as well.

Name:	Loaded.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	252434

I have an extremely strong revolver the Blackhawk, so I use what I consider a Ruger only load after working up to it. I have killed small game out to 30 yards with these #7 1/2 loads. This is a full water bottle that was shot at 25 yards, as well as a Turkey target at the same range. notice the water bottle was not only penetrated on the front side, but many pellets exited the bottle full of water and tightly capped on the back side! These are well over 1/2 oz shotshells rivalling 410 shells, probably a tad faster? But the best shotshell ammo I have ever witnessed in a revolver, including a Judge!

Name:	Full-WB-15'-II.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	252435

Name:	full-WB-15'-III.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	252436

Name:	first-atempt.jpg 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	252437

Name:	results-day-1-250-grn-shot.jpg 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	252438

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Seems the OP has a special case where he can be closer to them. I did not have that situation where I lived and the little critters did learn to stay out of range. I ended up with a pellet rifle and scope. Worked but I could never get all of them. We finally ended up with a solution, ferrets. A family of them moved in and within a couple of weeks they decimated the squirrel, chipmunk and packrat population. Then they moved on. After that we only had packrats to deal with.

PS father-in-law lived where they sometimes had snake problems. He carried the speer shotshells in his .357 and they worked well at rattlesnake range.
    I can tell ya they weren’t ferrets probably mink or weasels. True ferrets have been domesticated so long they are in capable of living in the wild .
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    wildcatter; excellent idea. May try the 357Max using a 32 H&R to neck it down.

I don't know how many snakes a member has shot but I have shot a lot of them. Most non poisonous water snakes. Most shot with 22LRs. at fairly close range with time to aim. Snakes are tough critters and if you don't hit them in the head or blow it in half they have a lot of life left in them. Our poison snakes have more mass than other varieties and can soak up a lot of shot. Patterns shot on targets doesn't translate into killing power especially on snakes. I have never shot a snake that was attacking. I avoided shooting snakes that I was hunting because it docked the hide price. I did shoot a few where I got in situation of multiple snakes that I couldn't handle safely. The only thing I can say about shot on snakes is that it will cause them to quit what they are doing and coil. Giving you time to plant a bullet in them.

Never had a problem back tith the Contender 45/410 10" and this is stoked with 5/8 oz and hitting just as hard, if you can't stop em with 1 shot of these you got some awful tough snakes! but even an Anaconda ain't taken all six if I'm shoot'n it!

Even if I shoot em at 25 yards if them pellets can penetrate 3 1/2" of water, and still penetrate the plastic bottles back side, it will penetrate any snake at 15 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Three-Fifty-Seven View Post
    I tried that . . . case is too long, won't chamber . . . in my Rugers.
    Part of the fun playing with any Wildcat cartridge, you make it fit, this is as easy as that get's. Lots to choose from, but this will get you to the longest version that will!

Name:	casetrimmer_white-3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	252812

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12